Starfleet Veteran
# 301
10-21-2013, 12:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by starkaos View Post
The devs have said that if the Dyson Reputation works well, then the other reputations would get modified to match it as well, but that likely would be a Season 9 change.
I could see the change before season 9. The dyson rep tech is new and Geko or someone stated they waited till S8 to test it with all the release stuff. But if it is proven, then they can clone it to the others, using Dyson as a template and update the other reps mid season. On the other hand, if they want to see its reception from the player base, it could take a few months to get a warm fuzzy, then they may just work it into the S9 release just to make a simpler work flow. I am not sure, my speculation, I would not be surprised if it happens before S9.
PvE Jem'Hadar motto: Participation Ribbons are life.
Starfleet Veteran
# 302
10-21-2013, 12:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by noctusxxx View Post
I have to agree, that while this may ease leveling the rep for some, it is not enough of a change for people that run 10 or more toons.

But, given that zen/dil sales and exchanges are the life blood of this game, it is unlikely we will ever seem more then this kind of token effort to alter the current mechanics.
I think account rep is better for micro transactions. Fewer alts, fewer ships and gear purchased per human being. Me as an example, I am down to an engineer and tactical. The battlecruiser actually could be the last ship I buy in a very long time for both. And since my KDF never gets played I haven't bought a kdf ship since their 3 pack released, and won't till they are given rep. Finally my romulan flies a DD that was free for leveling and mk x green gear, never started rep. I enjoyed the rommie leveling experience, but not the thought of 4 reps so no romulan sales.

Account bound rep is not something for nothing, some form of laziness, or anything negative. It permits altoholics to enjoy diversity. STO gives us account bound rep, we give them account wide purchases. STO gives us character bound rep, and sto gets character wide purchases. To further that, I am still using the alts to get doffs routinely and run doff missions so i get more EC by selling common doffs, hoping for greens and blues to actually keep on the roster. But the EC permits me to buy stuff off the exchagne instead of lock box keys. I really don't understand why alts get deleted by some with extra unused slots, there is a possibility they could be used in the future. And as far as content goes, I am only playing the end episodes twice instead of 10 times because the alts are stored on my sleeper ship. Also rep missions would probably be played as much or more because the alts have account bound rep, but character bound gear which means that isntead of running rep twice, I would run it once for xp, then on my alts for gear. I see account bound rep increasing my utilization of the rep based missions.
Cryptic Studios Team
# 303
10-21-2013, 03:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by milanvorius View Post
I could see the change before season 9. The dyson rep tech is new and Geko or someone stated they waited till S8 to test it with all the release stuff. But if it is proven, then they can clone it to the others, using Dyson as a template and update the other reps mid season. On the other hand, if they want to see its reception from the player base, it could take a few months to get a warm fuzzy, then they may just work it into the S9 release just to make a simpler work flow. I am not sure, my speculation, I would not be surprised if it happens before S9.
It's a bit more complicated than simply "cloning" the Dyson Joint Command rep. We need to make sure the existing reps are giving out meaningful and varied items in the Equipment Requisition boxes and stores unlocked at each tier are selling valuable items. In some cases, we'd ideally create new set items and algorithmically generated items (the stuff you see in the dilithium stores) to flesh out the reputation so that there's meaningful rewards at each tier.

That said, if players enjoy the new reputation we'd want to make sure the experience is consistent across all reps.

TL;DR version: Updating older reps will require a lot of work, it's too early to say precisely when we would perform this update.

Regards,
Phil "Gorngonzolla" Zeleski
Career Officer
# 304
10-21-2013, 03:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gorngonzolla View Post
It's a bit more complicated than simply "cloning" the Dyson Joint Command rep. We need to make sure the existing reps are giving out meaningful and varied items in the Equipment Requisition boxes and stores unlocked at each tier are selling valuable items. In some cases, we'd ideally create new set items and algorithmically generated items (the stuff you see in the dilithium stores) to flesh out the reputation so that there's meaningful rewards at each tier.

That said, if players enjoy the new reputation we'd want to make sure the experience is consistent across all reps.

TL;DR version: Updating older reps will require a lot of work, it's too early to say precisely when we would perform this update.

Regards,
I think it's safe to say we enjoy the random loot *as a bonus*. Don't increase the costs on the old Reps to accommodate and it's all good if you ever decide to update the older Reps.

As long as it *stays going forward*, then I'm fine ultimately.
Captain
# 305
10-21-2013, 03:17 PM
Quote:

Regards,
Translation: Likely won't be updated until they can find time in the schedule (between the constant lockboxes, and other money-grabbing shenanigans).

Sad really
Rihannsu
# 306
10-21-2013, 03:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by druhin View Post
Translation: Likely won't be updated until they can find time in the schedule (between the constant lockboxes, and other money-grabbing shenanigans).

Sad really
yes they really should stop the money grabbing. you know that currency that keeps the game developed and the devs in a job.

House of Cards - Lvl 46 Fed mission
Captain
# 307
10-21-2013, 03:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainrevo1 View Post
yes they really should stop the money grabbing. you know that currency that keeps the game developed and the devs in a job.
Sarcasm aside, it's sad when they forego creating new content, or bringing older content upto speed, in order to release a "new lockbox" for a quick buck. But I digress...

And hope to see the rest of the reputation categories updated accordingly within the forseeable future.
Republic Veteran
# 308
10-21-2013, 03:48 PM
Quote:

Regards,
Even if you just changed the project inputs of the old reps to be more like the Dyson rep that would be a massive improvement.

In other words, I wouldn't be sad to see improvement roll out over time in pieces instead of waiting a long time and having it all done as once. Of course I don't know if doing it in bits is even viable.
Rihannsu
# 309
10-22-2013, 03:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by druhin View Post
Sarcasm aside, it's sad when they forego creating new content, or bringing older content upto speed, in order to release a "new lockbox" for a quick buck. But I digress...
Its not sad, its just reality. You could technically argue there are a thousand things that need to be done now, but if they dont constantly create ways to get more money then the game will very quickly shut down. if there is no new lockbox at the launch of season 8 then the vast majority of returning people will turn up, play it, leave while having nothing to new to buy. thats how the majority play MMO's that are f2p.

there is a big difference between a quick buck and continuous revenue. the reason we are getting larger and larger updates for free is because of these lockboxes go hand in hand. you cant just do one without the other. its development suicide.

They offer the game for free, they offer this new FE free, season 8 update for free, the winter event for free. its not exactly like there is no new content coming. some things will get delayed because of its priority (and to draw the relevant feedback from the new system) and they cant make everything at once.

House of Cards - Lvl 46 Fed mission
Starfleet Veteran
# 310
10-22-2013, 09:18 PM
I wonder if more consequence could be added. I would like harder stuff, better drops for increased difficulty, and real consequences for failing. I just feel like a grade schooler that gets a pat on the back for a good shot, even if I kick the ball in my own goal.

New content isn't the problem, it is just too darn easy. Increased difficulty just makes it take longer because the enemies don't die as fast, but I don't typically have problems with being sploded.

I really want consequence and less rep.