Career Officer
# 1941
10-25-2013, 05:01 AM
This AFK'ing is indeed getting annoying. Just came from an STF where the AFK person was actually being annoying ("What is AFKer?" , "Report who?") and needing all blue and purple loot.

All I do at the current time is report these players and hope that the GMs temporarily suspend their account. If this would indeed be the case, then any suspension they receive later on should be increased in time!

Also, I am much in favor of a majority (3 out of 5) vote of removing these unwanted players. Or as an alternative add an option to 'report player AFK' so a GM can decide on what to do (assuming they follow this up with a temporary account suspension).
Captain
# 1942
10-25-2013, 06:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by fweepsie View Post
This AFK'ing is indeed getting annoying. Just came from an STF where the AFK person was actually being annoying ("What is AFKer?" , "Report who?") and needing all blue and purple loot.

All I do at the current time is report these players and hope that the GMs temporarily suspend their account. If this would indeed be the case, then any suspension they receive later on should be increased in time!

Also, I am much in favor of a majority (3 out of 5) vote of removing these unwanted players. Or as an alternative add an option to 'report player AFK' so a GM can decide on what to do (assuming they follow this up with a temporary account suspension).
It's not nearly as big a problem as people make out. I can't remember ever having an afker in a stf and I've been playing nearly a year and a half now. It's a non-issue.

And anyway, vote to kick is too open to abuse.
Captain
# 1943
10-25-2013, 07:43 AM
And I can counter by telling you about somebody who is a repeat offender. I told the whole team to report him as a leecher and did so.

We should be allowed to kite tactical cubes onto leechers.
Vadm. Kanril Eleya, U.S.S. Andraste, Strike Team Alpha

Useful Links for Foundry Writers | "Bait and Switch" -- Fed Foundry project, Part 1 rewards-qualified!
Say no to Arc! STO standalone installer
Lt. Commander
# 1944
10-25-2013, 08:11 AM
one argument seems to be, how do we know someone didn't just disconnect, if someone disconnects their characters going to log off, the deliberate afker is like if your doing the colony invasion mission for fleet marks and from the starting spawn to the main area someone just stands there at the starting spawn, only leaving the mission when it's completed. That's the people that should be banned from the game. Unfortunately theres really no rule against it and the players are expected to just deal with it.

As far as that one statement that my previous comment was unfair I should remind you that this like a lot of other problems in the game are dumped to the side and forgotten because the only thing PWE and Cryptic care about is whatever is going to make them money and fixing game problems don't make them money, if it can't be put in the c shop or stuffed in a lock box they don't care.
Captain
# 1945
10-25-2013, 09:40 AM
Except for the fact that Cryptic has flat out stated (via their actions) that AFK is indeed against the rules. The whole AFK ban system screams that fact.

Just saying.
Vice Admiral Rylana - U.S.S. DNT Omega X || Vice Admiral Lyzara - I.R.W. DNT Omicron X
Vice Admiral Kailiana - R.R.W. DNT Theta X || Vice Admiral Talina - I.R.W. DNT Tau X
Vice Admiral Victoria - U.S.S. DNT Upsilon X || Lt. General Dannika - I.K.S. DNT Sigma X
Vice Admiral Shondra - R.R.W. DNT Alpha X || Lt. General Rosanna - I.K.S. DNT Iota X
=== Vice Squad/House of Tlhap-Jen ===
Rihannsu
# 1946
10-25-2013, 11:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by vermatrix View Post
one argument seems to be, how do we know someone didn't just disconnect, if someone disconnects their characters going to log off, the deliberate afker is like if your doing the colony invasion mission for fleet marks and from the starting spawn to the main area someone just stands there at the starting spawn, only leaving the mission when it's completed. That's the people that should be banned from the game. Unfortunately theres really no rule against it and the players are expected to just deal with it.

As far as that one statement that my previous comment was unfair I should remind you that this like a lot of other problems in the game are dumped to the side and forgotten because the only thing PWE and Cryptic care about is whatever is going to make them money and fixing game problems don't make them money, if it can't be put in the c shop or stuffed in a lock box they don't care.
I'll give you an example from Mine Trap. I had a guy run into a corner so that he was AWAY from all of the objectives, THEN erect a cover shield so that the enemies couldn't attack him, from which position he rolled need on all loot.

Seriously, it's easy to tell if someone is not doing things due to connection issues, or not doing things because they're lazy. People with connection issues don't roll need incessantly.
HAIL HYDRA!
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
MMOs aren't charities. Corporations are supposed to make a profit. It's what they do.
Show Archon and Borticus how much you would like to see new Doff races!
Career Officer
# 1947
10-25-2013, 12:33 PM
You know, I haven't run into a single AFKer and I STF everyday.

Course, I play with my fleet mostly. No AFKers in my fleet.

What I have run into far more often than AFKers is people swearing in chat because someone doesn't follow their orders, or some other nonsense. There are a lot of PVE heros out there, who feel the need to take charge of missions.

I was in one STF where someone was swearing because me and my Fleetmates blew up one of the cubes in "The Cure"......on normal, (where it doesn't make a difference). We manged to make the optional despite this person ******** all the way through, because no one listened to his orders.

Another time, I was in an STF where someone actually pm'd me afterward, complaining because I didn't do "enough damage".......in my controller sci build, in a normal STF, that we also made the optional in.....

I see this behavior FAR more than AFKers, maybe I'm just lucky....or unlucky?

These are the sort of ding-a-lings that would call for a vote kick, wasting everyone's time. At present, without it, they feel so overwhelmed that they must act in the only way they can ATM, ***** and swear in chat and PM insults. REGARDLESS if the mission was a success.

Cryptic is looking into AFKers, they are working on a solution that at present doesn't involve a vote kick, maybe they see the bigger picture, like all those PVE heros who don't play nice with others. Who's to say.

But they are working on a way of getting them banned.

One question I have is, are all these AFKers with fleets?

I ask because what I HAVE noticed is people leaving FLEET ALERT missions before the boss spawns to avoid the mission cool down.
Too bad I can't choose to never be teamed with THOSE pin heads, EVER again.
STO was my secret fun little addiction. I'd spend A LOT of free time and disposable income on it. Have you noticed the change recently? You've got my data, see for yourself. I'll even take a few minutes of my time to explain. All you have to do is ask Cryptic.
Lt. Commander
# 1948
10-25-2013, 03:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rylanadionysis View Post
Except for the fact that Cryptic has flat out stated (via their actions) that AFK is indeed against the rules. The whole AFK ban system screams that fact.

Just saying.
I think they should just go ahead and make it a written rule. Right now it's more of a unofficial unspoken request that people don't so that so it's not taken seriously. It's their game so if they want to make it a punishable rule that, that sort of thing won't be tolerated than the ones doing it might be less incline to do it knowing they could get punished for it, and if a person does it multiple times they should be banned from the game for it. If anything they could get a warning the first time they do it, a couple of days to a month ban the second time they are reported, a permanent ban for the 3rd time, something like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by markhawkman View Post
I'll give you an example from Mine Trap. I had a guy run into a corner so that he was AWAY from all of the objectives, THEN erect a cover shield so that the enemies couldn't attack him, from which position he rolled need on all loot.

Seriously, it's easy to tell if someone is not doing things due to connection issues, or not doing things because they're lazy. People with connection issues don't roll need incessantly.
That's what I was referring to, people that do that or people that just park someplace and collect marks for doing nothing. The whole argument about connection issues is just their way of trying to defend it but the problem there is I myself have had connection issues before and I get disconnected at spawn before it starts, not after clicking need or collecting marks or anything so I don't see how their connection is good until they get what they want then it fails.
Commander
# 1949
10-26-2013, 04:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tobar26th View Post
So, it's a long despised issue, and I dare say most Endgame players have seen it at some point or other - so let's talk about solutions!

The Problem
Various events - Fleet Activities, PVP Matches, STFs reward players for taking part in them. This reward is given out regardless of player participation so a player can queue up, sit at the Transwarp gate in PVP three times a day and get 1440 Dilithium.

Similarly in STFs, the player can come in, sit at spawn and do nothing, and as long as the match completes, get their two EDCs and 1100 dilithium.

Personal Rant: Played a Khitomer Accord Space Elite today with a PUG group (yes yes I know, don't PUG...but humour me) where I had two 'genius' level players. The first of which sat on spawn for the first five minutes, and when, out of pure spite, I pulled a Cube onto him RAN AWAY to the other side of the match and AFK'd there instead...and the second who came in and after a few minutes said 'what do I have to do?' and when asked if he'd done the normals said 'I didn't see the need, lesser rewards'.....geez!

Anyway off the rant, let's find a solution - now as I see it we have too main issues here - PVP AFKing where there's a winner, and PVE where it's cooperative.

So take a moment, propose your own solution - one for the competitive PVP, and one for the PVE where it's cooperative...

Competitive PVP
I like a particular idea here, and it's something that tech wise should be relatively simple, introduce a new wrapper mission in addition to the current 'play 3' mission. A second wrapper 'Win 3 PVP Matches'.

This way players who are pretty casual can come in, play three matches have some fun and not worry about winning, get their 1440 and go home.

However it should motivate most players to try and win their matches so they can grab the extra 1440 - and if they only win one that day? That's fine, it can roll onto the next day, or they can play another match, and another...think how the Klingon 'Ship hunter' wrappers work I guess.

Cooperative PVE
This I find a bit harder, the optional objective is clearly designed to encourage players to take part - but as we've discovered in our fleet? The optional loot is generally pretty poor, to the stage where we all shrug if we don't get it and move on with no qualms.

I've got a few thoughts here - first of all introduce a small dilithium reward on the optional that ALL players get, 440 or whatever the 'small' dilithium containers contain. That said, I don't like this - it feels wrong. I think there needs to be some sort of scoring in STFs, perhaps invisible, but enough as to split the missions into 'parts' such as they already are, each player must 'score' a certain number of points in each part - nothing major, take down a couple of drones, resurrect a single player, heal X health points, don't take part in all parts? Don't earn at the end. Again messy - but an idea.

So STO community, let's see what you think - how do we deal with these guys without just hiding in private queues?
The fix is relatively easy, make the game recognize when someone is afking and have enemy units appear at a respawn point away from the normal ones and start chasing the person around. That way, they have to work at it just to stay alive wheither they want to or not....
Career Officer
# 1950 Free Loaders have to go.
11-26-2013, 09:55 PM
I have said it before and I will say it again, WE NEED THE VOTE KICK SYSTEM !!!
I have no problem with grinding for fleet marks or anything else in the game but what I do have a problem with is the free loaders that do nothing or now the minimum required to note get banned.

Most other MMO'S have the vote kick and so should STO. Why should the rest of the team be forced to either leave and get a penalty or stay and drag the free loader threw it.
Closed Thread