Republic Veteran
# 101
11-06-2013, 12:58 AM
Everything that has transpired has done so according to my design. Your Allies , up there on the Dyson sphere, are walking into a trap, as is your Federation Fleet . It was *I* who allowed the Romulans to know the location of the Omega molecules. It is quite safe from your pitiful little band. An entire legion of my best Dinosaurs awaits them.

Oh, I'm afraid the Voth Fortress will be quite operational when your friends arrive.

Paid for by the down with Bajor Party
Commander
# 102 too big
11-06-2013, 01:04 AM
I am afraid that this is not a good direction, because firing RANGE is only 10KM. It makes from STO game of a dogfights. These big ships are maybe epic but inappropriate to play. Every ship larger than 500 m is too big because firing range in STO is only 10 km (in tv show 300000km )
Captain
# 103
11-06-2013, 01:08 AM
That's some massive compensating you're doin' there, Voth.

Helpful Tools: Dictionary.com - Logical fallacies - Random generator - Word generator - Color tool - Extra Credits - List of common English language errors - Big booty tutorial - Also, follow me on Twitter!
Survivor of Remus
# 104
11-06-2013, 01:12 AM
So we've got Craftworlds now too?

Did one of the devs own up to being the 40k enthusiast in the end? lol.

Peacekeeper High Command
Bylar Crais - Zelbinion IV
Scorpius - R.R.W. Kharibdyss
Career Officer
# 105
11-06-2013, 05:22 AM
Tried flying a big carrier in that ship, inert en low turn rate.

It's no fun getting stuck all the time.
Starfleet Veteran
# 106
11-06-2013, 05:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by syndonai View Post

I couldn't stop laughing to this. Indeed it sure looks like the voth got their own craftworlds. In a way that was what it was all about craftworlds *cough*
"You ask why we give our ships computer normal emotions. Do you really want a warship incapable of loyalty?"
Captain
# 107
11-06-2013, 06:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by syndonai View Post

Actually it looks a bit like a Chaos Grand cruiser.
Just a lot bigger, depending if Grand cruisers are 7(Rogue trader) or 13(black Library) kilometers long.

Or any chaos Cruiser like this : http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__...ht_Cruiser.jpg

Does this mean we can get a Khornate Tyrannosaurus...err..Virinosaurus rex?
Let us wear Swimsuits on Foundry maps or bridges please! I would pay zen for that.
Commander
# 108
11-06-2013, 06:55 AM
Holy moley!

Subscribed For: 1600+ Days
Commander
# 109
11-06-2013, 07:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwhitaker View Post
Based on the size of Halo's U.N.S.C. Infinity, which is 5.7 km long and has 17000 crew, the 135 km city ship could house about 400000 people. That seems off to me, seeing as a 3km Borg cube could house up to 130000 crew, though I doubt the Voth would force their citizens into dwelling in alcoves. Say a Borg cube of 3km sustained 80000 crew, doing the math, a city ship could, by those standards, support a compliment of roughly 3.6 million. Dayum. Das big. But if it's as big as that diagram shows, the hell with the Borg. To whoever made that post about why the Voth aren't the lead power in the delta quadrant...in all seriousness, the Feds need to take one of these, and convert it into a blockade runner. Install primary, secondary, and tertiary redundant shielding to the fore of the ship, reroute all non-essential power to forward shields, install ablative armoring, and back that with forcefield shrouded reinforced hull armor. Instant anti-Borg transwarp battering ram. With that, you could literally PLOW through a TACTICAL FUSION CUBE. I can only say, that after this, we can only logically blame all of our galaxy's assimilation issues on the assumed-duty-shirking Voth.
I don't know nearly nothin', but a borg cube isn't really a model for a living society. From the little that I think I do know, Borg living appointments are little more than a space to stand, they (likely) eat Nutripaste (tm) or 'Soylent Borg' (tm) (lol, came up with that one just now!) and really don't need much in terms of recreational spaces of lounging areas... so they probably fit 100-1000x the number of people into a normal living space.

I suspect there are dissertation-level analyses of this stuff out there (wave arms dramatically) in the Big Internet World; I just haven't had a chance to look...
Captain
# 110
11-06-2013, 08:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by captaind3 View Post
Pretty much. But they shouldn't fly a country into a battle zone.

The Voth have found a new homeworld, but I think they're still primarily a space borne species. 65 million years of space travel, starting with a mass immigration that they don't remember, they could have cultural remnants that they don't even understand. Like in One Piece with the Void Century, the Voth have undergone changes in their society that they don't even comprehend.

If you've already lost one homeworld, I doubt your species would want to put all their eggs in one basket. Especially since they're so resistant to change.

Alternatively they could just think that it is just as logical for a city to function as a starship as for it to sit static on the surface of a planet. A ship that size could have thirty shopping malls, two zoos, a lake, eight universities, four voting districts, a farm, a supermarket, twelve hospitals, with four egg nurseries, and a partridge-in-a-pear-tree.

And unlike Captain Picard's misgivings about families on a Galaxy class, a Voth City Ship or Fortress Ship with an absolute defense like the phase cloak could park inside a supernova and it would be about as dangerous as fireworks (unless even a phase cloak can't dodge a supernova). Or it could just...y'know shoot with all of its weapons. Can you imagine a full broadside from that thing? Like a fleet from Macross.

Megatron Class
As a battleship (which this thing seems to be), a ship that big would serve two purposes:

1. House and power the most powerful weapons imaginable to the creators.

2. Use whatever space remains to hold a fleet of battleships.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmassx View Post
I am afraid that this is not a good direction, because firing RANGE is only 10KM. It makes from STO game of a dogfights. These big ships are maybe epic but inappropriate to play. Every ship larger than 500 m is too big because firing range in STO is only 10 km (in tv show 300000km )
You're not going to fly a Fortress, period. You're going to do trench runs directed at a stationary prop dotted with tons of easily (and less easily) destroyed hardpoints - and filled with smaller Voth starships on the inside.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Infinite possibilities have implications that could not be completely understood if you turned this entire universe into a giant supercomputer.
And I don't pretend to understand them.