Captain
The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug - Sneak Peak (In case you've not seen this recent one yet. )

Question: The vid clip shows a bit of Laketown. The architecture seems to be influenced by that of Rohan. Was/Is Laketown part of Rohan territory? There seems to be some influence of Rivendell in it as well.
Captain
# 2
11-06-2013, 04:56 AM
Awww you beat me to it.
Captain
# 3
11-06-2013, 10:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by steamwright View Post
Question: The vid clip shows a bit of Laketown. The architecture seems to be influenced by that of Rohan. Was/Is Laketown part of Rohan territory? There seems to be some influence of Rivendell in it as well.
It's been awhile since I've reread "The Hobbit", but I seem to recall that Dale and Lake Town were an independent kingdom (Bard in the story becomes the next King of Dale; years later, King Brand dies in the War of the Ring -- I believe at the side of Thorin III, King Under the Mountain). Don't think they were that closely related to Rohan, since Mirkwood divided them. And since the Men of Dale and Lake Town weren't Edain/Dunedain, any influence of Rivendell's architecture on Lake Town's would be incorrect. Like I said, I'm a bit rusty.
Captain
# 4
11-06-2013, 12:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by philipclayberg View Post
It's been awhile since I've reread "The Hobbit", but I seem to recall that Dale and Lake Town were an independent kingdom (Bard in the story becomes the next King of Dale; years later, King Brand dies in the War of the Ring -- I believe at the side of Thorin III, King Under the Mountain). Don't think they were that closely related to Rohan, since Mirkwood divided them. And since the Men of Dale and Lake Town weren't Edain/Dunedain, any influence of Rivendell's architecture on Lake Town's would be incorrect. Like I said, I'm a bit rusty.
Mirkwood was not the only thing between Laketown and Rohan. There was also the Anduin, and quite a bit of no-man's land. They're almost on opposite sides of the map.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oh, lovely, I can't even requote the Douglas Adams quote I used to have here I WANT IT BACK!!!!
Dalo Lorn
DaloLorn, StarCraft 2 Roleplayer and proud of it.
Captain
# 5
11-06-2013, 03:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkwing43 View Post
Awww you beat me to it.
Actually, I'm very surprised dozens of others hadn't beaten me to it.

As to my question...thanks. Dale makes sense. My Tolkien knowledge is pretty rusty, but then its been 30 years, with only the movies, and a short jaunt in LotRO to break the drought. For some reason, I'd gotten it in my mind that only Rohan and Gondor remained of the human kingdoms.