Commander
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 271
# 1 Romulans!
11-05-2013, 07:09 AM
What's the best ship for a Romulan scientist?
I've got the smaller warbird, that is "technically still a science vessel". At lvl 50, with all my bridge officers capped, it doesn't seem to be matching the potential of my bridge officers.

I have that flying running shoe ship that is the end reward for the new mission. But I hate that thing.
I have one of the ginormous Romulan Wardbirds that can't get out of it's own way.

Any suggestions?

Should I just bide my time with the adequate but less than ideal ships I have right now until I can affford, or stumble across a better ship?
Lieutenant
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 48
# 2
11-05-2013, 07:55 AM
The only real non-cstore/lockbox Romulan Sci Vessel is the Ha'nom http://sto.gamepedia.com/Ha%27nom_Guardian_Warbird, which is probably the big warbird you are talking about. But as to what the best ship for a Sci Captain, it does not need to be a Science ship. It all depends if you want to use the higher end Sci bridge officer abilities or not. If you are looking at doing max dps, a sci ship is not the way to go.

Also, about your comment regarding the potential of your bridge officers, sci boff abilities were pretty much nerfed into being very underwhelming, and depend a great deal on your captain skills (things like flow cap, particle gen, etc), and sci consoles that support the particular power you are using. Generally, for sci, you need to concentrate on using one or two high end powers only, and then skill your captain and equip sci consoles to support it. As far as skill point efficiency, probably the top three high end sci boff abilities that are relevant are Gravity Well, Energy Drain and Tyken's Rift. The latter two are easy to allocate skill points for (flow caps) and consoles (flow caps). Use polaron weapons and the jem hadar space set, and you have what is probably the most narrowly focused (and thus maximumly effective at the skills in question) that you can get right now with the current state of sci and equipment.

Last edited by nymysys1; 11-05-2013 at 08:02 AM.
Commander
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 271
# 3
11-05-2013, 08:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nymysys1 View Post
The only real non-cstore/lockbox Romulan Sci Vessel is the Ha'nom http://sto.gamepedia.com/Ha%27nom_Guardian_Warbird, which is probably the big warbird you are talking about. But as to what the best ship for a Sci Captain, it does not need to be a Science ship. It all depends if you want to use the higher end Sci bridge officer abilities or not. If you are looking at doing max dps, a sci ship is not the way to go.
Yeah, that's the one I'm using now.
It's ok.
Would be better if it had one or two more abilities slots for my engineer and tactical bridge officers.

The other ships I've tried are just too damn slow.

I dunno, maybe a Scientist was the wrong choice.

*edit*
Ah, then I see I have gone about developing this character completely wrong then. I will try to muddle through with him until I can afford more character slots.

Last edited by brewtolomus; 11-05-2013 at 08:06 AM.
Lieutenant
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 48
# 4
11-05-2013, 08:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by brewtolomus View Post
Yeah, that's the one I'm using now.
It's ok.
Would be better if it had one or two more abilities slots for my engineer and tactical bridge officers.

The other ships I've tried are just too damn slow.

I dunno, maybe a Scientist was the wrong choice.

*edit*
Ah, then I see I have gone about developing this character completely wrong then. I will try to muddle through with him until I can afford more character slots.
The Ha'nom is widely seen as being gimped. There is a thread somewhere, probably the Romulan Flotilla section, with players discussing the poor state of Romulan Science. Science is probably the most gimped of the three professions, and of the three factions, Romulan is the worst off for sci ships.

Well, that all depends. You will have no trouble with any content as a sci captain. If you are a min/max type of player (nothing wrong with that) who wants to maximize damage potential to grind content as fast as possible, then tac is the way to go. However, its the tac boff abilities that are far more important than the captain abilities. With a Sci, your sensor scan helps with the damage (as well as photonic fleet). Its far more important to chose the right ship than the type of captain, unless, again, you a min-maxer and that last few precent of dps means that much to you.

I made a KDF tac last weekend, got her (orion) up to 40, then deleted her. I then made a KDF male klingon sci officer with a specific intent - I wanted a fleet to roll around in. I chose sci specifically because of photonic fleet - I can use the photonic capacitor trait to lower the cooldown on photonic fleet. He flies a vo'quv with BOP pets and an energy drain build. With photonic fleet popping every two minutes or so, with the BOPs, nimbus pirate call and the scorpion fighter device, I have my one man fleet.

All depends on what you want to do. I have a Romulan Sci at level 9, I will probably start leveling her up specifically for the Han'nom (fits the character concept).

Last edited by nymysys1; 11-05-2013 at 08:28 AM.
Commander
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 271
# 5
11-05-2013, 08:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nymysys1 View Post
Well, that all depends. You will have no trouble with any content as a sci captain. If you are a min/max type of player (nothing wrong with that) who wants to maximize damage potential to grind content as fast as possible, then tac is the way to go. However, its the tac boff abilities that are far more important than the captain abilities. With a Sci, your sensor scan helps with the damage (as well as photonic fleet). Its far more important to chose the right ship than the type of captain, unless, again, you a min-maxer and that last few precent of dps means that much to you.

I made a KDF tac last weekend, got her (orion) up to 40, then deleted her. I then made a KDF male klingon sci officer with a specific intent - I wanted a fleet to roll around in. I chose sci specifically because of photonic fleet - I can use the photonic capacitor trait to lower the cooldown on photonic fleet. He flies a vo'quv with BOP pets and an energy drain build. With photonic fleet popping every two minutes or so, with the BOPs, nimbus pirate call and the scorpion fighter device, I have my one man fleet.

All depends on what you want to do.
As a newb, I admit I'm at a loss on some of the lingo still.
I'm not (at this point anyway) interested in zerging through content. I'm sure that will happen eventually, but right now, I'm still a flower sniffer. I don't even get into teamspeak right now because it ruins the immersion for me. I think my fleeties are getting mad at me, lol.


I've only got 3 toons right now. And I'm just trying out different things to find what suits my current play style best.

And I have my Romulan Scientist and ship set up pretty much to be it's own fleet as well. But since I'm obviously still a newb, I'm sure there is something I've missed that is lowering the effectiveness of my ship.
Rihannsu
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 426
# 6
11-05-2013, 08:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by brewtolomus View Post
*edit*
Ah, then I see I have gone about developing this character completely wrong then. I will try to muddle through with him until I can afford more character slots.
You can also respec your skills and boff skill slots.
New home of the Romulan Republic.
I have an idea for what Season 9 should be; Season 9: The Big Bug Fix
Commander
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 271
# 7
11-05-2013, 08:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by seannewboy View Post
You can also respec your skills and boff skill slots.
Yeah, but if I understand it correctly, that ain't cheap.
Lieutenant
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 47
# 8
11-05-2013, 08:38 AM
Good Q/A. I'm also Science. I was curious as well. Thanks for the thread.
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 2,060
# 9
11-05-2013, 08:38 AM
I found the new freebie carrier works well with Sci, FWIW.

Nothing is as good as the Mirror DSSV with all turrets, but this one is nice.
_________________
Nebula coffee is the best coffee
Lieutenant
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 48
# 10
11-05-2013, 08:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by brewtolomus View Post
As a newb, I admit I'm at a loss on some of the lingo still.
I'm not (at this point anyway) interested in zerging through content. I'm sure that will happen eventually, but right now, I'm still a flower sniffer. I don't even get into teamspeak right now because it ruins the immersion for me. I think my fleeties are getting mad at me, lol.


I've only got 3 toons right now. And I'm just trying out different things to find what suits my current play style best.

And I have my Romulan Scientist and ship set up pretty much to be it's own fleet as well. But since I'm obviously still a newb, I'm sure there is something I've missed that is lowering the effectiveness of my ship.
Yeah, I would suggest you keep doing what you are doing, find out what you like flying, and experiment. As was said above, you can respec your captain skills (depending on if you are a sub or not, you may have a few free respecs available) and retraining boffs is trivial. Grav well is supposedly being boosted in Season 8, and the devs have said they want to give sci ships some unique capability (like they did with cruiser commands) in the future.

To me, sci is interesting simply because it has some variety in its abilities, and I like the challenge of making it more viable with whats available rather than just stacking dps.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:41 AM.