Captain
I was specifically thinking about the KDF(and their lack of ships) when I decided to post this, so I think it goes here.

I'm proposing to the STO devs a new system where segregated species ships get bonuses. (well, different bonuses than united species ships)

-Add one 'free selection' ship per tier for each faction's sub-species(in this case, Orion, Nausicaan, Ferasan, Lethean, and Gorn for KDF)
-Use zen store ships as their premium skins (such as using the Dacoit Flight-Deck Cruiser as the premium skin for the Orion's Commander-level Brigand Cruiser)
-Add stat bonuses for each BOFF that matches the ship's and/or captain's species
-Add more species-specific costume options
-Add species-specific ship interiors including unified-species crew options
-Add species-specific captain skills that boost same-species away team abilities
-Any 'alien' species that joins their crew gains costume options for that specific group (such as those huge sharp Nausicaan bladed armor parts for Nausicaan aliens)
-Don't forget Klingons/Humans/Romulans
-And to balance it with united species ships/away teams, add skills that get stronger when synchronized with skills of other species

I'm wagering that it's the lack of gameplay that is specific to sub-species that is the reason you're not selling as many species-specific ships as you could be, Cryptic. Implement this system and I'm sure you'll get far more sales.

My older suggestion threads (dead threads; do not post in them!)
Orangie's Suggestions - Fleet Holding
Orangie's Suggestions - Zen Store Gifts
Orangie's Suggestions - Non-Combat Gameplay
Orangie's Suggestions - Celestial & Envoy Saucer Separation
Orangie's Suggestions - Cardassian Faction
Orangie's Suggestions - Klingon Blood Color
Orangie's Suggestions - Mission Pod Slot

Helpful Tools: Dictionary.com - Logical fallacies - Random generator - Word generator - Color tool - Extra Credits - List of common English language errors - Big booty tutorial - Also, follow me on Twitter!

Last edited by orangeitis; 02-14-2014 at 03:11 AM.
Lieutenant
# 2
11-04-2013, 11:37 AM
One of the things that I have found while leveling some KDF this weekend was that all the dialog and plot of the story line missions assumes you are Klingon. I do not think an Orion or whatever would give a rip about the whole honor thing, use Klingon epithets (especially Qapla') or act in a Klingon way at all. I deleted an Orion I got to 40 because of it.

Honestly, if they adjusted the dialog depending on the race of the char, in line with their various racial motivations and circumstances for why they are in Empire, that would go a long way.

One quick art option would be to design some alternate bridges/hallway designs that could be used for the racial ships. I do not think an Orion would have a dim, red lit bridge with targs running around on their Marauder.
Career Officer
# 3
11-04-2013, 12:05 PM
I honestly cannot understand why they would just not add certain things to be bought. For example, costumes that are specific to a race. How many times have people come here and ask for these things? We see NPCs wearing them and I believe, like myself, people would buy them if they were put on the C-Store. Is that really that hard to do?
Community Moderator
# 4
11-04-2013, 12:13 PM
I've always wanted to see a good distinction between the KDF races, to emphasize that it's not all one uniform culture.

I'd really like to see not only the visual distinctions, but to be given more background for each race. If you're leveling a Gorn, for example, you really should get a mission that's relevant to a Gorn and not just a Klingon. There's even less excuse for folding in Orions like that, since we know so much more about their culture.

But it's too late for Gorn and Orions to get the "Romulan" treatment. They are never going to feel like independent factions with a complete set of dedicated missions, full line of ships, etc.
Volunteer Community Moderator for the Star Trek Online forums -- My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment. If you wish to speak to someone on the community team, file a "forums and website" support ticket here, as we are not able to respond to PMs regarding moderation inquiries.
Link: How to PM - Twitter @STOMod_Bluegeek
Lieutenant
# 5
11-04-2013, 01:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegeek View Post
But it's too late for Gorn and Orions to get the "Romulan" treatment. They are never going to feel like independent factions with a complete set of dedicated missions, full line of ships, etc.
Why I agree to a good extent, they have done a pretty good job with the back story/path to 2409 to show why the Orions and Gorn are in the KDF, enough in my mind to eliminate the need for racial specific missions. The ships is not really an issue; from the dearth of canon examples, they could pump out as many different race ships as they want, as long as someone would buy them (definitely would not get them for free).

I have less trouble with the dialog when its a Gorn as the character, maybe its from the Klingons conquering them or seeing S'taas running around sounding like a Klingon all the time. But it's fairly obvious that the whole Orion deal is something of convenience to the Orions, no matter what J'mpok thinks. Nausicaans and Letheans are more of a fit (if the whole honor/tradition/ceremony/ angle thing was taken out). Ferasan are Kzinti; no idea why they would be in the KDF, and I do not think back story makes it clear why they are there.

Hmm..maybe I will buy the Ferasan race, I suspect the Obelisk is closest I will come to a Kzinti carrier from SFB
Captain
# 6
11-04-2013, 02:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegeek View Post
I've always wanted to see a good distinction between the KDF races, to emphasize that it's not all one uniform culture.

I'd really like to see not only the visual distinctions, but to be given more background for each race. If you're leveling a Gorn, for example, you really should get a mission that's relevant to a Gorn and not just a Klingon. There's even less excuse for folding in Orions like that, since we know so much more about their culture.

Yeah, Cryptic basically approached the KDF as if it were an armored version of the Federation, when the Klingon Empire has NEVER been like that. If aliens served on ships, they did so as menial labor. Klingons have always filled in the need for manpower.

Having all manner of species wandering around on KDF installations/planets is just immersion-breaking for anyone who gets stuck on that detail.

At the very least, it would have been nice to have different dialogue for every sub-species, to emphasize the fact that there are supposed to be differences in culture and outlook. But that would require Cryptic actually caring about the KDF's development and actually devoting significant resources to flesh out the faction entirely. Much better to just slap on the missing levels, re-do the tutorial, and declare it 100% finished.
tIqIpqu' 'ej nom tIqIp
Ensign
# 7
11-04-2013, 03:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by timezarg View Post
Yeah, Cryptic basically approached the KDF as if it were an armored version of the Federation, when the Klingon Empire has NEVER been like that. If aliens served on ships, they did so as menial labor. Klingons have always filled in the need for manpower.

Having all manner of species wandering around on KDF installations/planets is just immersion-breaking for anyone who gets stuck on that detail.

At the very least, it would have been nice to have different dialogue for every sub-species, to emphasize the fact that there are supposed to be differences in culture and outlook. But that would require Cryptic actually caring about the KDF's development and actually devoting significant resources to flesh out the faction entirely. Much better to just slap on the missing levels, re-do the tutorial, and declare it 100% finished.
I agree, we aren't a armored version of the Federation, we don't use sick and unethical things like diplomacy, subterfuge, and the subverting of all cultures that they coexist with we don't use such foul means of treachery, nor do we just say the phrase "prime directive" as a excuse not to intervene on a morally wrong issue.

They will leave their own citizens to die to a foreign power* and rather then help them and did NOTHING about it, Worse yet they called their own citizens traitors for defending themselves yet it was the Federation that betrayed their own citizens, We Klingons however helped them It was the honorable thing to do, while the Federation just sat back on their soft and weak rear ends saying that we were the unethical, bloodthirsty, unintelligent, slow, and evil in the flesh, The attitude of the Federation is sick for being such a 'tolerant' and 'peace loving' galactic power.

*See the Demilitarized zone.
Empire Veteran
# 8
11-04-2013, 04:45 PM
I would love to see a Gorn rebellion storyline that offers Gorn flavored rewards and a storyline written from their PoV.
I would love to see an Orion subterfuqe storyline that shows what they are really up to and brought to Jmpok to become a part of the faction with Orion flavored rewards and PoV.
I would also love to see a Nauscican mini storyline of missions that offers the same.

Such a series of missions would both feed the fans of those races and give a better image of the KDF being a loose allaince of races instead of a fed faction clone with spiky bits.
Richard Hamilton (1975-2014)
goodbye good friend. We will see you in the DMZ in the sky oneday, save a shot for us.
Captain
# 9
11-04-2013, 05:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bitemepwe View Post
I would love to see a Gorn rebellion storyline that offers Gorn flavored rewards and a storyline written from their PoV.
I would love to see an Orion subterfuqe storyline that shows what they are really up to and brought to Jmpok to become a part of the faction with Orion flavored rewards and PoV.
I would also love to see a Nauscican mini storyline of missions that offers the same.

Such a series of missions would both feed the fans of those races and give a better image of the KDF being a loose allaince of races instead of a fed faction clone with spiky bits.
I love those ideas. I want to see more of the going on's regarding the Orions, Gorn, Nausiccans, Lethians, Fersians and all of them.

As for sub-factions, the OP actually gave me an idea I will float: Species ships avalable for that species. Not everyone has purchased the Orion, Gorn, or Nausicaan ships. To whet their appetites, species should be able to aquire a "stripped down" version of their ships at the T2-T4 levels, and ONLY their species version with the ship token in addition to the standard KDF ships. Of course, if a play had purchased the C-store versions, they could still claim them regardless of species.

The ships would be to the C-store versions what the non C-store refits of the T2-T4 ships are. The Saber, Nova, Akira, Galaxy, Defiant, Intrepid, Qul'dun, Norgh, Qorgh, K'T'inga, K'Tang, and Pach all have one less console and one less BOFF power; the "stripped down" species ships likewise would be weaker. Also, there would be NO console on these versions. Also, these weaker versions would NOT be accessable except to their respective species.
Survivor of Romulus
# 10
11-04-2013, 05:48 PM
@ nymysys1

As I understand it someone wanted the Kzinti in STO but something went sideways in negotiations, but what I know could be completely wrong too.

For them joining the KDF look to the animated episode "The Slaver Weapon" as I understand it, the Kzinti Hegemony lost a war with the federation and ended up as a protectorate limited to police ships, so I can see them joining the KDF out for revenge.