Commander
# 31
11-11-2013, 12:57 PM
I think the whole thing of having most of the starship "captains" be technically Vice Admirals is ridiculous, but it's such an obvious and long-standing thing that it would be a big thing and cause a lot of grumbling to change it completely now, and it's not really serious enough to be worth it.

What I think would be nearly as good, and much easier, would be if they made it so that NPCs addressed you by the rank your pips indicated, which you can set manually to anything at or below your technical game rank. That's the thing that really makes it so daft, to me - a Commodore or something ordering you around at the same time as calling you "Vice Admiral". (Or, even sillier, barking out "Rear Admiral, Upper Half" in full in the middle of an emergency!) This way, those who like swanning around in Admiral's pips and don't mind the occasional non-sequitur could have that, those who know it's all about the Captains could have that, but nobody would be able to choose a rank they hadn't already a right to.

As for a Captain being in charge of DS flipping 9, though, I agree, that's a whole other kettle of fish. Might be a mission story in that... investigate just what strings Captain Straslund is pulling to get that job!
Captain
# 32
11-11-2013, 01:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by starswordc View Post
The way I read it, Sisko commands the station but he reports to an admiral managing Starfleet's regional operations (e.g. Nechayev).
I could understand a commander/captain being incharge of it until the worm hole then the Dominion on the other side of it. I equate that station these days to any Starbase.
Captain Marrik Steele, USS Nike(Avenger)
Captain Lunamaria Hawke, IKS Eclipse(Varanus)
Commander Altair RRW Anduril(Ak'rif Warbird)
Starfleet Veteran
# 33
11-11-2013, 01:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanis281 View Post
Please... we're all ship captains. This Admiral rank thing is silly. [...]
Yes, it is. Eventually, the devs will realize this and do something. But we need to remind them from time to time, I guess.
Career Officer
# 34
11-11-2013, 01:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanis281 View Post
Maybe allow customization in how NPCs address the player, so we can chose to make them call us "Captain?"
I like this idea as it's very inconsistent in game. We're sometimes referred to as Admiral, other times Captain etc.
Career Officer
# 35
11-11-2013, 02:34 PM
if they could tie titles into the game better i would stick with captain and then in missions i would be acknowledged as such.

i think the biggest problem is that yes lvl wise your a vice admiral but why cant we choose what people call us is the problem (one of my characters has captain pips and i Rp him as such but i hate when it reads "good day Vice admiral")
Career Officer
# 36
11-11-2013, 02:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickcastleton View Post
if they could tie titles into the game better i would stick with captain and then in missions i would be acknowledged as such.

i think the biggest problem is that yes lvl wise your a vice admiral but why cant we choose what people call us is the problem (one of my characters has captain pips and i Rp him as such but i hate when it reads "good day Vice admiral")
This is only a mild one to me. (Though when they call you rear admiral, lower half I cringe.) Even though properly the form of address should be just Admiral.
I can see they have had setup for promoting your officers to captain for a while. But when I try it just says I am not allowed.
Career Officer
# 37
11-11-2013, 03:25 PM
guess you never watched Star Trek: The Motion Picture (I wouldn't blame you if you didn't) or Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan, both times Kirk took command of the Enterprise and he was an Admiral, hell in the third one he stole the Enterprise... then blew it up, at least the Klingons did get to hold the Enterprise for a few minutes.

STO Open Beta member since 2010.
Captain
# 38
11-11-2013, 03:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sophlogimo View Post
Yes, it is. Eventually, the devs will realize this and do something. But we need to remind them from time to time, I guess.
They will do something by making Admiral mean something. They also might introduce Rank Selection so npcs would address you as Master Chef.
Lieutenant
# 39
11-11-2013, 03:47 PM
Eh, I've always looked at it that we're the 5% of flag officers who actually do something, unlike the other 95% who sit back and wait for the Enterprise or whoever to save the day...and then yell at them for it.
Captain
# 40
11-11-2013, 04:05 PM
How about this set

Level 1- 9 Ensign
10 - 19 Lt Junior Grade
20 - 29 Lt
30 - 39 Lt Commander
40 - 49 Commander
50 Captain

This would at least keep the rank structure in game in line with what was seen in the Shows.

ORDEROFPERSISTANCE CHATCHANNEL Album of my Crash sigs. Free use to any who want them!
http://s179.photobucket.com/user/fis...line/s8%20sigs