Lt. Commander
I wanted to say thank, thank, THANK YOU!

This was completely unexpected and so satisfying to hear!

Now the masses of Mac users no longer need to emulate with sub-standard performance (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/sh...d.php?t=381881) or install Bootcamp/Windows for the sole purpose of running STO.

A million times thank you to PWE/Cryptic for this!
Former PWE Community Team Lead
# 2
11-01-2013, 02:28 PM
It's all our pleasure, and we're so excited too!

For those who missed it on my Livestream -- Official STO Mac Beta starts on Season 8 launch day, 11/12!

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
Brandon "BranFlakes" Felczer | Former Community Team Lead for Perfect World Entertainment
Career Officer
# 3
11-01-2013, 02:30 PM
Great news for the Mac users out there!
Ensign
# 4
11-01-2013, 02:32 PM
And I *just* spent two nights ago rebuilding the wine wrapper and engine for STO to run on a new laptop.

Well, glad to see it's official.
Career Officer
# 5
11-01-2013, 02:34 PM
I hope this news means that an Official Linux Client is coming as well.

The opinions expressed in my posts are not necessarily those of my employer or Subspace Radio.
PS: My show is actually at 0200 GMT these days. I really need to dig up the PSD for that signature and redo it.
Rihannsu
# 6
11-01-2013, 02:41 PM
Woo hoo! Awesome! Although I do appreciate the people who supported the Wine version for so long!
Captain
# 7
11-01-2013, 02:44 PM
Does this mean Arc for Mac as well? If PC users are going to be required to use it...
Former PWE Community Team Lead
# 8
11-01-2013, 02:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by elessym View Post
Does this mean Arc for Mac as well? If PC users are going to be required to use it...
Our current Arc development plan is focused on the Windows platform.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
Brandon "BranFlakes" Felczer | Former Community Team Lead for Perfect World Entertainment
Career Officer
# 9
11-01-2013, 03:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by elessym View Post
I keep seeing this said but it's not a requirement here or in NW. They just make it the default way of downloading a new client, which isn't the ONLY way to get a client. Just the most obvious one.

And Cryptic was doing that under Atari too, working with partner companies who bundled their software with the game client.

If you install off a disc or the right third party site, I don't think there's anything that's indicating that you'll NEED ARC.

And even then if it were required, why panic about ARC? It's a small extra bit of hard disk space. Is PWE less trustworthy than Steam? Why would you think that? If you don't trust PWE with your credit card and analytics data, I'd think you'd be best off not playing STO even without ARC.
Career Officer
# 10
11-01-2013, 03:04 PM
Also... I'll give you one reason why I'd doubt they'd go ARC mandatory. They JUST worked out a deal with Steam in the last year or so and I can't see launching ARC from Steam.

I could absolutely see them requiring ARC for new installations of the game downloaded from PWE but that's not the same as it being mandatory for all users since you could always get a disc or use another frontend like Amazon or Steam.
Closed Thread