Starfleet Veteran
# 111
11-07-2013, 01:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by iskandus View Post
Sorry for the late reply. First of all, this ship is build around maximizing all subsystem power whenever possible. The reason why you are seeing a progressive power buff is due to two things: 1) Your Energy Siphon kicks in 2) Plasmonic Leech starts to siphon energy from your target and channel them to you

The raison d'etre of A2B in a build where power maximization is not difficult is in fact to reduce the CD time of boff abilities whereas power boost is secondary. I should have explained the intent of A2B more clearly since this obviously led to confusion among some people as to what does a Science vessel do with A2B?

RSP is mostly practical in a PvP or in a situation where you have a high risk of getting gangked such as a whole fleet of Tholian swarms or nasty Klingons who like ambush people in Kerrat. Also, if a RSP is used in the build, then A2B becomes mandatory or else its CD time become too long.

One of the earlier criticism of this build is that this thread was built around a Tactical Captain in a Sci ship. It was also revealed later that I have in fact started a Science Captain toon who happened to get lucky and got a Wells of his own from a Temporal lockbox lottery - Ludavix is his name. I have sidelined him for some time doing nothing at all until recently when it became apparent that PvP in STO will die soon. Happy to report I have finally started to level him up the Reputation tree as of yesterday even though he is still at Tier 0 everywhere. His gear is as basic as one can get, only the generic deflector, engines and shields : Bare bone Sci Wells with Sci Captain Even the flow capacitor are the plain ones bought from the Exchange since Ludavix doesn't have the fleet credit to buy the gear from the Embassy yet and he doesn't have the EC to get any Field Generator Mk XII either. With Tier 0 in Reputation everywhere and such basic gear, you think he'd be toast in Elite STF. Well, it turns out, he is beating fully leveled and geared ships easily, see proofs :

1st place @ Crystalline Entity (Elite)

1st place again @ Crystalline Entity (Elite)

CE (Elite) is considered one of the hardest STF out there, some think it's undoable. Take my fleet, a large one, for example, I am not aware of anyone else doing it. They do all kind of eSTF but skip the CE (Elite). If they do it, it's only on Normal difficulty, not the Elite version. I pug it all the time, just wasn't sure how Ludavix would fare in it with such basic gear and no reputation bonus at all. I probably played CE Elite around 6 or 7 times since starting Ludavix on his reputation grind. In no event did he finish outside of Top 3 in every instance and to be sure, he doesn't finish 1st every time either. But given the consistency of his placements and winning quite many times, I say it's pretty impressive for a Sci Captain who is just starting out and not relying on any fancy gear or items or ability. Notice in both screenshots, the crew are pretty much all dead even thought the ship and shields are intact. That's because, compared to Iskan's ship who has the benefit of Adapted MACO 2 piece bonus to protect it, Ludavix is using a free deflector dish and a shield that cost merely 60K on the Exchange. To be honest, I was surprised myself too he is doing so well.

Suffice to say, Ludavix's ship will look very different a month or two from now. In fact, I can tell you his ship will look quite a bit different from that of Iskan, including Energy Type and gear. I'd say they would be different in as much as 80% of their gear & equipment & weapons. The fundamental principles will not change, there will not be any use of Tactical stations as it is already shown in these screenshots - and will continue in the tradition of Pure Science, though some of the elements under review is the use of A2B. As can be seen already, the ship is already kicking ass without A2B at Tier 0 in Reputation. It may be possible to optimize a Sci Ship commanded by a Sci Captain without using A2B. I will need to run more testing but so far this looks promising.
Welcome back!
I'm still having lots of fun on both my main character and my sci captain.
The other day I got the eleven BNP's on my main captain, switched to my sci captain, and got the eleven on that one too! My science captains name is Rebbeca and she's getting the eleven on infected the conduit elite more often than not! She just made tier 4 omega rep and is grinding out the omega torpedo which should be done tonight.
I've gotten into the habit of using ES plus GW3 plus FBP2 at once to attack the cube with good results. As for gear I used my main captain to go to memory alpha and make up an Aegis set for her, and with the omega torpedo she's good to go.
However she still uses plasma weapons so at some point I may switch to tetryon, but, as the saying goes, don't argue with success.
I should also add that when I get the eleven BNP's there is usually a Scimitar or some behemoth ship loaded with cannons and all the bells and whistles. This is a great build and I'll be playing it for some time to come!
By the way I sent you a friend request from my main toon
Empire Veteran
# 112
11-27-2013, 05:16 PM
This post has been edited to remove content which violates the Perfect World Entertainment Community Rules and Policies. ~BranFlakes

Last edited by pwebranflakes; 11-28-2013 at 11:58 AM.
Lt. Commander
# 113
11-28-2013, 12:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dius1981 View Post
This post has been edited to remove content which violates the Perfect World Entertainment Community Rules and Policies. ~BranFlakes
I think you should edit-out that PMs.
Publicating PMs is a demonstration of little respect for someone's privacy.

Last edited by pwebranflakes; 11-28-2013 at 11:58 AM.
Rihannsu
# 114
11-28-2013, 12:15 AM
not only that, it can also be considered naming and shaming, which is against forum rules...so yeah, i'd remove that if i were you
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwecaptainsmirk View Post
*reassuringly strokes your hair*
Hush now, you will be back kicking Neelix and killing those nasty Vaadwaur soon enough... hush child.
*pat pat on your head*
epic smirk is epic
Empire Veteran
# 115
11-28-2013, 07:06 AM

Last edited by pwebranflakes; 11-28-2013 at 11:59 AM.
Captain
# 116
11-28-2013, 11:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowfang240 View Post
not only that, it can also be considered naming and shaming, which is against forum rules...so yeah, i'd remove that if i were you
The said poster went into a private PvP, in which you can see he cloaked in the middle of the battle. After being told doing so is considered forfeit, he continued to do so. You can see he has no regard for rules or fair play, therefore, breaking forum post rules would obviously be fairly low priority on his list.

He is obviously proud breaking rules and thinking doing so will gather him a lot of attention, that's why he chose to come to this thread. Suffice to say, he is wrong. He will get attention, just not the type he wants. Furthermore, I can confirm that the Combat Log and Parsing failed to show many of the hits that were supposed to be registering, which you can see in the youtube clip, I was already questioning after the first match. Draw whatever conclusion you want from this, I will no longer be playing with this person and I advise others to do the same - this person just wants attention, nothing more. We all know what will happen next so don't waste your time with this person, ignore him here and in game, this is the best course of action.

Last edited by iskandus; 11-28-2013 at 11:46 AM.
Empire Veteran
# 117
11-28-2013, 11:57 AM
Quote:
The said poster went into a private PvP, in which you can see he cloaked in the middle of the battle. After being told doing so is considered forfeit, he continued to do so. You can see he has no regard for rules or fair play, therefore, breaking forum post rules would obviously be fairly low priority on his list.

He is obviously proud breaking rules and thinking doing so will gather him a lot of attention, that's why he chose to come to this thread. Suffice to say, he is wrong. He will get attention, just not the type he wants. Furthermore, I can confirm that the Combat Log and Parsing failed to show many of the hits that were supposed to be registering, which you can see in the youtube clip, I was already questioning after the first match. Draw whatever conclusion you want from this, I will no longer be playing with this person and I advise others to do the same - this person just wants attention, nothing more. We all know what will happen next so don't waste your time with this person, ignore him here and in game, this is the best course of action.
Don't forget, you challenged me bro... =)
Lt. Commander
# 118
11-28-2013, 12:32 PM
Quote:
Riddle me this...

If 5 Romulans (which all have battle cloaks) were to fight 5 feds in their dual A2B BFAW cruisers, would that be considered cheating as well?

Using your ship the way it was meant to be can hardly be called cheating or disregarding rules.

What do we get next? A ban on Elachi weapons for the extra shield bypass?

And from what I can tell from the clip you pinned you down with tractor beam which killed your defense. That, the lack of TT to compensate shields and his fully buffed 7 beams can explain the reason you died imho.

Edit: forgot the decloak buff + possible boffs and their traits.

Last edited by intrepid74656; 11-28-2013 at 12:41 PM.
Captain
# 119
11-28-2013, 01:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by intrepid74656 View Post
Riddle me this...

If 5 Romulans (which all have battle cloaks) were to fight 5 feds in their dual A2B BFAW cruisers, would that be considered cheating as well?

Using your ship the way it was meant to be can hardly be called cheating or disregarding rules.
Good question, so I'll answer this. One of the reason why cloaking during a private PvP is considered forfeiting is because you can cloak, run away and regenerate your hull, which is precisely what happened here. As you can see, the said person's hull fell to 34% or so, immediately cloaked and ran away. This is considered forfeiting. Additionally, if both ships have cloak, this would be endless. Then the question becomes what would have happened if the said player did not cloak and ran away, what would have happened? Unequivocally, he would have died given his hull was buckling badly already while mine were at 99-100% with full shields.

I didn't make those rules to be sure. This derived from the PvP community's experience ever since STO exist and elite PvPers accept there are actions you shouldn't take to waste people's times or engage in foul play. I created this thread to be cheese free and have always made fair play a centerpiece here. If you are looking for cheesy build and tactics where one could score 100K+ damage in 2 seconds, this is really the wrong place for you. There are even threads where you can go to find about all the latest exploits and bugs, this is not the place for it and I am not interested in catering to people who are excited about these mechanics.

Quote:
What do we get next? A ban on Elachi weapons for the extra shield bypass?
These are two separate issues.

Quote:
And from what I can tell from the clip you pinned you down with tractor beam which killed your defense. That, the lack of TT to compensate shields and his fully buffed 7 beams can explain the reason you died imho.
Your explanation is overly simplified. He was cloaked while I was wondering where the hell he went. I wasn't even sure if he was still in game or not. To be honest, it caught me totally off guard, my bad - I was confused. I have encountered hundreds of decloaked alpha before and defeated those easily, you think he invented this? Clearly, there was something more to it.

Anyway, I am far from invincible, I am just a casual player who believes in fair play and I hope my thread can continued be used solely for the purpose of sharing build tips on the Pure Science style with fellow Federation Captains and I thank Bran for intervening and bring us back on track.

Last edited by iskandus; 11-28-2013 at 01:16 PM.
Lt. Commander
# 120
11-28-2013, 01:48 PM
Quote:
Good question, so I'll answer this. One of the reason why cloaking during a private PvP is considered forfeiting is because you can cloak, run away and regenerate your hull, which is precisely what happened here. As you can see, the said person's hull fell to 34% or so, immediately cloaked and ran away. This is considered forfeiting. Additionally, if both ships have cloak, this would be endless. Then the question becomes what would have happened if the said player did not cloak and ran away, what would have happened? Unequivocally, he would have died given his hull was buckling badly already while mine were at 99-100% with full shields.
No offense, but you didn't answer the question. How would 5 cloakers vs 5 BFAW boats look like? Come to think of it, a scenario even worse; 5 cloaked boats like his running BFAW vs 5 BFAW Fleet Assault Cruisers or Fleet Avengers..
Is there a rule in place that specifies the ratio of cloakers vs non cloak?

Don't get me wrong, I understand that it can be very frustrating to fight a cloaked ship but STO wouldn't be ST without the cloak.

Quote:
I didn't make those rules to be sure. This derived from the PvP community's experience ever since STO exist and elite PvPers accept there are actions you shouldn't take to waste people's times or engage in foul play. I created this thread to be cheese free and have always made fair play a centerpiece here. If you are looking for cheesy build and tactics where one could score 100K+ damage in 2 seconds, this is really the wrong place for you. There are even threads where you can go to find about all the latest exploits and bugs, this is not the place for it and I am not interested in catering to people who are excited about these mechanics.
Neither am I.

Quote:
These are two separate issues.
How come? Both are build into the game by Cryptic and many believe they are some form of hax as there is very little you can do except bring alot of A2SIF, HE and ET.

Quote:
Your explanation is overly simplified. He was cloaked while I was wondering where the hell he went. I wasn't even sure if he was still in game or not. To be honest, it caught me totally off guard, my bad - I was confused. I have encountered hundreds of decloaked alpha before and defeated those easily, you think he invented this? Clearly, there was something more to it.

Anyway, I am far from invincible, I am just a casual player who believes in fair play and I hope my thread can continued be used solely for the purpose of sharing build tips on the Pure Science style with fellow Federation Captains and I thank Bran for intervening and bring us back on track.
I'm not saying he invented it, I'm just saying he is using it properly. And alpha strikes come in 2 different forms, pinned or unpinned. Unpinned the damage would be much less severe.
Combine pinned and AP weapons (if I'm correct) with possibly the CritD/CritH consoles and you've got yourself a one shot crit hitter again.