Captain
So ever since I started playing STO, I ran into the conundrum that engineers were pretty much the red headed stepchild of the space game. Then came the fleet avenger. Tonight I stumbled onto something while testing a theory, and came up with a build I have no plans to change anytime soon.

So we all know about A2B and its utility on beamboats to do massive damage, etc. What if I told you I found a viable DPS/Tank beamboat build that requires you NOT to use A2B?

This ship has parsed a 13k Infected Elite run while being the main tank taking all of the aggro, and did not die while parked between the gate and cube. I have not tested its full potential as yet, it could do even more.

Engineering Captain (Joined Trill is mine)
Traits: Accurate/Astrophysicy/EPS/Elusive/Techie/WarpTheorist/Grace (for the last slot I plan to add helmsman when I have the money)
Ship: Fleet Avenger
Power Presets: Custom 100/25/25/50
Skills: (Will post link when I make it on STO academy, its essentially the same as DNT Omega X in my sig with a couple points moved around on the subsystems to maximize power and full threat)
Doffs: 2x purple conn tac team, 1x purple warp core engineer (EptX bonus power), 1x purple DCE (EPtX recharge), fifth slot unused (havent decided between marion which I dont think it needs, or an attack pattern doff)
Boffs: 2x SRO Tactical Roms, 3x Humans (2 sci 1 engy)

Lt Comm Tac: FAW1/FAW2/APB2
Ens Tac: TT1
Lt Sci: HE1/HE2
Lt Uni(sci): TSS1/TSS2
Comm Eng: EPTW1/RSP1/EPTS3/DEM3

Weapons: 1x KCB, 1x 360AP (put those two weapons in front slots), 6x Fleet AP BA's Accx2Dmgx2 (right now I am using just 2 with 4 of the ones awarded by replays of Sphere)
Deflector/Engine: 2pc Assimilated Borg Mk XII (right now its just vendor mkx purples)
Shield: Elite Fleet Resilient ResB
Core: Obelisk
Devices: Device of choice, Auxiliary Battery, Weapons Battery

Eng Consoles: 3x Fleet Neut +Turn, 1x Assimilated Module
Sci Consoles: 1x VATA, 1x Leech
Tac Consoles: 4x AP 26.2s

The consoles may change as I optimize it, thats just what I am using right as type this.

Rep passives (its a newer toon, so it doesnt even have all of its rep stuff yet): Romulan Precision, Nukara Shield penetration and Aux Offense (this is KEY to this build, ill explain in a moment), Omega weapon training and superior shield repair.

It currently sits with about 10 percent crit, this may increase as I add more rep consoles or whatnot. Havent decided. But now I will explain why you do not need or want A2B with this build.

For starters, every skill is paired except for APB, DEM and RSP (and TT, but thats reduced to global by doffs). You could put on two copies if you wanted though, I just dont see the need for CD redux on them at this time. I would recommend a doff that reduces attack pattern CDs in that empty fifth slot (or sixth when you get it)

The nukara rep tier 4 passive that buffs your weapons and attack patterns draws from your auxiliary pool. The unique feature of the AP obelisk set is that you can achieve a 135 auxiliary power.

Whenever you pop an auxiliary battery (or EPS power transfer, hence the engineering captain), you will receive a massive bonus to your damage output. Maximum points in batteries in the skill tree coupled with EPS transfer = uptime around 50 percent, on top of that if you use EPTx skills and the doffs that grant power boosts 30 percent of the time for +25 to each system, etc... you see where this is going? You will almost always have your weapons power capped, and your aux at over 100. Use nadion inversion and plasmonic leech and possibly DEM/Marion to ensure maximum weapons power at all times.

Notice the sheer number of heals in this build. At the same time youre putting out this monster DPS, youre also tanking like a fiend, or healing your teammates. Icing on the cake for your science heals (four of them), since youre going to be running huge amounts of Aux even with the intention of maximizing your weapons output. You can also run a lower shield power setting because you have the A->S mod in the warp core. The higher your aux is, the bigger the bonus to shield power you get. At max aux its like 10 shield power or something like that. But every time you pop EPTS3, youre going to massively boost your shield pool anyway, etc. Trust me, youre not gonna miss that 25 shield power from using a 100/25/25/50 custom preset.

The only real downsides to the build, if you can really call them that, are that you have to use AP weaponry and that you might need to spend quite a bit of EC/Fleet to really kit it out properly.

The potential here is pretty high otherwise. I am looking for feedback, ideas, criticisms, etc.
Vice Admiral Rylana - U.S.S. DNT Omega X || Vice Admiral Lyzara - I.R.W. DNT Omicron X
Vice Admiral Kailiana - R.R.W. DNT Theta X || Vice Admiral Talina - I.R.W. DNT Tau X
Vice Admiral Victoria - U.S.S. DNT Upsilon X || Lt. General Dannika - I.K.S. DNT Sigma X
Vice Admiral Shondra - R.R.W. DNT Alpha X || Lt. General Rosanna - I.K.S. DNT Iota X
=== Vice Squad/House of Tlhap-Jen ===

Last edited by rylanadionysis; 11-17-2013 at 03:28 AM.
Captain
# 2
11-17-2013, 03:36 AM
I would be running a second DCE doff myself and I might be tempted to reverse the EPtX powers on there given EPtS1 plus maxed elite fleet shield resistance is near enough to the cap that EPtS3 is wasted, all the more so with global TSS.

I would also toy with the idea of trading FAW uptime for APB uptime myself for faster killing of pve targets. I don't know if you have or not but I would maintain 3 points in batteries skill as it allows to maintain 100% uptime on EPS trait.

Looking at the points allocated to power you should be able to shield power at base 15 giving your engines an extra 10 to play with without sacrificing any noticeable shield performance (though speed is kinda my thing at the moment running A2D myself )

I've been using an engineer as a dps cruiser captain for a while now, tweaking and optimising every now and then, this is the current version of that character (complete with power, doffs, etc in the description tab), I hope it's of use to you
Lt. Commander
# 3
11-17-2013, 04:46 AM
Well for all my test in engineer you can do decent Dps without aux2batt. Fleet avenger takes it into a new level. I use 3dce doffs, 3 romulan boffs, 2 PC omega set, zero point, nukara console, Romulus plasma, embassy consoles, I still use mkxi blue tac consoles.so Dps can still be pushed up.

Odyssey science, ave 10 k Dps with max of 12k Dps
Fleet avenger , 12-13k Dps with max 15k Dps.

Of course this is in infected pug without per made support.

The key thing is the using the nandion inversion combined with the 2pc omega proc to replace the Marion. Engineer was really made for power management especially if you got max batteries and got rmc to get +25 power for 1 min along with eps power transfer. If done properly with eps trait, you will have 125 in both the shield and weapons. If you really know how to balance your power, perms 125 in all systems.

The only difference between odyssey and avengers tanking and Dps capabilities with fleet avenger dealing more Dps, and odyssey tanking better than fleet avenger.
Captain
# 4
11-17-2013, 08:23 AM
http://skillplanner.stoacademy.com/?...ankeravenger_0
Rsp doff, 2 damage control doffs, 1 warp core doff, 1 ap:d doff

How I'd run as a tank...delta is so sexy
Chive on and prosper

Anarchy Nexus recruitment thread
Captain
# 5
11-17-2013, 08:27 PM
Was expecting something from ya rylanadionysis
Chive on and prosper

Lt. Commander
# 6
11-17-2013, 08:32 PM
@rylanadionysis

in pve infected, 1 He , 1 TSS is sufficient. The boff slot is better for a tac since eng desperately needs to squeeze every ounce of dps rather than adding more tank capability which eng player ability has already enough of it. Cycling two tac teams is also good in pve since you will be mostly broadsiding in infected. This also adds a little bit of dps.

I also find DEM vs Aux2Sif a personal or a mission preference. DEM + Marion adds around 1k dps but sacrifices heal and resist. Tanking both the gateway, some spheres and tac cube in infected is little bit harder without aux2sif than with. Although without it, it is still possible to do it.

Unless my Subspace modulator and Eng fleet is up, i would not dare challenge a one shot from Donatra if i do not have aux2sif. With Aux2Sif + HE + BFI with the right equips, can survive even the crit of it.

@dahminus

I only find Delta usefull in the hive. If you got more things that dont shoot back like in khitomer, infected, the cure, better to have Beta. Delta is going to drop your dps on those space who do not fire back. Plus the uptime of double Beta is higher than double Delta.

Unless you are not using threat consoles and do not have threat skills, the delta is not needed. I already tried it vs 22k dps. threat consoles and threat skills are sufficient to get aggro from a 22k dps vs your 13k dps.
Captain
# 7
11-17-2013, 09:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dahminus View Post
Was expecting something from ya rylanadionysis
Your voth build trolling will get no hook in me >=/

My response I held back was "but where the hell are you gonna get damage output from without some kind of offensive attack patterns"
Vice Admiral Rylana - U.S.S. DNT Omega X || Vice Admiral Lyzara - I.R.W. DNT Omicron X
Vice Admiral Kailiana - R.R.W. DNT Theta X || Vice Admiral Talina - I.R.W. DNT Tau X
Vice Admiral Victoria - U.S.S. DNT Upsilon X || Lt. General Dannika - I.K.S. DNT Sigma X
Vice Admiral Shondra - R.R.W. DNT Alpha X || Lt. General Rosanna - I.K.S. DNT Iota X
Captain
# 8
11-17-2013, 10:12 PM
Voth build trolling?

If you always have threat then delta will provide resistance and enemy -resistance...plus it builds more threat
Chive on and prosper

Captain
# 9
11-17-2013, 10:16 PM
That's a creative approach, thanks for sharing.

RSP3 has a shorter cooldown than lesser versions. If you could slot that in the Cmdr station, and maybe find a way to run 2x DEM. I would consolidate HE/TSS into a single pair. You dont need 2x TSS with an RSP, since they serve the same purpose. Also EPtW3 will give you a significant boost in damage. Maybe something like

Lt Comm Tac: FAW1/FAW2/APB2
Ens Tac: TT1
Lt Sci: HE1/HE2
Comm Eng: EPTS1/DEM1/EPTW3/RSP3
Lt Uni(sci): ET1/DEM1

Aux boosting is the key to your build, right?

Last edited by ursusmorologus; 11-17-2013 at 10:21 PM.
Captain
# 10
11-17-2013, 10:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dahminus View Post
Voth build trolling?

If you always have threat then delta will provide resistance and enemy -resistance...plus it builds more threat
Yeah but its already tanky as hell it didnt really need more. I thought you were taking the piss by going full on tank turtle. My bad.

Its fully specced for threat in skills, and usually holds with no problem, unless somone else there is also specced to hold aggro.