Captain
# 21
10-22-2013, 02:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by amosov78 View Post
It did sort of annoy me that they went for the actual Enterprise-D CGI kitbash version of the Nebula-class, rather than the physical studio model. Not that it isn't a valid version to use, but I'd have preferred the latter.
The studio model is as much a kitbash as the CGI one.
"...from hell's heart, I stab at thee...for hate's sake, I spit my last breath...at thee..."
- Khan's last words
Career Officer
# 22
10-22-2013, 02:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kojirohellfire View Post
The studio model is as much a kitbash as the CGI one.
And I didn't say it wasn't. I just preferred the thicker saucer rim, and different secondary hull/deflector array.
---------------------------------------------------
U.S.S. Endeavour NCC-91771 - Nebula-class
Commanding Officer: Captain Pyotr Ramonovich Amosov
Dedication Plaque: "Leave nothing unattempted" - James Cook
Captain
# 23
10-22-2013, 02:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by amosov78 View Post
And I didn't say it wasn't. I just preferred the thicker saucer rim, and different secondary hull/deflector array.
Okay, it just seemed peculiar that you called the CGI model a kitbash specifically when both models are mutts.
"...from hell's heart, I stab at thee...for hate's sake, I spit my last breath...at thee..."
- Khan's last words
Career Officer
# 24
10-22-2013, 03:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kojirohellfire View Post
Okay, it just seemed peculiar that you called the CGI model a kitbash specifically when both models are mutts.
What I meant was that rather than use the studio model as reference for creating a completely new CGI model, Rob Bonchune was just given the existing "Generations" CGI Enterprise-D to construct the new CGI Nebula-class with.

In doing so the CGI Nebula has features that now even more closely resemble its "parent" the Galaxy-class than before. The physical Nebula model, even though a kitbash of the Galaxy, still had areas which had been altered; such as the deflector array, general shape of the secondary hull, saucer rim thickness, and different looking RCS thrusters on the saucer, when generally compared to the Galaxy-class anyway.

Last edited by amosov78; 10-24-2013 at 12:14 AM.
Lt. Commander
# 25
10-22-2013, 04:12 PM
I'd love to see the ships remastered so they look perfect.
Survivor of Romulus
# 26
10-22-2013, 06:04 PM
I'm all for this. Just because these are older models doesn't mean that people don't use them. I mean, when the Reagent came out many didn't like the appearance so just kept the Sovereign skin but with the better stats.

For me, the worst offenders are as follows:
- Galaxy-R
- Intrepid
- Akira
- Nebula (more of a pet peeve - the stardrive section seems too "flat")

These are more well know ships, but I'm in agreement that the golfball ships need a pass too as well as most of the canon stock KDF ships like the K'tinga and the Negh'var.

Looking past even the issue with poor quality ship models I think there are a lot of things in STO which need a pass over. Many people say they quite like the game but it looks poor quality in many areas which is a result of the rush to push the game out the door, where frankly it's been said many of the devs frankly didn't care about the game they just wanted it done.

Redo DS9, it's awful... seriously. Considering it's still the busiest social zone for both factions it looks absolutely nothing like the one from the show. I know it got a very basic pass before the 2800 series but it's still a horrible mess. Where's Odo's old security office? Where's the infirmary? Why is Quark a different instance? It had a bar facing onto the promenade too!? Why do we board our ship from starship requisitions? It's no where near the docking ring! There are just SO many things wrong with it, I really don't understand how it was left to get so bad in the first place! We don't even need to have a full "circle" if you like, just give us this: http://pat.suwalski.net/film/st-stag...es/stage17.png and have the turbolifts give options to go to the docking ring where we can do stuff from shipyards and board our ships. Also, no Defiant docked on the external model .

Another thing, decide on a standard NPC uniform and run with it. I see NPC's in the default costume, Jupiter uniforms, first contact uniforms etc etc... it stinks of poor quality control and lack of direction within the dev team.
http://stosignatures.ufplanets.com/Terrell-STO.png

Looking for a dedicated Star Trek community? Visit www.ufplanets.com for details.

Last edited by ufpterrell; 10-22-2013 at 06:14 PM.
Career Officer
# 27
10-22-2013, 06:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ufpterrell View Post
- Nebula (more of a pet peeve - the stardrive section seems too "flat")
And that the starboard nacelle has port-side navigation lights. That's driven me nuts since the Nebula was added....
Captain
# 28
10-22-2013, 07:08 PM
At times the games don't get all the detailing right. Or some other glitches pop up. But at least you got good detailing on them. I can't complain too much on the looks. Unless its really horrible. So far, I have been impressed with what ships we have to use.
Ensign
# 29
10-23-2013, 03:01 AM
To me it'd be enough if at least the hullmarkings were applied to the Sovereign. She is the only ship (to my knowledge) that has no markings.

This is surely not such a big effort... Or am I wrong here?

I expect not equal a complete overhaul of the ship, but at least this detail but should be available. Finally, she is a Starfleet ship and should therefore bear the emblem of the Federation, right?

Last edited by an672b1; 10-23-2013 at 03:05 AM.
Career Officer
# 30
10-23-2013, 03:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by an672b1 View Post
To me it'd be enough if at least the hullmarkings were applied to the Sovereign. She is the only ship (to my knowledge) that has no markings.

This is surely not such a big effort... Or am I wrong here?
The Chimera-class also has no hull markings other than the ship name and registry.