Originally Posted by Djin View Post
3 years...
thought it was more like 5 years
Lt. Commander
# 102
08-13-2008, 04:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haroludo View Post
What we as a community have to keep in mind is that this game is targeted to a wide variety of ages and walks of life.

Cryptic is tasked with creating a game world that is casual enough for the beginner, and yet be able to satiate the most die-hard of Trek fans.

We are going to get "newbs", both to Star Trek, and/or to computers in general. We must coddle, like in the early days of the internet, the new users and welcome them with open arms; not scorn them for their curiosity and questions.

The first question a co-worker of mine asked when I informed him of the new game was: "Is this a single player game?" I told him that is an MMO, like WoW. He was turned off by that. I am hoping that in the coming months(or even years) I will be able to turn his thinking around.

We must not allow cynicism to ruin this game before it even launches. We are the wild tangent that Cryptic is relying on to make their game enjoyable. We are to make their game, our game.

Thank you for reading.
OMG take it down some, you got years to wait to play the game or someone else to buy it and start over again!
Lt. Commander
# 103
08-13-2008, 05:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Social1 View Post
thought it was more like 5 years
The webcast said it was less than 3 years though i'm sure Mr. Emmert only said that so that people would be satisfied with a time frame. He repeated over and over again during the webcast that he could not give a specific time as to when the game was going to be released and that it was sooner than we all thought.
Lt. Commander
# 104
08-13-2008, 08:31 PM
Very nice FAQ. I can honestly say I can't disagree with any of it...not that I'm looking to. Just means I'm VERY happy with what I'm reading as to the development of STO so far.

Highlights: I like the fact we'll be a captain but have skills in other areas of profession of Starfleet. I also liked the fact that space will be immense and that we'll have "fast-travel" options to meet up with our "Fleet" for some Star Trek missions, ship combat vs various hostile alien races, away missions, etc.

Thanks for sharing Cryptic!
Lt. Commander
# 105
08-13-2008, 08:37 PM
All I have to say is wow. I am so glad this game wasn't killed off and I am really looking forward to it now.
Lt. Commander
# 106
08-13-2008, 09:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MajorD View Post
Concerning the question, "Will there be an economy?", I would like to say that the answer is incorrect, it is Earth humans who do not have money. On the other hand the individual groups within the Federation do have money, including Starfleet. There are several instances, but a particular one is where Captain Janeway says, she went on vacation to Vulcan and she was overcharged, when a Vulcan merchant found out she was Starfleet.

Barter is a horribly inefficient means of trade and I hope it doesn't factor in except on a personal level, not as the basis of the economy.
I really think a more vibrant economy than simple bartering needs to be in place if STO is going to capture a majority of the EvE market. Starfleet officers certainly have access to GPL (gold pressed latinum) since they wouldn't be able to patronize Quark's bar without it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomkan View Post
I smell something. Consoles ARE COMING.

If the STO would be optimized for console, I won't play it. I'm sure it would dumbed down the game for us PC players.
I will certainly play the game, however the question is how long will I play. Depth has been a problem for Cryptic games in the past and designing a game for a console platform puts artificial limitations on design options. I would like to see this game realize the full potential of the Star Trek IP, but if it falls short, the game will have limited to no longevity.
Lt. Commander
# 107
08-13-2008, 10:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by arakkis View Post
I will certainly play the game, however the question is how long will I play. Depth has been a problem for Cryptic games in the past and designing a game for a console platform puts artificial limitations on design options. I would like to see this game realize the full potential of the Star Trek IP, but if it falls short, the game will have limited to no longevity.
The 360 and (I believe) PS3 both have USB ports that can be utilized. I'm sure they'll be taking that into account when they look at console optimization. With a USB mouse and keyboard hooked up the only limitation is the hardware itself, which is in the higher end of the current PC spectrum - so I doubt it will effect PC gamers much, if at all.
Lt. Commander
# 108 Hopefull release
08-13-2008, 10:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPJappic View Post
The webcast said it was less than 3 years though i'm sure Mr. Emmert only said that so that people would be satisfied with a time frame. He repeated over and over again during the webcast that he could not give a specific time as to when the game was going to be released and that it was sooner than we all thought.
I visited this site several months ago, more that a year ago I think. The site only had a page or two. Some where in that version on the web site said the game would be released in 2009. Of coarse that could have DRASTICLY changed by now

My friend thinks they will release the game around the time the new Star Trek movie comes out in may of 2009. It would be good publicity.

On another note, if they do wait 3 to 4 years, I fear they will not be competative enough considering the current graphics in the trailor.
Lt. Commander
# 109
08-13-2008, 11:40 PM
There is so much potential to this game it could be overwhelming for ya guys to deliver...

I have so many questions and suggestions I could go insane! Hah... hopefully I'll have a chance to rattle off a few ideas that would be amazing to incorporate into the game (at least I would think so). One I do want to mention now merely because there was something regarding it in the FAQ: Travel time. 30+ years and we can't perfect Quantum Slip Stream Drive? C'mon

Yeah, Voyager is fresh in my head because it's been on TV a lot lately...

I wonder if Species 8472 will show themselves again, too...

Ahh, gitty...

*edit* I imagine Cryptic will have to design some new ship models too... Sovereign class is going to be out-dated.
Lt. Commander
# 110
08-14-2008, 01:00 AM
It's nice to see the devs go out on a limb and shoot down any potential discussions about PvP servers before they even start, the constant discussions they had (and they're probably still having them) on the stargate worlds forums made me pay less attention to the game as a whole.