Captain
# 31
10-22-2013, 10:19 PM
The True Way could be an interesting new faction. They'd give players an opportunity to play the "bad guys", but they're not so evil that they'll betray the galaxy to the Iconians. Available species would be Cardassian, Jem'Hadar, Changeling, and maybe Breen.
Say NO to mandatory Arc!
Captain
# 32
10-22-2013, 10:23 PM
But as Cryptic has said, they're not going to let us play bad guys, so True Way is extremely unlikely as a faction.
"...from hell's heart, I stab at thee...for hate's sake, I spit my last breath...at thee..."
- Khan's last words
Career Officer
# 33
10-23-2013, 12:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by markhawkman View Post
Yes, I was wondering about that too. what was the given reason for their infertility? Part of my brain wants me to think it was due to their life prolonging experiments.
Quote:
Originally Posted by admiralq1732 View Post
I didn't see anything about infertility.
See: http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Son%27a
Quote:
Some sociologists attributed their aggressive behavior to desperation, brought on by their infertility. On a more positive note, the Son'a were highly praised for their accomplishments in the arts, the high quality of their vinting and their "hospitable" attitude towards personal relationships.
Memory Alpha is as good a source as any. It's likely their infertility is the result of radiation poisoning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by psycoticvulcan View Post
The True Way could be an interesting new faction. They'd give players an opportunity to play the "bad guys", but they're not so evil that they'll betray the galaxy to the Iconians.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kojirohellfire View Post
But as Cryptic has said, they're not going to let us play bad guys, so True Way is extremely unlikely as a faction.
As kojirohellfire has righly stated, Cryptic wont do True Way because they represent evil, and Cryptic can't / don't want to do an evil faction. Besides, what you've described psycoticvulcan is Dominion Mk II. not only have we had the whole Dominion theme, but they'd also represent an evil faction, so no go again.
Republic Veteran
# 34
10-23-2013, 07:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kojirohellfire View Post
well that bad or 'evil' part is open to interpretation. for example the romulans in the rse don't see themselves as bad or evil. just because a hakeev lead tal shiar was evil, it didn't mean every one was.

is the federation bad or evil because of franklin drake or slone? section 31 etc. what's to say since the feds are the bad guys to the kdf they don't think of the federation as evil?

it's down to a matter of perspective and in your faction your the good guys and any one else is your bad guys.

if we can't have bad factions any more are we going to add the kdf and everyone else to the federation? it's getting far too carebear if we can't have bad guys any more. can you imagine a star wars game like the old republic with out the sith/imperial empire... wait no surely not they are evil and bad

Last edited by wazzagiow; 10-23-2013 at 07:41 AM.
Ensign
# 35
10-23-2013, 08:01 AM
Only way I could see it happening would be if it was a elite unit set up under Garek, possible the only person with enough clout and trusted by Alpha/Beta quadrant powers to run such a faction. Then have the missions be base around eliminating the opposition in Cardassian space to joining the Federation and cleaning up some of Cardassia dirty little secrets that they would rather those powers not know about.

May be they could also work closely with Section 31.

Last edited by fireseeed; 10-23-2013 at 04:14 PM.
Rihannsu
# 36
10-23-2013, 09:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by flash525 View Post
See: http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Son%27aMemory Alpha is as good a source as any. It's likely their infertility is the result of radiation poisoning.
Continuing with the MA article:
"By the 2370s, Son'a maintained colonies in the outlying areas near Cardassia and the Bajoran wormhole. By this time the Son'a had become infertile as well. The Federation speculated that this might have been the result of biological or genetic engineering. (Star Trek: Insurrection)

According to the novelization of Star Trek: Insurrection, the Son'a were rendered sterile by a failed attempt by Gallatin to artificially replicate the metaphasic radiation around their homeworld. Unable to reproduce, they became a dying race in every sense of the word, increasing their desperation. "

Heh, so yeah, radiation poisoning. Doesn't completely rule out a backup plan that used Dominion cloning tech.
Oooh here's something cool:
"Although the Son'a role in the Dominion War was first mentioned in Star Trek: Insurrection, Weyoun's order to Damar to send ships to assist the Son'a presumably took place after the events in Insurrection, indicating that not all of the Son'a returned to the Ba'ku homeworld." So yeah, it's canon that not all Son'a were involved in the events of Insurrection.
Quote:
As kojirohellfire has righly stated, Cryptic wont do True Way because they represent evil, and Cryptic can't / don't want to do an evil faction. Besides, what you've described psycoticvulcan is Dominion Mk II. not only have we had the whole Dominion theme, but they'd also represent an evil faction, so no go again.
I dunno. If it's a kinder, gentler (within reason) Dominion then they could be portrayed as non-antagonistic towards the powers of the Alpha and Beta Quadrants. Which would let them act as co-belligerents in fighting the Iconians etc... But that would be the REAL Dominion, not True Way imposters. As for a hook to have the Dominion use Alpha Quadrant races.... Maybe after the Dominion War they started making clones of Cardassians and Bajorans?
HAIL HYDRA!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
MMOs aren't charities. Corporations are supposed to make a profit. It's what they do.

Last edited by markhawkman; 10-23-2013 at 09:47 AM.
Republic Veteran
# 37
10-23-2013, 09:50 AM
Quote:
.I dunno. If it's a kinder, gentler (within reason) Dominion then they could be portrayed as non-antagonistic towards the powers of the Alpha and Beta Quadrants. Which would let them act as co-belligerents in fighting the Iconians etc...
I am going with this. People tend to be locked into the DS9 Dominion and say "can't be in the game, they are bad guys" but really the "Bad Guy" label was more for the sake of the series, where they were a antagonist.

Given that Odo, who is more friendly toward the Federation. As well as the 2800 series, which had them cooperate with the Alpha powers. It isn't really a stretch to have a Dominion that is non-antagonistic, and therefore would work as a Playable Faction.

Though I would still like the Cardassians as a seperate faction from the Dominion. Probably have the So'na seperate as well. Since I think the Dominion pretty much retreated from the Alpha Quadrant at the end of the Dominion War (that and admittedly I am not a fan of the So'na).
Career Officer
# 38
10-23-2013, 03:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wazzagiow View Post
it's down to a matter of perspective and in your faction your the good guys and any one else is your bad guys.
To an extend, yeah. It stands to reason that the Federation are the good guys, and Section 31, whilst questionable, has the security and interests of the Federation at heart; they just bend the rules somewhat.

If we then look at the Klingon Empire; they're not bad, or evil. They're doing what they've always done, and that is fight. Klingons love to fight (and drink). It's in their very nature. They don't trust too easily either, and are extremely suspicious. That and they appear to sometimes be naive. Still, they're not an evil faction.

The same goes for D'Tan; he's just trying to rebuild and set up a foundation for his people.

Organisations like the Tal Shiar, True Way and old Dominion are evil though, evil in the sense that they'd control the entire quadrant/galaxy if they could. They're after power, and will go to any means to get it. The Klingons have honour, and rarely fight because they want power over a species/sector etc. The Klingons aren't out for galactic conquest, thus not evil. The Tal Shiar, True Way and Iconian are. That's what makes them evil.

Even Season 8's Voth; they're the bad guys from the current perspective of the playerbase, but they're not actually evil. They're just holding their ground.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireseeed View Post
Only way I could see it happening would be if it was a elite unit set up under Garek, possible the only person with enough clout and trusted by Alpha/Beta quadrant powers to run such a fraction.
1/4?

Honestly, I don't think Garak would have any desire to start up a sub-faction.

Quote:
Maybe after the Dominion War they started making clones of Cardassians and Bajorans?
A little bit too farfetched for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by voyagerfan9751 View Post
Though I would still like the Cardassians as a seperate faction from the Dominion. Probably have the So'na seperate as well. Since I think the Dominion pretty much retreated from the Alpha Quadrant at the end of the Dominion War (that and admittedly I am not a fan of the So'na).
I doubt the Son'a would ever become their own faction. I only mentioned them as allies of the Cardassian cause I wouldn't want a Cardassian faction to be just Cardassian. We need a little more variety. Even the current Republic lacks that.
Captain
# 39
10-23-2013, 04:41 PM
Quote:
See: http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Son%27aMemory Alpha is as good a source as any. It's likely their infertility is the result of radiation poisoning.

was not stated on screen, while the writers might have ment that and a logical reason is gieven. it's semi cannon and not sure. just like the heory of Admiral Hannson being in a Galaxy during Wolf 359.
Ensign
# 40
10-23-2013, 05:04 PM
Quote:
To an extend, yeah. It stands to reason that the Federation are the good guys, and Section 31, whilst questionable, has the security and interests of the Federation at heart; they just bend the rules somewhat.
The changeling virus was bending the rules, it was outright breaking them. An I think it was in one of the novels but could have been DS9, a section 31 agent hinted that they have wiped out other species that they felt were too much of a threat to the Federation to be allowed to exist.

Quote:
If we then look at the Klingon Empire; they're not bad, or evil. They're doing what they've always done, and that is fight. Klingons love to fight (and drink). It's in their very nature. They don't trust too easily either, and are extremely suspicious. That and they appear to sometimes be naive. Still, they're not an evil faction.
They just have an evil emporor that really need to be eleminated, hopefully it will happen before we got to war with the Iconians.

Quote:
Even Season 8's Voth; they're the bad guys from the current perspective of the playerbase, but they're not actually evil. They're just holding their ground.
I hope you right and Cryptic hasn't devolve them into evil dudes.

Quote:
1/4?

Honestly, I don't think Garak would have any desire to start up a sub-faction. A little bit too farfetched for me.
I suspect he the real power behind the Detapa Council anyway and I bet there not much that goes on Cardassia that doesn't require his say so.

Quote:
I doubt the Son'a would ever become their own faction. I only mentioned them as allies of the Cardassian cause I wouldn't want a Cardassian faction to be just Cardassian. We need a little more variety. Even the current Republic lacks that.
I agree I don't think the Son'a are worthy of being made a fraction.

If we were to look into the novels for inspirations for new fractions, for Regnancy of the Carnelian Throne, which is describe as an empire equal in size to the federation in both number of planets and species that is part of it could be made and interesting fraction and it give cryptic writers a clean canvas to work with.

Regnancy would be ideal for cryptic as they could release pay for species, clothes, ships in the C-store.