Captain
# 11
11-10-2013, 11:07 PM
You killed it, you keep it.
Survivor of Romulus
# 12
11-11-2013, 10:52 AM
I hope your fleet is not KDF'S FIRST FLEET

becouse i wa sthe leader who let the fleet go in active and i let a leader in charge after i left and his tag was kazz or something like that
Lt. Commander
# 13
11-11-2013, 11:00 AM
I am just amazed at all the bittersauce flowing in here. Many here are basically cheering on what could have been the hijacking of a fleet without any of the details. There are so many unanswered questions and incomplete information and yet people are still saying how the op did the right thing and advocating the kicking and killing of the former fleet lead.

We still don't know how active the fleet was when the op was invited. If the fleet was dead when he joined and he continued to put into a dead fleet knowing it was dead can the fleet and its leader be blamed for this. Honestly it still sounds to me like somebody who decided to hijack another fleet because they thought they were entitled.
Captain
# 14
11-11-2013, 11:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulyman View Post

We still don't know how active the fleet was when the op was invited. If the fleet was dead when he joined and he continued to put into a dead fleet knowing it was dead can the fleet and its leader be blamed for this. Honestly it still sounds to me like somebody who decided to hijack another fleet because they thought they were entitled.
I don't see what the problem is here. If a fleet is dead then it's up for grabs as far as I'm concerned.

I still think he did the right thing.
Super Moderator
# 15
11-11-2013, 11:48 AM
I'm not cheering on any fleet takeovers... but this does not sound like it qualifies for that description.

Regardless of the reasons why the original fleet leader went inactive, he did. He did not apparently take any of the steps a fleet leader should take to insure the continuation of the fleet in his absence. He did, however, use his alts to attempt to consolidate his power over the fleet. That says a lot about his attitude toward the other members of his fleet.

The OP saw that the fleet was stalled and used the tools Cryptic gave him that a lot of fleets asked for to keep it functioning.

It sounds to me that the original leader had opportunities to object to what was going on and it sounds to me that the OP would have chosen to honor that, if it had come up earlier. The original leader could have reversed it himself, even, by stopping the demotion process.

Now? I'm not sure I could bring myself to give leadership back to the other guy if it had been me.

Maybe we're not hearing the whole story. But the fact that the OP is here posting about it and looking for input leads me to believe that this is not about power-tripping. It's about protecting his personal investment in the fleet.
Volunteer Community Moderator for the Star Trek Online forums -- My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment. If you wish to speak to someone on the community team, file a "forums and website" support ticket here, as we are not able to respond to PMs regarding moderation inquiries.
Link: How to PM - Twitter @STOMod_Bluegeek
Super Moderator
# 16
11-11-2013, 12:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulyman View Post
The only way I would say what you did was acceptable would be to have made attempts to contact him outside game to see what was going on. Then if that did not work take the issue to the next most senior officer of the fleet, if this was you fine. Then the issue should have been put to the membership as to what to do. If you gave the guy notice and he either refused communication or said he did not care, then fine. If the remaining fleet leadership wished to act, fine. If the fleet membership as a whole was unhappy, then fine. One person taking it upon themselves to hijack a fleet because the leader and the fleet as a whole is not active enough for your taste is not fine. If you don't like a meal served at a restaurant you find another restaurant. You do not rob the restaurant.
Contact him outside the game?

Easier said than done. Unless you know something I don't, there's no way to get somebody's attention outside of the game unless they've provided a means of doing that.

I might agree that the OP could've tried contacting the other active players first. But that only works if you know and trust them. Otherwise you're just waving a big banner that says "Fleet Leader's Up For Grabs!" and then you don't know what you're going to get for a result.

A more responsible approach would be to actually go ahead and assume Leadership and THEN put it to a vote/discussion with the active members before going through with the demotions.
Volunteer Community Moderator for the Star Trek Online forums -- My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment. If you wish to speak to someone on the community team, file a "forums and website" support ticket here, as we are not able to respond to PMs regarding moderation inquiries.
Link: How to PM - Twitter @STOMod_Bluegeek
Career Officer
# 17
11-11-2013, 12:10 PM
OP, I think you did the right thing.

This was not a hijacking... it was a rescue.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------Star Trek Online, Now with out the Trek....