Career Officer
# 21
11-13-2013, 12:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by psycoticvulcan View Post
A vast improvement over the original. Flores was a bit annoying at times, and I'm not sure that Vesta advertisement was necessary, but I loved the missions nonetheless. Great job, Cryptic!
I did however like how she segued to the Miranda after ogling over the vesta, "aaaand then there's our ship."
Career Officer
# 22
11-13-2013, 12:06 AM
And yes, pretty please with sugar on top, put the new corridors in as well (with new quarters, lounge, etc.), and the shuttle bay. Also while I'm requesting things, a briefing room would be nice as well.
Career Officer
# 23
11-13-2013, 12:06 AM
Just wanted to drop in to tell you guys how much I love the new tutorial. Very well done. Anyone who hasn't done so, should consider creating an alt to play it - it really feels like an entire new featured episode!

The introduction of both, the Klingon War and the Borg threat is well done. Personally, I also loved Flores - she has a lot more personality than most NPCs, and I like her little quirks. I was also extremely impressed with the way you handled our characters field promotion. It feels a lot more realistic now, thanks to an exellent mission flow. I'm not thrown into the captain's chair, anyome - I earn my right to sit in there and get a cool crew, to go along with it.

I kinda wish, you guys would use the new tutorial as a basis for future missions. Maybe a featured episode about Vega colony? The situation there is very intriguing, but we never really explore the planet, or the Borg trapped there (story-wise, at least). You could also retell the whole time travel bookend loop thingy, which was present in the original tutorial and STFs.

My only dissapointment is, that a lot of the old story content is not even remotely close to this level of polish and exitment. Heck, even the original tutorial was a better story than most of the early Klingon Front missions. Maybe could take some time one day and revisit those plans to remaster the original storyline. It could use some love.

Anyway, thanks to the enitre team! You outdid yourself.

"Sometimes you have to do things that you hate, so you can survive to fight another day."
Ensign
# 24
11-13-2013, 12:13 AM
I enjoyed the new tutorial immensely. Very entertaining. I'm kinda wishing future missions are done in this style...
Ensign
this new Fed-tutorial is way better then the old one , the story is the same (in its base) , but more interesting and I already like Elisa (far better then Romulans Tovan ,xD) ...
all in all , a great new tutorial , but for me , a bit to short ... maybe a bit more focus on the Klingon-captain , not just the little fight you have with him (this new plot with the Klink-captain could be a 2 or 3 episode arc , in my opinion) ...

and , dunno if I should say this (dont blame me now , xD) ...
am I the only one who sees a little similitude between the new tutorial and the 1st JJ-Star Trek-movie ?
Starfleet Academy-cadets with no experience thrown right into action and player taking control of command (like Kirk) ... or is it just me?

cya
Survivor of Romulus
# 26
11-13-2013, 02:19 AM
I could never finish the Vega section of the tutorial on Tribble because it was bugged. Finally got to play through the whole thing with the voice overs in and it was fantastic. Taggart was a likeable character and I felt bad when he met his fate. I also loved the Borg attack on the Vega colony, it was great trying to warn them while the other ships getting the transports out and tagging colonists. I only wish the rest of the Federation storyline was as good as this .
http://stosignatures.ufplanets.com/Terrell-STO.png

Looking for a dedicated Star Trek community? Visit www.ufplanets.com for details.
Captain
# 27
11-13-2013, 03:35 AM
I started a new character to try out the new tutorial, and I was really impressed! Hopefully the rest of the early Klingon War missions for the Feds can be remastered to a similar quality level in the near future.

Also, was it just co-incidence that the Captain of the training ship had the same name as the Captain from Galaxy Quest, or was that a little reference from the devs?

This character is why I don't play my Romulan any more. Tovan Khev is NOT my BFF! Get him off my bridge!
Career Officer
# 28
11-13-2013, 05:26 AM
I just finished running an alt through the new tutorial. . Sadly I wrote that alt for a specific crew. I now will roll another one just to keep Flores and company around.
Loved the class specific options as well as the pure emotion put into all the characters.
This makes all three tutorials have the great feel for their beginnings.

Junior officer Klingon assuming command during war.
Farmer turned to desperate freedom fighter.
Academy student earns their place on the bridge.

Brilliant!

(And both Eliza and K'mek are dismissible unlike Tovan. )
Captain
# 29
11-13-2013, 06:34 AM
I too did the new tutorial, and it was well done indeed. Hats off to the writers.
Captain Marrik Steele, USS Nike(Avenger)
Captain Lunamaria Hawke, IKS Eclipse(Varanus)
Commander Altair RRW Anduril(Ak'rif Warbird)
Lt. Commander
# 30
11-13-2013, 08:06 AM
The tutorial was just amazing. I wish all episodes were done like this. It doesn't break immersion, the experience is near seamless and it doesn't make you feel like you can just skip it all as fast as possible.

After the fact, I feel empty though.. going back to the old episodes.

The voice acting and everything was just great, flow, presentation - all good.

Learn from this Dev-team and maybe you could start reworking all old episodes in a episodic manner you see in the series and the new tutorial.

We don't need to shoot everything to keep us entertained. Just some attachment to your bridge crew and ship, as if it really matters what name it bares. Full of Easter-eggs and references to the show is just awesome.
Lan - FED - Engineer - Android/Alien [Maddox-type, Soong template] - Guardian Cruiser

[Data has formally refused to submit to Maddox]
Lt. Commander Data: And Commander, continue your work. When you are ready, I will still be here. I find some of what you propose... intriguing.