Captain
# 11
11-16-2013, 09:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by radagast75 View Post
Im sad that you actually accept rowhouse backyard as vast expanse of space.

In space, there os isially great distance betweem star systems, in space it is also rare that starships cruise so close one eachother unless in formation

What harm there is to scale it feel bigger? If traveling still takes same time? Id it be done by scaling our ships smaller compared to sector space (they would still look same to us, only distances between objects seem larger and objects seem larger.

Most funniest thing is starship that is apparently larger than solar system in sector space.

Naturally it would be better to put resources to something more useful to us like more ships to zen store. That sure to make everyone happy.

Also, new content is not needed, old content need to be finished and polished plus bugs fixed. There is also different teams working on different things.
The thing is that lots of things have to be disregarded in terms of gameplay and game resources. If the scale is more realistic, then how do we see our ship when it is next to a Star? IMO, the scale is correct. You can see your ship perfectly fine and you can see the various interstellar phemonena perfectly fine as well. You can even see solar flares on the various stars. Making the stars bigger than ships would reduce the amount of details you can see on your ship or that you can't even see where your ship is. The devs have messed around with the scale quite a bit before they implemented it and this scale is what worked for their needs. All other scales had some problem.

If you really wanted to complain about Sector Space, then you should have been around before Season 3. Sector Space had absolutely nothing to do with actual space and was too bright and colorful. The simple fact is that most people have only one problem with sector space and that is seamless sector space. You won't find much support for just making sector space bigger since it is already big enough. If they added interesting interstellar phenomena and needed more space, then most of us could understand increasing the size of the maps.

If this helps any, you are not seeing sector space, you are seeing an astrometrics projection that your ship computer is generating to navigate through sector space. Therefore, since it is just a projection, the scale of ships and stars have no real meaning. In Star Trek, they never made their ships in actual scale or they would never be able to see their ship.

You fail to understand the average MMO player. They are ravenous for new and exciting content. On average, most players play revamped missions a couple of times. They only way they actually do old content is events like the Featured Episode Rerun event where they get 15 Lobi per day. No real reward for doing such content and people will find something better to do. Even then, lots of people are running Spin the Wheel daily for it since it is the shortest Featured Episode. Which means that they are just doing it for the reward and get back to PvP, STFs, Dyson Sphere, or whatever their main interest is.
Commander
# 12
11-16-2013, 09:26 AM
My opinion is to greatly increase the size of sector space, making it seamless but NOT increase the speed of the ship...

I find it horrible that, when equipped right I can traverse the whole Map (including visiting each sector) in less than half an hour...
And this is getting even MORE ridiciulous with the addition of Transwarp... I mean really? You can't even fly the 2 Minutes and can only bear to look at a 20 second animation?

But I guess it won't fly with the "I want my reward and I want it NOW!" crowd...
Selor Andaram Ephelion Kiith
Captain
# 13
11-16-2013, 09:35 AM
If you want to make sector space seems larger, without affecting speed, then all you have to do is shrink the ship models but keep their speed the same.
Commander
# 14
11-16-2013, 09:54 AM
I would be very happy to just get that seamless sector space and i was here before season 3, rambling about too small a space and sp pm

But..

What about this?

Every player is given slider to video options called "Ship size" which would only scale all player ship for that player to size they want and also adjust camera distance so that it would seem that only sector space is getting larger.

For the speed.. The way i see it, it cannot be reduced. Travel times has to remain the same for hasty ones. For this we could also have #speed scale" slider which would affect the speed of ship so that warp 10 is still indicated at wqarp 10 but in lowest setting it would be warp 1 representyed as warp 10. This option would only be available in character screen and would not affect Slipstream and other faster than warp 10 propulsions.

I am always been in love with vast distances and slow traveling. This is why i still use horse or running in WOW as well
Captain Hunt, at your service!
Captain
# 15
11-16-2013, 10:14 AM
Quote:
I would be very happy to just get that seamless sector space and i was here before season 3, rambling about too small a space and sp pm

But..

What about this?

Every player is given slider to video options called "Ship size" which would only scale all player ship for that player to size they want and also adjust camera distance so that it would seem that only sector space is getting larger.

For the speed.. The way i see it, it cannot be reduced. Travel times has to remain the same for hasty ones. For this we could also have #speed scale" slider which would affect the speed of ship so that warp 10 is still indicated at wqarp 10 but in lowest setting it would be warp 1 representyed as warp 10. This option would only be available in character screen and would not affect Slipstream and other faster than warp 10 propulsions.

I am always been in love with vast distances and slow traveling. This is why i still use horse or running in WOW as well
I am always for choice, but this seems like something that is either impossible with STO's engine or would require too much work. Only a dev would be able to confirm how likely this idea is. There would have to be limits for such a system. Can't make sector space so big that it would have your ship vanish or affect the speed scale so you can go Warp 40 with no DI/RP buffs, white engines and warp cores, and 0 in Driver Coil. Warp 10 should be 100% with Warp 1 being 0%.
Lieutenant
# 16
11-16-2013, 11:05 AM
Why does seamless sector space sound appealing?

Answer: Because clicking to warp to new blocks is artificial and tedious.

There are many things in this game, in most games, that are artificial but get accepted to the point of not being noticed. Why does sector space not get the same treatment?

Answer: Because there's nothing else to DO in sector space.

The crux of the problem isn't that sector space is small or chopped up, it's that after you get used to the pretty spectacle, there's nothing left. Hit autopilot and switch to your doff screen. The player is not engaged in the actual travel of his ship. What the game needs is a reason to hold your interest.

My suggestion? Make sector space like the new adventure zone. Put little optional missions and doff assignments here and there. The doff assignments should be a little more profitable than normal, but not so much that they are worth farming. Above all, they should be flavorful and relevant to nearby planets, ships, or other entities.

The missions offered should be small. They need to be LOCAL, SHORT, OPTIONAL, and PROFITABLE.

Local: Everything takes place in sector space. No loading screens, no break from travel. More importantly, the mission should feel like something that could happen in that part of space.
Short: Can be done in less than a minute, but possibly with enough flavor text that it could take longer. The idea isn't to get the player invested in a new adventure, but to give sector space the feel of a continuing story rather than a complete break from the game.
Optional: No popups. Just like the adventure zones, a button that I can choose to click or not. If I'm in a hurry to get to somewhere else, I only get sidetracked if I want to be.
Profitable: At least twice the normal reward for a doff assignment, more if the mission requires commodities or some other investment. You're asking for a minute of my time, so I need an incentive not to ignore you.
Commander
# 17
11-16-2013, 11:08 AM
Propably. It just sounds so simple, scale the ship and/or resrtict your own speed. It really is just a cosmetic change for the player using it while others would not notice anything but the choices theyt made.

Shrinking ship is easy, or should be. Resricting speed would be same as well, no ui changes needed anywhere.

The way i see it, this would simply be similar to scaling UI to your liking.

Prolly hardest thing to do is adjusting camera so that ship appears the same size as before, making an illusion that sector space go bigger instead just you and other ships visually srhink to your liking.

Besides everyoone should move slower, dont you know fast warp speeds damage subspace ^^
Captain Hunt, at your service!
Captain
# 18
11-17-2013, 12:40 AM
Quote:
Besides everyoone should move slower, dont you know fast warp speeds damage subspace ^^
Star Trek is never consistent. They say they will limit their speed to Warp 5, then the next episode has them going at Warp 9. Although, if I recall correctly, that speed limit just dealt with a specific area of space due to spatial rifts forming due to that area having weak subspace.
Captain
# 19
11-17-2013, 12:43 AM
Sector space ... who needs it. Transwarp ... via mission replays. Insta-travel to anywhere that matters for practically nothing.

No need to thank me.
Commander
# 20
11-17-2013, 01:49 AM
Quote:
This is otherwise nice but it would remove areas where other players are as well even more. If this would be done, the only places basically would be Spacedocks and some adventuring areas.
I don't see a problem with this. Stations and adventure areas should be the only 'social' areas. Sector space is poorly designed so bad that it should just be removed. "But, Sector Space is a social area" doesn't justify keeping it around. I like how the Zaria system has Earth as a placeholder. It's like the devs don't even want to put the effort into Sector Space. Just get rid of it.
VA Makbure
The 47th Defense Division Special Ops