Career Officer
# 1 Painting the Spacedock Beige
10-21-2013, 08:11 PM
I was on not that long ago and what I noticed was that Earth Spacedock was considerably more "Trek" than I had previously given it credit for. I'd seen each of the revamps but until I took a break from the game and came back, it never occurred to me how many of the shapes and designs are Trek authentic.

But the color scheme is really what's off.

If ESD was more cream, white, black, and beige with yellow illuminated fixtures and yellow holograms and if the LCARS had more color to them, it would look considerably more authentic.

Now, I'd never suggest this as a priority project but I do think a color scheme that's a mix of the Enterprise-D and Odyssey would FEEL more right.

Maybe this would work in conjunction with instanced ESD and Qo'noS PvP or Fleet Action/invasion maps.
Starfleet Veteran
# 2
10-21-2013, 08:19 PM
It'd probably be unpopular, but I don't see why they don't use the Aquarius/New Federation tutorial interior, as the design of ESD and the other starbase installations you can visit. At least then it'd fit in more with the rest of the 25th century Starfleet.
---------------------------------------------------
U.S.S. Endeavour NCC-91771 - Nebula-class
Commanding Officer: Captain Pyotr Ramonovich Amosov
Dedication Plaque: "Leave nothing unattempted" - James Cook
Career Officer
# 3
10-21-2013, 08:58 PM
I think both of you are on to something. If it does come time to improve the ESD maps, your ideas seem reasonable.
STO Forum:
Where the Human Adventure is Just Beginning!

Exploring STO Since Pavement.
Admiral Quinn was never over ALL of Starfleet << Link
Give the Art Team time to fix the K't'inga << Link
Career Officer
# 4
10-21-2013, 09:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoleviathan99 View Post
I was on not that long ago and what I noticed was that Earth Spacedock was considerably more "Trek" than I had previously given it credit for. I'd seen each of the revamps but until I took a break from the game and came back, it never occurred to me how many of the shapes and designs are Trek authentic.

But the color scheme is really what's off.

If ESD was more cream, white, black, and beige with yellow illuminated fixtures and yellow holograms and if the LCARS had more color to them, it would look considerably more authentic.

Now, I'd never suggest this as a priority project but I do think a color scheme that's a mix of the Enterprise-D and Odyssey would FEEL more right.

Maybe this would work in conjunction with instanced ESD and Qo'noS PvP or Fleet Action/invasion maps.
The only time we ever saw the insides of ESD was in the TOS Movies, especially ST3's beginning when we saw Chapel gawk at the wounded Enterprise when she docked. And it surely wasn't TNG-beige.

And the blue was the trait of 2409.

But anyhow, Taco recently posted how he would like to redo ESD interior. Perhaps if he gets the green light, he might see this and keep that in mind.
Career Officer
# 5
10-21-2013, 09:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by azurianstar View Post
The only time we ever saw the insides of ESD was in the TOS Movies, especially ST3's beginning when we saw Rand gawk at the wounded Enterprise when she docked. And it surely wasn't TNG-beige.

But anyhow, Taco recently posted how he would like to redo ESD interior. Perhaps if he gets the green light, he might see this and keep that in mind.
Fixed that for ya.
STO Forum:
Where the Human Adventure is Just Beginning!

Exploring STO Since Pavement.
Admiral Quinn was never over ALL of Starfleet << Link
Give the Art Team time to fix the K't'inga << Link
Career Officer
# 6
10-22-2013, 01:02 AM
Quote:
The only time we ever saw the insides of ESD was in the TOS Movies, especially ST3's beginning when we saw Chapel gawk at the wounded Enterprise when she docked. And it surely wasn't TNG-beige.

I feel like the basic look of Club 47 isn't a bad nod to the disco bar where McCoy was but the big thing I see is that Starfleet installations tend to be... homier looking.

Lose the gun metal and the blue and you have something Trekkier. The features are a bit overdesigned and look techno-organic/comic booky but I think the color scheme is more at fault.

If we're looking at a total makeover, I still submit that DS9 would benefit more. It could tie to a Nor fleet holding and/or an adventure zone makeover. Being cross-faction already means it benefits everyone. Being an IP location means it is more insulated from the "dinosaurs with laser cannons are not Trek" type complaints.

The downside is that it means some missions have to get revisited by the content folks. The upside is that at least some of those can be incorporated into the zone, along with maybe some lost elements like the Fleet Action.
Career Officer
# 7
10-22-2013, 01:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by psiameese View Post

Fixed that for ya.
So it is, always thought that was Majel since she sort of looked like her. My loss.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoleviathan99 View Post
I feel like the basic look of Club 47 isn't a bad nod to the disco bar where McCoy was but the big thing I see is that Starfleet installations tend to be... homier looking.

Lose the gun metal and the blue and you have something Trekkier. The features are a bit overdesigned and look techno-organic/comic booky but I think the color scheme is more at fault.

If we're looking at a total makeover, I still submit that DS9 would benefit more. It could tie to a Nor fleet holding and/or an adventure zone makeover. Being cross-faction already means it benefits everyone. Being an IP location means it is more insulated from the "dinosaurs with laser cannons are not Trek" type complaints.

The downside is that it means some missions have to get revisited by the content folks. The upside is that at least some of those can be incorporated into the zone, along with maybe some lost elements like the Fleet Action.
After watching that clip of the Enterprise's arrival, again, it got me thinking that maybe ESD should go with the late 70s Sci Fi techno look that we see in that scene, instead of a TNG or 2409 appearance? But ESD does to need a bit more color to her than blues and grays.

Honestly if they ever do a true ESD Revamp, I would like them to split off the areas into the Civilian and Military areas, never seemed legit with them mixing them into one location. Always invisioned you arrive in the transporter room and enter a huge lobby and on the far end a huge bay window you can view the interior of the space dock with ships passing by like at the shipyard.

But that's me.

DS9 interior needing a makeover? Eh, I really don't see it needing a complete overhaul, but Quark's does need holosuites (can be Foundry portals), and of course them adding the Security Office, the Infirmary, and of course the Klingon restaurant. Especially since they kicked out D'vak, they need to do something that gives players to visit there more often.

Always was disappointed the Devs never had a real creativity with items, could imagine that place be busy as a bazaar with all those shops.
Career Officer
# 8
10-22-2013, 05:39 PM
Quote:

So it is, always thought that was Majel since she sort of looked like her. My loss.

After watching that clip of the Enterprise's arrival, again, it got me thinking that maybe ESD should go with the late 70s Sci Fi techno look that we see in that scene, instead of a TNG or 2409 appearance? But ESD does to need a bit more color to her than blues and grays.

Honestly if they ever do a true ESD Revamp, I would like them to split off the areas into the Civilian and Military areas, never seemed legit with them mixing them into one location. Always invisioned you arrive in the transporter room and enter a huge lobby and on the far end a huge bay window you can view the interior of the space dock with ships passing by like at the shipyard.

But that's me.

DS9 interior needing a makeover? Eh, I really don't see it needing a complete overhaul, but Quark's does need holosuites (can be Foundry portals), and of course them adding the Security Office, the Infirmary, and of course the Klingon restaurant. Especially since they kicked out D'vak, they need to do something that gives players to visit there more often.

Always was disappointed the Devs never had a real creativity with items, could imagine that place be busy as a bazaar with all those shops.
Well, I'd also like to see the civilian military split but I'd also like all those Ferengi around who are contraband traders to sell weapons or something.

As for DS9, my idea is to make it a full adventure zone like New Romulus. Part of the revamp is adding the infirmary and security but also making the promenade more than just kiosks, with actual shops. Maybe adjust the added on areas to be docked ships.

Have melee brawling missions in Quarks and periodic invasions of the upper promenade along with tons of New Romulus style missions and periodic events to give it life, such as investigations, trade, etc.

I'd also be inclined to tie a rep to it that launches only after completing the 2800 and have your rep tier determine which version of Ops you go to, with a storyline that involves the removal of Kurland. Kurland's incompetence is a subject on the forums and it might be fun for Borticus as an actor to give of Kurland's descent. The rep could be tied to bringing DS9 to its former glory. Maybe it could involve Worf's grandson taking command from Kurland since he's a DS9 based character we no longer see in the open world.

So at T1 rep, we go to a version of Ops that's the standard version and as rep tiers proceed, thing fall apart and get pur back together. At T4, Kurland is gone. At T5, the new commander is in place. Handled backend by having 4 copies of ops.

Have Cardassian vole hunting similar to Epohh breeding on the lower decks. Have high level rep grand access to personal quarters on DS9 with the ability to place ship trophies and maybe do crafting or cooking or the like. The set for personal quarters is very close to the briefing room set used in The 2800.

What I'm picturing is a DS9 with maybe about 40-60% more interior, a rep, a Quark's makeover, and activities which a content designer can periodically add to without needing new maps.

Heck, maybe handle passage of time post 2409 as a DS9 centered rep. So you have DS9:Year1 rep. And a year later new activities and rewards and another 5 rep tiers for DS9: Year 2 rep. If hubs and adventure zones were handled this way, they could be continuously added onto every year.
Captain
# 9
10-22-2013, 06:09 PM
Q put it there, blame him...
I send three purple diplomats on a simple gift exchange and they blow it...
I send three white bartenders on a three day wilderness training exercise and the crit it...
Cryptic Studios Team
# 10
10-22-2013, 06:15 PM
I don't think a coat of paint will remedy ESD's interior.
-The Artist formerly known as Tumerboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightybobcnc View Post
Tacofangs, what is your beef with where's Sulu?