Captain
# 41
11-04-2013, 02:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nagorak View Post

Just writing up everything in a word processor is not realistic, nor does it help when you already have an entire mission entered into the Foundry editor.
Yeah, I've tried this many times. It certainly helps to find typos, but it can mess up the format quite easily. For example, if I'm writing in word, my brain is trained to put quotation marks around something a character says. In the Foundry I have to then go through each dialogue obsessively and find the quotation marks.

Trying to writer a really complex branching dialogue in word is a nightmare.
Lt. Commander
# 42
11-05-2013, 12:01 AM
I'm still looking for beta testers... the more missions I can get this thing to crunch on, the more bulletproof I can make it.

Speaking of beta, the engine is now DONE. I just need to run it against more people's missions to find the holes. (Holes, in this case, being unexpected things cropping up in the dump file.) I've sent stoutes the latest output for his missions "Collectiveness Strikes Gold I & II" and he should be able to comment on it.

I'll likely be adding a simple Windows UI tomorrow to finish this thing off.

But... I NEED MORE FOUNDRY EXPORT FILES TO TEST WITH! So please PM me if you'd like me to run your mission through the formatter. Once I verify that there aren't any problems, you'll get a copy of the HTML output from the formatter for your mission.
Captain
# 43
11-05-2013, 07:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by donperk View Post
I'm still looking for beta testers... the more missions I can get this thing to crunch on, the more bulletproof I can make it.

Speaking of beta, the engine is now DONE. I just need to run it against more people's missions to find the holes. (Holes, in this case, being unexpected things cropping up in the dump file.) I've sent stoutes the latest output for his missions "Collectiveness Strikes Gold I & II" and he should be able to comment on it.

I'll likely be adding a simple Windows UI tomorrow to finish this thing off.

But... I NEED MORE FOUNDRY EXPORT FILES TO TEST WITH! So please PM me if you'd like me to run your mission through the formatter. Once I verify that there aren't any problems, you'll get a copy of the HTML output from the formatter for your mission.
I don't mind helping you, but my missions are in French. Your call.
----
Starfleet Veteran
# 44
11-05-2013, 07:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by erei1 View Post
I don't mind helping you, but my missions are in French. Your call.
Actually that might be a very good thing to run a test with, to see how it deals with special characters and such. Granted the output might be less well formatted initially, but I of course encourage this, and any other language submissions anyone wants to put forward
Survivor of Romulus
# 45
11-05-2013, 07:54 AM
I think that testing a french mission will be a very good case to test... Special characters tend to be wonky when transfered to html, and le French has lots of wonky characters...
^^ I am Stoutes, and I approve of my message ^^

Last edited by stoutes; 11-05-2013 at 08:00 AM.
Captain
# 46
11-05-2013, 07:57 AM
Mine's in English but I've got one name that uses Slavic diacritics (offscreen Federation ambassador who's supposed to be Slovak, because humans in Star Trek should be from more places on Earth than just America, Western Europe, and East Asia), and a case where I wrote "nee" with the accent mark (Starfleet dossier of a joined Trill).
Vadm. Kanril Eleya, U.S.S. Andraste, Strike Team Alpha

Useful Links for Foundry Writers | "Bait and Switch" -- Fed Foundry project, Part 1 rewards-qualified!
Say no to Arc! STO standalone installer
Captain
# 47
11-05-2013, 01:26 PM
I tried to get the dump of my mission by typing /ugcEditorExportProject BaitAndSwitch1.txt into chat but it didn't work. All that happened was my character said the line aloud.
Vadm. Kanril Eleya, U.S.S. Andraste, Strike Team Alpha

Useful Links for Foundry Writers | "Bait and Switch" -- Fed Foundry project, Part 1 rewards-qualified!
Say no to Arc! STO standalone installer
Career Officer
# 48
11-05-2013, 01:35 PM
Sounds silly but you might have had a space before the /

Check out my Foundry missions:
Standalone - The Great Escape - The Galaxy's Fair - Purity I: Of Denial - Return to Oblivion
The Defenders - Duritanium Man - The Improbable Bulk - [WIP] Commander Rihan
Lt. Commander
# 49
11-05-2013, 02:05 PM
You need to issue the command from the Foundry editor and make sure the / is the very first character on the line. As zorbane hinted, if it's not the first character then your command will be sent to the selected chat channel instead.

And yes, I welcome non-English missions! In fact, I want to localize the output to match the Foundry-supported languages. The Engine was built from the ground up to support Unicode, so non-ASCII characters are already supported.
Lt. Commander
# 50
11-06-2013, 07:00 AM
I'm still looking for beta testers! Castmodean/Castsbugc took the plunge with "Purity IV: Of Vision" and it helped me find a problem with chat bubbles that I hadn't encountered before. And he got a mission report back.

I'd like to get about ten more people's missions run through before I make this thing public. Any takers? I turn these things around fast when there are no issues (and even when there are) and I don't bite my beta testers.