Captain
# 41
10-23-2013, 08:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by robby0321 View Post
This is a really stupid idea! You would be able to make an uber strong chac by taking the best from all the classes that would kill the point of playing dif toons or the people that have max level chac's of each class. You have no idea how to balance this game since the oringal poster has only been playing since feb.
What's a chac? What does a data integrity field have to do with playing STO? Why would you want to play a tall tree from Australia? And apparently you've only been playing since January, which hardly makes you a professional.

What the OP's suggestion shows, and what some posters in this thread fail to recognize, is the lack of need in STO for anything other than tacscorts.
Captain
# 42
10-23-2013, 08:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny111971 View Post
I'm sure weapons and defensive systems have improved... on both sides. Silly to think that the Borg stopped advancing.
The difference here is that Janeway brought back future-tech - thanks to Admiral Janeway. Starfleet used this tech and the Borg found themselves under-powered, which is why they left this Quadrant and haven't returned until 2409.

Technology in the Alpha/Beta Quadrants has also increased - not from their normal progression point but from the future-tech progression point, as well as unlocking Borg Transwarp and whatnot.

STO isn't your father's Trek tech levels.
STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
Captain
# 43
10-23-2013, 08:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwecangetlost View Post
It doesn't really make sense in the context of having worked your way up to being a captain. Very few people in Starfleet appear to be Jack-of-all trades.
Actually...

I think that there were many instances in ST Canon where diversified education/training were seen to be encouraged. Picard had a background in archeology. Was he a science officer? Kirk was said to be trained as both soldier and diplomat... and had enough geology and chemistry education to stir together some gunpowder for a makeshift cannon.

The class system is archaic and should be eliminated.
Captain
# 44
10-23-2013, 08:20 AM
While it's a good idea, it would need a serious revamp of skills first. Add a lot more, and revamp the one we have, so we don't have the obvious choice a lot of player mentioned before (APA+SNB/FOMM+NI+MW).

Alongside a kit revamp, that allow us to mix various skill in one kit, that could be very interesting. Allowing builds with grenades and mines for example.

However, it would make the game more complicated, as the average player is usually lost when there are no hands holding to tell him what to do. Having a classless game is usually restricted to niche games (fallen earth, eve...).
When you see people unable to have more than 50 weapon power level on a ship, using rainbow build (before S8), and never remodulating in a STF, you can't ask them to choose a skill.

Career Officer
# 45
10-23-2013, 08:22 AM
Quote:
I'm sure weapons and defensive systems have improved... on both sides. Silly to think that the Borg stopped advancing.
Never said they didn't. The difference in the STO storyline is, they're still behind the curve thanks to Admiral Janeway and the events of the Voyager series finale. As I mentioned in my previous reply, it all depends on the writers and what the story required. The STO timeline bears that out.
Career Officer
# 46
10-23-2013, 08:35 AM
What begs the question then... is if they saw that our weaponry and power are still far advanced of theirs... wouldn't they have retreated again already?
-----------------------------------------------------------------------Star Trek Online, Now with out the Trek....
Captain
# 47
10-23-2013, 08:42 AM
Quote:
What begs the question then... is if they saw that our weaponry and power are still far advanced of theirs... wouldn't they have retreated again already?
The problem is that while we've been doing this 4 years in-game, the timeline has only advanced a few months. From the time they attack Vega to the time we go after the Borg Queen very little in-game time has passed. We're still in 2409.
STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
Captain
# 48
10-23-2013, 08:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by roxbad View Post
Actually...

I think that there were many instances in ST Canon where diversified education/training were seen to be encouraged. Picard had a background in archeology. Was he a science officer? Kirk was said to be trained as both soldier and diplomat... and had enough geology and chemistry education to stir together some gunpowder for a makeshift cannon.

The class system is archaic and should be eliminated.
Agreed...just because it isn't specifically mentioned in TV shows and movies doesnt mean it didnt happen. You dont start out as an Ensign in Starfleet working a science console only to move up in rank but not sideways into other departments eventually making your way to command of your own ship where you know nothing about engineering, security, tactical or any of the other things that arent related to science. As the person in command they do have people to lean on for advice, suggestions or actual technical expertise but ultimately you are the one that has to make the decision and you cant do that if you dont know anything.

I mean just imagine how Capt Janeway would have handled this?

Kim: Captain we are detecting Tachyon particles 10k away
Janeway: very well, perform a sensor sweep
Tuvok: Captain recommend we scan for wormhole anomalies as well
Janeway: make it so, Mr Paris turn the ship...that way and...make her go kinda fast
Janeway: the what is offline?
Chakotay: Captain security says that we are being boarded by hostile Borg and Kazon
Janeway: wait...what?
Neelix: Captain, my pantry is out of eggs and the replicator system is offline
Janeway: Neelix i dont understand what you just said
Neelix: and we are out of coffee...
Janeway: nuuuuuuuuu!!!!!
Republic Veteran
# 49
10-23-2013, 08:56 AM
Quote:
I do not see the circular reasoning that you are trying to point out.
Career Officer
# 50
10-23-2013, 09:06 AM
I like the OP's suggestion. I'm huge fan of flexibility in character set-up.