Lieutenant
# 21
11-01-2013, 06:11 AM
Before the costume import, I used screenshots with transparency, always on top and 50% alpha blend.

With this semi transparent overlay, I could quickly adjust all the sliders exactly as they were on the original image. No alt-tabbing or stuff.

Last edited by pendra8080; 11-01-2013 at 08:10 AM.
Lt. Commander
# 22
11-01-2013, 06:44 PM
I've added an HTML formatter to the engine. I need to add a stylesheet, but the output is looking good. I sent stoutes an HTML copy of his "Collectiveness Strikes Gold I" mission about a half-hour ago.

The overall formatting in both plaintext and HTML are already a vast improvement for doing editorial review of mission scripts. The dialog trees read a bit more like a script now, yet still provide information on costumes, attitude, titles and button links.

The only open items for declaring the engine finished at this point are:
  • an object-by-object comparison of input and output using the three mission outputs I currently have;
  • a good CSS style sheet for presenting the HTML.

I still haven't decided how to package it (open source windows UI, Silverlight app, command-line app, dedicated web-site that emails the output or delivers it on-screen) but I should have something out for public review soon -- possibly even this weekend.
Captain
# 23
11-01-2013, 07:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pendra8080 View Post
Before the costume import, I used screenshots with transparency, always on top and 50% alpha blend.

With this semi transparent overlay, I could quickly adjust all the sliders exactly as they were on the original image. No alt-tabbing or stuff.
How did you set that up?
Vadm. Kanril Eleya, U.S.S. Andraste, Strike Team Alpha

Useful Links for Foundry Writers | "Bait and Switch" -- Fed Foundry project, Part 1 rewards-qualified!
Say no to Arc! STO standalone installer
Lieutenant
# 24
11-02-2013, 07:19 AM
I made a little tool for that. Load up the screenshot you made, the app added transparency to the slider rules, leaving the sliders themselves visible. After that, you had to align the movable sliders with respective non movable ones on screen. And finally, you ended up with the exact same face/body proportions. I could recreate a costume in less than 3 mins with that from scratch.

The import button made it obsolete, but alas, it is useful again.

Last edited by pendra8080; 11-02-2013 at 09:54 AM.
Captain
# 25
11-02-2013, 07:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by donperk View Post
You read that right, folks!

I'm working right now on a tool to condense and reformat a mission export file into a sort of screenplay file that you can then bring into a tool like Microsoft Word to do spelling and grammar checking on. It should even be able to help you find out if you have any pesky unnamed NPCs or ships.
rofl...

Steps on how to write foundry missions:
(1) Write your dialogue in MS Word.
(2) Copy & Paste: MS Word content into Foundry.
(4) Done.

Steps on how to write foundry missions:
(If you are worried about character codding,..)
(1) Write your dialogue in MS Word.
(2) Copy & Paste: MS Word content into Notepad.
(2) Copy & Paste: Notepad content into Foundry.
(4) Done.

You do not need to make another program.

If you write your original dialogue out in MS Word, you do not have to worry about going backwards. Once you made changes to the original dialogue, you can copy and paste them directly into the Foundry.

Everyone is building Foundry missions backwards. rofl...

Last edited by linyive; 11-02-2013 at 07:56 AM.
Captain
# 26
11-02-2013, 08:12 AM
Space wizardry of this boggles my mind!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt. Comm. Pion
What should I wish upon the endless universe;
To be able to smile and forgive everything;
That's right, if we light up the dream in our hearts without averting our eyes;
We should be able to walk whatever tomorrow comes...

I am V. Adm. Kha Yuung, and I approve of this message.
Captain
# 27
11-02-2013, 08:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by khayuung View Post
Space wizardry of this boggles my mind!
rofl...

"Unsolved mysteries of 'Unsolved Mysteries'" ~ Homer Simpson
Lieutenant
# 28
11-02-2013, 08:31 AM
Writing the dialogs in word have drawbacks. The more elaborate branching you do, the harder it is to follow what goes where. Also, you need to see the text in game before amending it. Mainly length and density are the important factors there. When I see that a dialog box is too text heavy I start to mod it until I'm happy. This may involve adding another dialog box, removing, rewriting some text, altering the story a bit etc. You can't see this in word.

Also the story is never complete in Foundry. You alter and alter and alter the dialogs based on feedback. Again, no way to do that in word.
Captain
# 29
11-02-2013, 08:50 AM
Quote:
Writing the dialogs in word have drawbacks. The more elaborate branching you do, the harder it is to follow what goes where. Also, you need to see the text in game before amending it. Mainly length and density are the important factors there. When I see that a dialog box is too text heavy I start to mod it until I'm happy. This may involve adding another dialog box, removing, rewriting some text, altering the story a bit etc. You can't see this in word.
Do you know anything about organizing information using a typographical hierarchy? Color, size, style, etc...

Quote:
Also the story is never complete in Foundry. You alter and alter and alter the dialogs based on feedback. Again, no way to do that in word.
*facepalm*
Lieutenant
# 30
11-02-2013, 09:40 AM
Yeah, altering story elements based on player feedback is unimaginable for people who create perfection on the first pass.
I tried to check your missions to see how your method fares in practice. I couldn't.

Well, here is one to you. Please show us a word for this dialog tree:
Dialog starts. Player has the option to do a code break "puzzle". He has to input a 3 digits number between 000 and 999. He can also skip the puzzle anytime. If he fails, he loops back to the start of the puzzle section (not the start of the dialog). He can try to input the number as many times as he wants. He can also skip it anytime. Skipping or completing results different dialog continuation.

Also skipping or completing results different story dialogs much later in the story.

Last edited by pendra8080; 11-02-2013 at 09:43 AM.