Captain
# 1 DEM - Actual Effects?
11-06-2013, 11:26 AM
According to the tooltip, DEM allows more damage to penetrate shields and strike the opponent directly in the hull. However, I have been told by some players it actually also increases energy weapon damage in general. Which is it? If it doesn't, then is there any other benefit from this? I don't have Marion and chances are I never will, but it seems to be a popular ability to slot into a build these days. I'm thinking of tweaking my build for this, so it would be helpful to know.

Thanks for any help!
Captain
# 2
11-06-2013, 11:32 AM
Dem adds direct hull damage to your energy weapons...

With marion you get energy drain resistance which inadvertently increases total energy damage done by not getting penalized from lower weapon power
Chive on and prosper, eh?

My PvE/PvP hybrid skill tree
Captain
# 3
11-06-2013, 02:55 PM
In my experience I find DEM gives a flat bonus to damage based on your existing damage output for a combat log example:

Your <Weapon> deals XXXX (YYYY) <damage type> damage to <Target> shields
Your <Weapon> deals XXX (YYY) <damage type> damage to <Target> hull
Your Directed Energy Modulation deals XXX (YYY) damage to <Target> hull

From what I've seen this applies regardless of target shield status
Career Officer
# 4
11-06-2013, 03:00 PM
Is it worth using DEM3 without Marion? Been using it on my Avenger but not sure how much of a benefit it really is without said doff.

-Lantesh
Since Feb. 2009
Captain
# 5
11-06-2013, 03:36 PM
Beams or cannons?

I personally wouldn't ya it without marion, get some support powers in there
Chive on and prosper, eh?

My PvE/PvP hybrid skill tree
Career Officer
# 6
11-06-2013, 05:34 PM
Sounds good. I'll have to mess around a bit and see what else I need to replace it.

Oh and I'm using cannons.

-Lantesh
Since Feb. 2009
Career Officer
# 7
11-06-2013, 05:37 PM
The tooltip is accurate, it is illusionary that it provides a flat bonus to damage, because the damage that goes through the shields to the hull rolls against the hull resistance, which is different then shield resistance.
Captain
# 8
11-06-2013, 10:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lan451 View Post
Is it worth using DEM3 without Marion? Been using it on my Avenger but not sure how much of a benefit it really is without said doff.
Unless you're using beam overload there's really no need for marion as it only lasts 8 seconds.

DEM does damage based on your weapons power whether the target is shielded or not. If you're using beams, overcapping will keep you full on weapons power almost all the time. Using FAW makes DEM hit twice just after each beam hit and each DEM hit can trigger a weapons proc also, so with FAW and using phasers for exampel, you can get a phaser proc with the beam hit, then two additional proc chances with each DEM hit. I can usually get DEM to hit for a little over 400 damage for each beam hit. that's 400 damage + whatever normal energy damage done.

It works great on cannons also but cannons dont benefit from overcapping like beams do.

Another cool fact about DEM is it has the same duration and same cool down as APA and APA buffs DEM damage
Career Officer
# 9
11-07-2013, 01:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmy1081 View Post
Unless you're using beam overload there's really no need for marion as it only lasts 8 seconds.

DEM does damage based on your weapons power whether the target is shielded or not. If you're using beams, overcapping will keep you full on weapons power almost all the time. Using FAW makes DEM hit twice just after each beam hit and each DEM hit can trigger a weapons proc also, so with FAW and using phasers for exampel, you can get a phaser proc with the beam hit, then two additional proc chances with each DEM hit. I can usually get DEM to hit for a little over 400 damage for each beam hit. that's 400 damage + whatever normal energy damage done.

It works great on cannons also but cannons dont benefit from overcapping like beams do.

Another cool fact about DEM is it has the same duration and same cool down as APA and APA buffs DEM damage
I know you are talking about same cooldowwns but have you tried it with APB. Since DEM is going straight to hull. Would you not benifit more here? It is just a question. I would test it out.
Captain
# 10
11-07-2013, 08:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by simeion1 View Post
I know you are talking about same cooldowwns but have you tried it with APB. Since DEM is going straight to hull. Would you not benifit more here? It is just a question. I would test it out.
yeah you get more out of it with A2B.

In fact, because DEM has such a long cool down, just one A2B lowers DEM to global All extra damage helps.

Two A2B will keep things like APB on global (things with shorter cool downs).

One thing I forgot to mention about DEM boosting proc chances is it works with any proc. That means Omega Weapon Amplifier set bonus and Omega Graviton Amplifier from Omega T4 rep will proc more when DEM is activated and proc like crazy when DEM and FAW are both activated.

Last edited by rmy1081; 11-07-2013 at 08:45 AM.