Cryptic Studios Team
# 1 New LCARS Looks bad here:
11-09-2013, 01:02 PM
You may have noticed our new LCARS textures are in. Thomas the Cat made a new texture sheet for the LCARS, and we save over the old, blue texture.

As such, this texture will now auto-propagate to anywhere that was using the old blue textures. (That's Good!)

However, people over the years have been sloppy, and unwrapped consoles in hideous ways. (That's Bad.)

The old, blue, blurry texture hid the bad unwrap jobs people had done. (That's Good!)

But the new texture, which is clearer, and higher res, will now make those terrible unwraps very apparent. (That's Bad.)

Unfortunately, there is no magic fix. We have to go through object by object and correct the UVs. I can't guarantee when that will happen. It will take a while.

But you can help! Post here with a screenshot of a cruddy Unwrap, and tell us where you found this piece. This means anything that looks stretchy, wonky, flipped, upside down, backwards, whatever. I'm going to correct the most commonly used assets shortly after this goes to Holodeck, but there are likely many small, one off pieces that are going to be ugly.

Again, there is no promised timeline here, it will happen when I have a chance to touch them up.

Here are some examples of bad UVs:
(I'll take some shots and put them here on Monday)

Thanks
-The Artist formerly known as Tumerboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightybobcnc View Post
Tacofangs, what is your beef with where's Sulu?

Last edited by tacofangs; 11-09-2013 at 01:05 PM.
Captain
# 2
11-09-2013, 06:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacofangs View Post
As such, this texture will now auto-propagate to anywhere that was using the old blue textures. (That's Good!)

However, people over the years have been sloppy, and unwrapped consoles in hideous ways. (That's Bad.)

The old, blue, blurry texture hid the bad unwrap jobs people had done. (That's Good!)

But the new texture, which is clearer, and higher res, will now make those terrible unwraps very apparent. (That's Bad.)
Is anyone else getting a Simpson's vibe from this post besides me?
Career Officer
# 3
11-09-2013, 07:09 PM
I'm already in a state of P A N I C !!

<chuckle>

......... DaveyNY ...STO Forum Minion since February - 2009
..............Star Trek Fan since Thursday Sept. 8th, 1966
There are No Longer any STO Veterans... We're Just Minions who have Played the Game for the last 4.75 years.
.......................SARCASM... Just Another Service I Offer...
Captain
# 4
11-09-2013, 07:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by starkaos View Post
Is anyone else getting a Simpson's vibe from this post besides me?
I don't even know what he's talking about, but it sounds like something else got "fixed", and is, in all likelihood, going to stay that way.
This all happened... more, or less.
Captain
# 5
11-09-2013, 10:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by capnkirk4 View Post
I don't even know what he's talking about, but it sounds like something else got "fixed", and is, in all likelihood, going to stay that way.
Basically, the updated LCARS graphics in Season 8 will cause graphical problems that used the old blue LCARS and Tacofangs needs help to locate every instance of it since it is slow and painful work for just him to do.

The Simpsons vibe is from the That's Good and That's Bad comments.
Cryptic Studios Team
# 6
11-10-2013, 02:06 AM
I'll update with some examples on Monday when I get back in. It's not on Holodeck until Tuesday, and at that point, all I'm asking is for people to post images/locations for places where the new LCARS looks weird, or if the old Blue LCARS is still being used.
-The Artist formerly known as Tumerboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightybobcnc View Post
Tacofangs, what is your beef with where's Sulu?
Career Officer
# 7
11-10-2013, 02:46 AM
OMG... i have been so waiting for this to happen!

...so if we see things like this

http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/b...2-12-41-29.jpg

you want us to say something?
Captain
# 8
11-10-2013, 04:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by zerobang View Post
OMG... i have been so waiting for this to happen!

...so if we see things like this

http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/b...2-12-41-29.jpg

you want us to say something?
Ooh, that's actually pretty cool. Can we get that as an alternative bridge skin? Looks like the Federation decided to assimilate the Borg instead.
Captain
# 9
11-10-2013, 08:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by starkaos View Post
Basically, the updated LCARS graphics in Season 8 will cause graphical problems that used the old blue LCARS and Tacofangs needs help to locate every instance of it since it is slow and painful work for just him to do.

The Simpsons vibe is from the That's Good and That's Bad comments.
So there shouldn't be any more blue LCARS? They're all over the place! Every computer panel in the game has them. This is a priority?
This all happened... more, or less.
Career Officer
# 10
11-10-2013, 08:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by capnkirk4 View Post
So there shouldn't be any more blue LCARS? They're all over the place! Every computer panel in the game has them. This is a priority?
For the most part, as tacofangs noticed, it's just a straight texture swap, and most console panels will update automatically.

But some of them will look ugly, and will need to be fixed manually.

And in some cases, blue LCARS will sneak through. I'm not sure how simple that will be to fix.

And tacofangs said he'll be doing the fixes slowly, on his own time. So what's the big deal?

As for what I've noticed on Tribble...

Ship Interiors
  • Virtually the entire shuttle interior still has blue LCARS (see here and here).
  • Ship interior Sickbay has multiple small and large instances of blue LCARS, including the round console seen all over the game (see here and here).

Earth Spacedock
  • Many, many wall displays on ESD still have blue LCARS. Notably, the ridiculous, 50-foot displays at the Exchange, and the large displays in the shipyard (exterior, before you take the turbolift) (see here, here, here, and here).
  • There's one particular recurring console that has blue LCARS. It's a crescent-shaped console with a square display on one side of it. Examples of it can be found in the ESD centre room, around the holodisplay (see here).

All of these examples can be found at SB39 and K7 as well.

Last edited by jeffel82; 11-10-2013 at 09:38 AM.