Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > Romulan Gameplay
Login

Republic Veteran
# 41
10-22-2013, 08:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by autumnturning View Post
<snerk>

More "creative imagineering" that doesn't withstand scrutiny when it comes time to Show Your Work.

In this case, although that is True it is not Relevant since the Set would be offered through the Romulan Reputation System, which is available to ALL Captains in All Factions, regardless of Race. So, unfortunately, the Fact that Romulans ... (*cough*) ... "can't get Lucky" ... (*cough*) ... is "interesting" but ultimately unimportant.
I was not accusing MajorTiraOmega of anything. I am sure it was a simple oversight.

"When you look for the bad, expecting it, you will get it. When you know you will find the good, you will get that." ― Eleanor H. Porter, Pollyanna

Quote:
Then what would be? One of my first thoughts was to make the Ambush Cloak on the Personal Shield proc when Critically Hit by incoming damage, rather than making it proc on Critical Hits on outgoing damage. Would that be any better though?
I personally dislike chance procs, and would prefer a balanced activated ability that rewards skill over luck.

Quote:
The Ambush Cloak level of Stealth is really only "meaningful" when attacking from Range, and even then it's a brief and transitory thing. But when you've got an entire "almost a" Faction that is renowned for two things ... Cloaking technology and Plasma weaponry ... failing to include those things in a Set designed for that Faction would just be Game Design malpractice ... wouldn't you agree?
Here you ask if I agree, and next you seem to say you don't care if we agree or not. But I do agree in principle, maybe not the wording of malpractice though, lol.

Quote:
As mentioned earlier to someone else, I'd be honestly surprised if "everyone" liked the idea.
Lt. Commander
# 42
10-22-2013, 08:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by buccaneerdtb View Post
I personally dislike chance procs, and would prefer a balanced activated ability that rewards skill over luck.
Adapted Honor Guard Shield special
When receiving All Damage, 5% chance of applying Spectrum Overload
Melee-range Stun effect, centered on you and your teammates.

Adapted M.A.C.O. Shield special
When receiving All Damage, 5% chance of applying Unified Retaliation
Applies of 5 second buff to you and your teammates that will reflect the next incoming energy damage back at its source.

Klingon Honor Guard Shield mod
Chance to damage the attacker when you take damage. The stronger the attack, the more powerful the retaliation.

M.A.C.O. Shield special
When receiving All Damage, 5% chance of applying Spectrum Overload
Melee-range Stun effect, centered on you and your teammates.

Omega Force Shield special
When receiving All Damage, 5% chance of applying Energy Redirection
Applies a 5 second buff to you and your teammates that will Expose the next enemy that fires at you.

The precedent(s) set by all of the other Anti-Borg Ground Sets is pretty unanimous with regards to what the special modifier ought to be ... and that is a chance to proc some effect. Only the Klingon Honor Guard "stoops" to using an existing modifier available on any other more "ordinary" Personal Shield, which is the [Rev] mod (which itself is a random proc chance already). And while I agree with you that it would be more desirable to have a "click" ability rather than a random "reflex" proc happen when taking damage, and for precisely the reason you cite (player skill vs random chance) ... that's not the precedent that has been set by the Devs up to this point, nor would I feel comfortable with "renouncing" that precedent outright when building a Romulan Anti-Borg Ground Set.

Hopefully that is clarifying.
Republic Veteran
# 43
10-22-2013, 09:25 AM
Yeah. Also why I play other games more and more.
Lt. Commander
# 44
10-27-2013, 10:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hereticknight085 View Post
Hm... well my only input on this would be if there was a Romulan ground set, I'd want there to be a Reman variant. Reman coloration, and more focus on stealth and damage output with a large sacrifice in durability. Or something like that.
Let me throw a curveball at this particular problem and suggest that if there were to be a "Reman Set" that it shouldn't be a direct counterpart to the Romulan Set. Complimentary to ... sure. But doing the same thing while being "different" somehow? Not so sure that's even possible given the constraints on Ground Itemization compared to Space. There's 35 Space Skills (10 Tactical, 15 Engineering, 10 Science) ... but only 10 Ground Skills (6 by profession, 4 held in common). Not a whole lot of room for variation there, on the Ground. Furthermore, you've simply got more Item Slots for Space than you do for Ground ... so it's a lot easier to do an "almost the same, but not quite" with a Space Set than it is to do that with a Ground Set.

So what if a Reman Set WASN'T a direct copy/counterpart to a Romulan Set for Ground? What if, instead, a Reman Set was aimed at an entirely different group of Level 50 content adversaries?

At this point, it ought to be obvious that I'm talking about the idea of making a Romulan Anti-Borg Ground Set ... and making a Reman Anti-Tholian Ground Set.

No seriously ... think about it. Remans are the "mining race" of STO (the "space dwarves" if you need to reference Fantasy themes). Mining is something that is an inherently UNSAFE occupation to pursue, and is frequently a profession that requires work in (drum roll please) ... hazardous or toxic environments. That means that the most "logical" thematics to base a Reman Ground Set around would be some kind of souped up Mining Gear, and in STO that kind of thing means ... Environment Suit! And then once you reach the point of deciding to settle onto an Environment Suit and everything THAT implies, you quickly come to the conclusion that the "natural enemy" you'd want to be going up against while wearing that is ... Tholians.

The next question after deciding to orient a Reman Set around being Anti-Tholian is working up some kind of hybrid of the Plasma Flamethrower and the Nukara Cryo Launcher to create a "new" sort of Anti-Tholian weapon which still has a distinctly "Reman" flavor to it that has [Sonic] properties built into it. For Personal Shields, you'd be wanting to have a look at the precedents laid down by the Nukara Sets for inspiration.

Considering the fact that the Tholians are present and continuing danger on Mol'Rihan, including inside the Underground Power Station mission, I'm thinking that this sort of thing would make for the most likely kind of development for the Remans to undertake and perfect.