Lt. Commander
You read that right, folks!

I'm working right now on a tool to condense and reformat a mission export file into a sort of screenplay file that you can then bring into a tool like Microsoft Word to do spelling and grammar checking on. It should even be able to help you find out if you have any pesky unnamed NPCs or ships.

I just started on it and the work is going really well. I'm testing it using stoutes "Collectiveness Strikes Gold I", "Collectiveness Strikes Gold II" and my own "The Sins of the Fathers".

UPDATE 6-NOV-2013 - BETA 1: This tool is now in a sort of beta state. I'm not distributing the tool yet, but anyone wanting to help find bugs in the tool and provide feedback is welcome to participate. Just send me a PM and I'll provide you with an email address where you can send your mission export file. I'll run your mission through the engine, deal with any problems that crop up and send you your formatted mission file output.

To generate a mission export:

1. Bring your mission up in the Foundry editor.

2. Run your mission or any map from it from the Foundry editor.

3. In the chat window, type "/ugcEditorExportProject yourMissionName.txt". You will see a blank line appear in the chat window.

You can then find your mission export file in your <STO install directory>\Live\Data folder.

On my system, it was in: C:\Program Files (x86)\Perfect World Entertainment\Star Trek Online_en\Star Trek Online\Live\Data

Steam users will likely find it in: C:\Program Files (x86)Steam\SteamApps\common\Star Trek Online\Star Trek Online\Live\Data or something similar.

Last edited by donperk; 11-06-2013 at 10:40 AM. Reason: Added news!
Survivor of Romulus
# 2
10-30-2013, 04:46 PM
I am really curious how it will work out !
^^ I am Stoutes, and I approve of my message ^^
Starfleet Veteran
# 3
10-30-2013, 05:35 PM
oh dear god yes!
Career Officer
# 4
10-30-2013, 07:27 PM
Awesome! Thank you very much!

How do you export missions anyway? I've never seen that feature in the Foundry editor. Is that a command-line ability or something?
Starfleet Veteran
# 5
10-30-2013, 07:39 PM
This sounds excellent. I can't wait to see it.

@greendragoon
Lt. Commander
# 6
10-30-2013, 07:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by paxfederatica View Post
Awesome! Thank you very much!

How do you export missions anyway? I've never seen that feature in the Foundry editor. Is that a command-line ability or something?
It's pretty simple. From the foundry, run your mission and then type the following in the chat window:

/ugcEditorExportProject someprojectname.txt

You'll get an output file in your <STO install directory>\Playtest\Data folder.

I found out about it here: http://starbaseugc.com/index.php/tra...ission-export/

The result is a dump of all the objects in your mission. The reports I've seen run about 1,000 - 3,000 pages.

There doesn't appear to be a way to import the file back, but at least you get this.

I'm actually pretty close to having the formatting engine for Version 1.0 done already. It's bare-bones. It looks for what it wants in the export file and formats it into a plain text file -- but it's just what you need for proofing and is much easier to read.

I'm hoping to have the engine done tonight and will slap a simple UI on it later this week.

If there's a lot of interest, I'm planning a 2.0 version that will read in the file as a series of objects. That will give me the ability to display the results in Rich Text format (hopefully with spell-check highlighting) and be able to save the report in plain text, Rich Text, HTML, Word docx, Excel xlsx and PDF formats. That will be a lot more work, but will likely be worth the extra effort.
Career Officer
# 7
10-30-2013, 08:45 PM
Su-WEEEEE-t! Thank you again!
Captain
# 8
10-30-2013, 08:58 PM
So essentially anyone can have a copy of all the perameters for your foundry mission in text form? Very interesting.
Play more STO Foundry! (You can thank me later.)

A TIME TO SEARCH: ENTER MY FOUNDRY MISSION at the RISA SYSTEM in the SIRIUS SECTOR
Lt. Commander
# 9
10-30-2013, 10:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lincolninspace View Post
So essentially anyone can have a copy of all the perameters for your foundry mission in text form? Very interesting.
I haven't tried it in-game on someone else's map yet. I may try to confirm that right now. It will sure make editorial reviewing of other people's missions a bit easier if that's the case.

EDIT: I have confirmed that you CANNOT export missions outside of the Foundry editor. This is probably true for any chat command starting with "ugcEditor".

So the only way to get someone else's parameters is to have them export them and give them to you. This is how I got stoutes in-progress mission dumps for testing and review.

By the way, the location of the mission dump files on my computer is: C:\Program Files (x86)\Perfect World Entertainment\Star Trek Online_en\Star Trek Online\Live\Data

Your file location may be somewhat different, but should match the part starting with "\Star Trek Online_en\..."

Last edited by donperk; 10-30-2013 at 10:28 PM.
Career Officer
# 10
10-31-2013, 12:12 AM
Oh my, quite clever. Kudos!

It's wishful thinking, but be nice if that feature could be a normal function with the Foundry.