Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 120
# 11
11-05-2013, 03:55 PM
Wow, I totally agree on the dodge change. It is very frustrating that race makes such a huge difference on the ground vs. space pvp where just about every race is "equal" with the latest trait changes.
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 577
# 12
11-05-2013, 11:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by clintsat View Post
Wow, I totally agree on the dodge change. It is very frustrating that race makes such a huge difference on the ground vs. space pvp where just about every race is "equal" with the latest trait changes.
This is not true. Some races are better of the ground. Some are better in space. While I disagree with the reduction of dodge chance with catians I would suggest making a negative for them. Because they can jump higher and have a higher dodge chance let's decease their hit point to compensate. It is just like a join trill has a better regen rate, and liberated Borg have a natural shield regen and come with efficient for space.
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,964
# 13
11-05-2013, 11:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by simeion1 View Post
This is not true. Some races are better of the ground. Some are better in space. While I disagree with the reduction of dodge chance with catians I would suggest making a negative for them. Because they can jump higher and have a higher dodge chance let's decease their hit point to compensate. It is just like a join trill has a better regen rate, and liberated Borg have a natural shield regen and come with efficient for space.
A hit point reduction is less likely to happen than having the extra stat flat out removed. +10% Dodge is far superior to any trait you could possibly get on the ground, it's a flat out non-reducible damage mitigation.

It's not comparable to the Joined Trill's +0.10 health regeneration. Liberated Borg, Trills, and Bajorans all provide the player with +0.10 health regeneration. Bajorans actually heal more self damage than any other race. The Betazoid trait provides +0.05 health regneration to self AND team. Liberated borg have that bonus shield regeneration passive, but it amounts to about +5 shields/second. It makes Liberated Borg the best engineers, but it's not game changing. Caitians...they artificially inflate a tactical officer's surviability by a significant amount. The same goes with team ambush field stacking. A team with 5x Team Ambush Field has such a major advantage over anyone due to how powerful dodge is in combat. Champions Online recently dealt with their Dodge, Critical Hit, and Avoidance problem. Dodge is out of control, Critical hits aren't bad right now on ground(it's getting there), and Avoidance is fortunately only on two things (Rolling and Shattering Harmonics 3 piece bonus). Let us hope Cryptic learns from the Champions Online power creep and never adds avoidance to other items.

For those interested, the Champions Online dev solution to out of control dodge http://co.perfectworld.com/news/?p=1012441

We use it differently here from what I see. However, the stat appears to have the same effect here as it does there. Capping dodge would make it useful to have multiple copies of team ambush field, but it would eliminate the need for caitians and it would ensure that not every attack gets dodged. In Space you can't have more than a 75% miss ratio, it makes sense for Dodge to only have a 75% chance.
Captain
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 2,978
# 14
11-06-2013, 12:14 AM
I had an issue for a long time with ground, never paid much attention til now that I'm getting into it.

Now I could be wrong, but it seems like autofire with a fast firing weapon (full auto rifle, dual pistol etc...) makes the UI unresponsive when you click to activate an ability during a firing cycle. I don't know how to fix that, but the moment I do, I will start loving ground (not just like it lol).
Reality is WAR
KHG Klingon Honor Guard
Cryptic Studios Team
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 503
# 15
11-06-2013, 01:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by deokkent View Post
I had an issue for a long time with ground, never paid much attention til now that I'm getting into it.

Now I could be wrong, but it seems like autofire with a fast firing weapon (full auto rifle, dual pistol etc...) makes the UI unresponsive when you click to activate an ability during a firing cycle. I don't know how to fix that, but the moment I do, I will start loving ground (not just like it lol).
Most powers only stay in your power queue (your "next up!" selection) for .5 to 1 seconds. If you're using an autofire weapon that has a 2+ second animation time and attempting to queue up a power (you can't cast two powers with activate times simultaneously), you may experience what looks like the power queueing up (gets green highlight around the icon) then leaving your power queue.

It's probably notably different on ground compared to space because space has almost no powers with activate times - that's the reason you can fire all your weapons simultaneously and also activate BOff powers while you're at it. On ground, for almost all powers, you have to use them sequentially.

Or maybe there's another bug I don't know about. If you could show a video of what you're experiencing, that'd be helpful. It sounds like a frustrating experience one way or the other.
Jeff "Adjudicator Hawk" Hamilton
Systems Designer - Cryptic Studios
Twitter: @JeffAHamilton
Cryptic Studios Team
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 503
# 16
11-06-2013, 01:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by majortiraomega View Post
We use it differently here from what I see. However, the stat appears to have the same effect here as it does there. Capping dodge would make it useful to have multiple copies of team ambush field, but it would eliminate the need for caitians and it would ensure that not every attack gets dodged. In Space you can't have more than a 75% miss ratio, it makes sense for Dodge to only have a 75% chance.
We're not likely to put a cap on Dodge, but we may look into making Avoidance behave more consistently (e.g., make all players' dodges always 50% damage and no lower, forever, end of story). We may also put a stack group on sources of Dodge, as I don't think it was ever intended for people to be able to roll with 100+% dodge on ground.
Jeff "Adjudicator Hawk" Hamilton
Systems Designer - Cryptic Studios
Twitter: @JeffAHamilton
Cryptic Studios Team
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 503
# 17
11-06-2013, 01:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by buccaneerdtb View Post
I also like more maps, bigger maps, fair fights, sportsmanship, balance. I just felt we needed some positive thread titles to discuss things in.

Random positivity:

I see a lot of nice bug fixes going into Tribble right now.
Monday is a whole week away.
I like my fleet.
I have coffee.
Next up: Medical Vanguard procs on Fleet Shields (and any other passive power) getting fixed.
Jeff "Adjudicator Hawk" Hamilton
Systems Designer - Cryptic Studios
Twitter: @JeffAHamilton
Commander
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 463
# 18
11-06-2013, 01:33 AM
Yay! Ground love!

I have to agree on the above comment about the bosses. Do they have to be 12 ft tall? And having them just stand around getting shot at is a bit too Assimilated Carrier for me. On that note... next to pretty much any Warbird, 'Huge' seems like a redundant adjective.

One step at a time, and it's great that some not WAI stuff that affects Ground PvP is being looked at, but some comprehensive work on the AI wouldn't go a miss for both Ground and Space in the not so distant future. I haven't been on Tribble to have a look at the new stuff though, so maybe I'm out of touch. Make me scream for a nerf!

Wanted: 200,000 Dilithium Special Feature Projects for Romulan skinned Fleet Holdings.

Last edited by carasucia83; 11-06-2013 at 01:37 AM.
Empire Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 6,852
# 19
11-06-2013, 01:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by adjudicatorhawk View Post
Next up: Medical Vanguard procs on Fleet Shields (and any other passive power) getting fixed.
i acsidently qued ground the other day, and im pretty sure i was shooting at someone with this. boy was i under geared for ground pvp lol.

that reminds me though, that SNB doff is made useless my elite space shields. the proc from it is most likely just going to remove 3 of the 20+ res stacks, and not the 5 or so station powers that might be active. those res stacks will almost instantly be back too, those should not be in play with what the SNB doff can interfere with.
gateway links-->Norvo Tigan, Telis Latto Ruwon, Sochie Heim, Solana Soleus
Cryptic Studios Team
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 503
# 20
11-06-2013, 02:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by carasucia83 View Post
Yay! Ground love!

I have to agree on the above comment about the bosses. Do they have to be 12 ft tall? And having them just stand around getting shot at is a bit too Assimilated Carrier for me. On that note... next to pretty much any Warbird, 'Huge' seems like a redundant adjective.

One step at a time, and it's great that some not WAI stuff that affects Ground PvP is being looked at, but some comprehensive work on the AI wouldn't go a miss for both Ground and Space in the not so distant future. I haven't been on Tribble to have a look at the new stuff though, so maybe I'm out of touch. Make me scream for a nerf!
Voth AI is a lot better (less dumb) than most of our other critters. I would love to take a hard look at all of our general AI and make it smarter just on principle, but the danger there is that better AI isn't necessarily more fun - so we'd have to make sure that AI changes are actually making the game better, not just "more realistic" or "harder" or whatnot.

One thing I'm almost definitely going to try to do is make critters use powers a little more often. Right now they have anywhere from a 2 to a 3 second cycle time between a power finishing activation and another power getting queued. A lot of that dead time is to make them feel more organic/less robotic, which it does actually succeed at - but it also makes especially ground critters feel super dumb, which is less than optimal.
Jeff "Adjudicator Hawk" Hamilton
Systems Designer - Cryptic Studios
Twitter: @JeffAHamilton
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:51 AM.