Career Officer
# 31
10-22-2013, 03:45 PM
An unbelievable number of STO players turn into total crybabies when asked to do ground combat. Which causes me to fear that, despite how awesome it is, this zone is going to be mostly deserted once the novelty wears off. Most of the encounters can be handled by a couple of people, but the bosses can't.

I hope the rewards are high enough to drag people in who might otherwise be unwilling.
Lieutenant
# 32
10-22-2013, 03:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedoctorbluebox View Post
I'll answer that, more missions, more storyline missions, FE's, etc....

Not more ques IMO, there are enough que's right now, and they are drying up with players cause, if you keep adding more, it's just going to spread out players even more and be harder to get a que going
So... you want your multiplayer game to have more single player content?

I like to play the featured series, but in the end, you play it once, and you never look back unless you need the reward a second time (And then you usually groan for having to play through that awfully long spacewalk over DS9 yet again).
Single player content such as this gets old rather fast unless you dish out a new storymission at least once a week, and even that would get boring soon without any new game mechanics.

MMOs need content you play with other people who provide an element of Randomness to it, be it PvP or PvE, and on that front the new combat zone actually looks really good.
Join Starfleet!
Boldly go where no man has gone before!
Meet interesting new species... and Kill them!
Career Officer
# 33
10-22-2013, 03:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by futurepastnow View Post
An unbelievable number of STO players turn into total crybabies when asked to do ground combat. Which causes me to fear that, despite how awesome it is, this zone is going to be mostly deserted once the novelty wears off. Most of the encounters can be handled by a couple of people, but the bosses can't.

I hope the rewards are high enough to drag people in who might otherwise be unwilling.
My fear as well, I keep seeing que's dry up, and I'm afraid just adding more is going to spread players out more, and others will dry up even more, and eventually, this one too after the novelty has worn off.
"Would you mind not standing on my chest? My hat's on fire." - The Doctor

My Let's Play Series of STO - http://www.youtube.com/user/JustGaming4Us
Captain
# 34
10-22-2013, 03:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffel82 View Post
I've been avoiding the Tribble content because I want S8 to be new and fresh when it launches, but I must say this looks fun as heck.
So have I, but with this I couldn't resist. It's pretty awesome.
Lt. Commander
# 35
10-22-2013, 03:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by red01999 View Post
So have I, but with this I couldn't resist. It's pretty awesome.
Same here. Haven't gotten to test the Siege tho... every time the event's about to start (=loaded), my client crashes - same happens to two of my friends, every single time we're about to enter the zone.
~~~~[ signed by ]~~~~
FED: Mir Fnar <S>, Shillegah Z'Cknli <R,E>, Neane <E>
KDF: A'ma <T>, Ethexio <S>
~~~~[ in game since 2010 ]~[ accolades: 13,910 pts ]
Career Officer
# 36
10-22-2013, 04:14 PM
Question: and I hope a Dev could pipe in:

How does the mission chose the Boffs that beam in with you? Obviously they will be from your away-team cadre - but is it simply the top two listed? Is it random?

Sorry in advanced if this has been addressed already.
Career Officer
# 37
10-22-2013, 04:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by badname834854 View Post

How does the mission chose the Boffs that beam in with you? Obviously they will be from your away-team cadre - but is it simply the top two listed? Is it random?

Probably like every other thing in the game that beams in your Boffs, you select which ones to beam in with the drop down box when you start the thing.
"Would you mind not standing on my chest? My hat's on fire." - The Doctor

My Let's Play Series of STO - http://www.youtube.com/user/JustGaming4Us
Career Officer
# 38
10-22-2013, 04:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by badname834854 View Post

I believe they answered that in one of the Tribble feedback threads- right now you enter the zone via a special contact for testing and it doesn't give you a choice (in fact it didn't give me any of my boffs at all). But that is just temporary. Once the actual means of getting to the zone is put in, it'll let you choose.
Captain
# 39
10-22-2013, 04:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ursusmorologus View Post
The games that I enjoy the longest are the ones that simply provide a framework for player interaction and then get out of the way. Trading, diplomacy, PVP, these things only need a framework and do not use premade content that must be repeated ad-infinitum as a substitute. I want to engage with the universe, not replay the same structured queues over and over and over.

edit--I enjoy adventure zones a fair amount, they are fun to explore and dink around with. They seem to be generally popular until they are turned into queues then they empty out (cf Nukara)
Agreed, I would love for their to be more PVP oriented content, and I think if they simply made repeatable content different each time so that it's not just cookie cutter grind with the same formula working every time to complete. Have the end boss be random instead of always donatra (for example) maybe have some random optionals like defeat all the cubes within x time or destroy right gate within x time, etc. Maybe even some of the "keep x team members alive" type optionals. Things that make you do the mission a different way each time to get the optional, and really make the optional worth getting. But basically, if it's going to be repeatable "basically" the same misison over and over, throw a few curve balls here and there. Though not spheres that run away 24/7, that's not a curve ball, that's just annoying, lol.
Captain
# 40
10-22-2013, 04:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ulukayx View Post
So... you want your multiplayer game to have more single player content?

I like to play the featured series, but in the end, you play it once, and you never look back unless you need the reward a second time (And then you usually groan for having to play through that awfully long spacewalk over DS9 yet again).
Single player content such as this gets old rather fast unless you dish out a new storymission at least once a week, and even that would get boring soon without any new game mechanics.

MMOs need content you play with other people who provide an element of Randomness to it, be it PvP or PvE, and on that front the new combat zone actually looks really good.
How about a mission that queues equal numbers of klingons and feds and they work together for the first part, for example, clearing the voth, and once the voth are out of the way, it's a free for all to see who takes the "optional" reward? Queued pve and pvp all rolled into one, lol.