Commander
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 389
# 41
11-14-2013, 05:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by peetapipmac View Post
Actually I think he has priorities in better order then most of the people in this thread.
yah i know...but it's just, if he is serious i mean how does somebody think like that? yay i got the job interview...but wait, why did STO flag me as afk?! i *had* a job interview!!!

I mean if i got that job interview, or a new baby, or i made whoopie with the GF my first though when going back to the PC isnt going to be "wtf why did i get afk flagged". But maybe thats just me...
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 532
# 42
11-14-2013, 05:50 PM
I love how noone noticed my DS9 reference. Brownie points for whoever spots it. Brownie points AND kudos to whoever tells me what episode it came from.
Starfleet Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 251
# 43
11-14-2013, 05:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by daqhegh View Post
That does seem like a better alternative. Two hours for living in reality is a bit harsh. And it needs quite a bit of fine tuning. I really don't disagree with the existance of the penalty. It's just a bit too black and white as it is now. I get that there's no way an automated system can consider circumstance. However, something like a ton of DPS or consistant for participation for more than half of the instance should invalidate the penalty. That at least would account for life getting in the way.
well its simple you should had left the instance and only gotten a 1 hour penalty
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 532
# 44
11-14-2013, 06:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainmerzan View Post
well its simple you should had left the instance and only gotten a 1 hour penalty
But why should be penalized in the first place? Think about it: the current application of this penalty is designed to imply NOTHING is more is more important than this game. It adds urgency to an exaggerated problem while adding urgency to an absolute. My options are both bad. Either I stay in in the hope that I make it back in time to finish, and get a 2 hour penalty if I don't. Or I can exit immediately and take a 1 hour penalty as a leaver. All of thisbecause breaking the rules is as simple as letting something not related to this game take priority over it. That doesn't seem fair to me. I WAS playing, and my goal was to win. AFK, in my mind, is someone doing NOTHING. The system, as it is now, is biased and intolerant of this thing called LIFE.
Rihannsu
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 4,004
# 45
11-14-2013, 06:06 PM
you may as well come out and say it you got a job call and you got a 2 hour pen for taking it and you dont think its fair because that is what i got from all you post hek they may as well not even done anything cause hek i just got a phone call from god who needs a starship so i need to go afk for a hour or so
the age of launcher... is over...!! the time of the ARC has come!!!!!!!!!
One ARC to rule them all, One ARC to find them,
One ARC to bring them all and in the darkness bind them!
actual joining date = no one cares!!!!
Commander
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 389
# 46
11-14-2013, 06:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by daqhegh View Post
But why should be penalized in the first place? Think about it: the current application of this penalty is designed to imply NOTHING is more is more important than this game. It adds urgency to an exaggerated problem while adding urgency to an absolute. My options are both bad. Either I stay in in the hope that I make it back in time to finish, and get a 2 hour penalty if I don't. Or I can exit immediately and take a 1 hour penalty as a leaver. All of thisbecause breaking the rules is as simple as letting something not related to this game take priority over it. That doesn't seem fair to me. I WAS playing, and my goal was to win. AFK, in my mind, is someone doing NOTHING. The system, as it is now, is biased and intolerant of this thing called LIFE.
And how do they verify that your claim is true? should cryptic call the person that gave you your job interview? should they call the hospital to see if your wife is actually in labor? do they call the mortuary to see if your loved one actually did pass away? or do they just take your word for it?
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 1,176
# 47
11-14-2013, 06:11 PM
To be honest, I don't think it should be applied first time anyway.
It's the habitual afkers that it's meant to deal with, not the occasional one who does it because of unforeseen circumstances. if you do it twice in the one week, then yeah fine, but a one off should be allowed through.
It's not my fault if you feel trolled by my Disco ball... Sorry'boutit.
Rihannsu
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 4,004
# 48
11-14-2013, 06:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stonewbie View Post
or do they just take your word for it?
nothing is true everything is permitted in my book words to live by
the age of launcher... is over...!! the time of the ARC has come!!!!!!!!!
One ARC to rule them all, One ARC to find them,
One ARC to bring them all and in the darkness bind them!
actual joining date = no one cares!!!!
Career Officer
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 3,363
# 49
11-14-2013, 06:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by daqhegh View Post
See what I mean by black and white? Another phrase is absolute thinking. You're fine with it because you are blind to the flaws in the penalty. I have said I don't disagree with it. My issue is how it is being applied. It appears to cater to you and your fellow absolute thinkers, thus leaving no wiggle room for the rest of us with real life responsibilities and obligations. Read the whole post. You'll see it.
What flaws in the system?

You claim to have participated for roughly ten minutes before going AFK, so you legitimately earned the reward you recieved.

Then you bailed and went AFK and legitimately earned the penalty.

Suck it up buttercup you got everything you deserved to get.
C:\Users\Public\Pictures\Sample Pictures\banner11.jpg
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 532
# 50
11-14-2013, 06:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by peetapipmac View Post
To be honest, I don't think it should be applied first time anyway.
It's the habitual afkers that it's meant to deal with, not the occasional one who does it because of unforeseen circumstances. if you do it twice in the one week, then yeah fine, but a one off should be allowed through.
That would be a simple enough solution. BUT...this game is designed for young people who grow up to be loyal blind consumerist sheep. Common sense doesn't seem to factor into the devs decisions. This penalty doesn't effect their bottom line as much as it effects the player base. One would assume they would have considered that prior to instituting such a rigid penalty. My playing time is limited. It would appear I'm not considered a legitimate player if I have other things to do.
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:13 PM.