Captain
# 41
11-17-2013, 04:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by puttenham View Post
as far as the story line being hidden in the dysons sphere, well that is ballocks.. honestly, the story line should never be hidden, buried, or take to much work to play out.. the games story line should be honestly accessable by all types of players. (even dads and moms who only have an hour here or there to play)..
Finally! A legitimate complaint about S8 and not more nerdrage over tastes not being catered to.

Yes, game story should always be front and center if it's going to be there. But leaving the story in the background has been a Cryptic problem since Champions Online and doesn't seem to be ending any time soon.
# 42
11-17-2013, 09:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by twg042370 View Post
Finally! A legitimate complaint about S8 and not more nerdrage over tastes not being catered to.

Yes, game story should always be front and center if it's going to be there. But leaving the story in the background has been a Cryptic problem since Champions Online and doesn't seem to be ending any time soon.
That's an obvious complaint. Should devs like Geko really get a free pass for bad writing simply because you feel it's not something we should brush on?
May good management be with you.
Republic Veteran
# 43
11-17-2013, 09:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by elemberq333 View Post
The main complaint I have with it all is the fact that if Starfleet were to be involved in the Sphere they would be actively seeking to find out why the Voth are collecting Omega Particles and there is no way in hell they would be just blindly following the orders of some Romulan dude at a desk telling them to go to the BZ and kill any Voth they see.

There is a HUGE gap in the story between where the Feature episode with Worf left off and the Sphere content begins. If this was a novel and any writer had submitted this as the 2nd book in the series I am certain that their editor would be calling them and asking if they were still working on the "in between" stuff. And if that author said, no that's that story as it stands the editor, if they had any credibility what so ever, would then explain to the author that this is simply NOT GOOD FICTION and there is a HUGE gap in the story that needs to be filled or we can NOT publish.

The other complaint I have is that there is no challenge in any of the new content and this is a trend in the MMO industry now days and for that matter games in general. Where developers have become afraid to put any real challenge into their games because they might discourage someone from playing it. That is the worst mistake they made with Season 8, it is way to freakin' easy, period.
Starfleet is on 24/7 orders to act like pirates when it comes to Omega, though it would certainly be nice to ask the Voth wtf they're doing yes.

This is the only criticism I personally have. There's just this massive gap between the stories and no explanation whatsoever.

I like easy games. If this game was hard, I wouldn't play it. So I guess the kind of people Cryptic are afraid are putting off are people like me. I don't give one damn about challenge. If I want challenge, I go play a dedicated PvP game, like Battlefield or Planetside. AI is never up to snuff next to a human being and just adding more damage and HP to something is tedious at best.
____
STO community Doom-O-Meter: |||||||||

Last edited by commanderkassy; 11-17-2013 at 09:30 AM.
Captain
# 44
11-17-2013, 10:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by commanderkassy View Post
Starfleet is on 24/7 orders to act like pirates when it comes to Omega, though it would certainly be nice to ask the Voth wtf they're doing yes.

This is the only criticism I personally have. There's just this massive gap between the stories and no explanation whatsoever.

I like easy games. If this game was hard, I wouldn't play it. So I guess the kind of people Cryptic are afraid are putting off are people like me. I don't give one damn about challenge. If I want challenge, I go play a dedicated PvP game, like Battlefield or Planetside. AI is never up to snuff next to a human being and just adding more damage and HP to something is tedious at best.
I'm glad you looked at this aspect at least. To many of us who have seen this happening, it only appears that geko wants things to look great and hope everybody is too busy to button mash to notice that there is little to no great theme at all in these releases. At least LoR had a story board played out over episodes which made the rep story something to look forward to.

Season 8 is more like: "Omega particles wha??" "Um.. why are the voth violent.. pretty sure they're anti-violence." "Uh.. Dinos with laser heads? Uh really?" It's just one thing after the other.
May good management be with you.
Rihannsu
# 45
11-17-2013, 12:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by twg042370 View Post

Well, I have to say that the arduous task of finding bits and pieces of back story by searching the battlezones is actually quite fun. But it would be nice to have a better story explanation of how the conflict with the Voth got started.

Quote:
Originally Posted by commanderkassy View Post

Well.... we can ask the Voth what they're doing all day long, but we'll never find out anything unless they feel like answering.... And given the superiority complex they had in the show, I wouldn't expect them to answer.
HAIL HYDRA!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
MMOs aren't charities. Corporations are supposed to make a profit. It's what they do.
Career Officer
# 46
11-17-2013, 12:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by markhawkman View Post
Well.... we can ask the Voth what they're doing all day long, but we'll never find out anything unless they feel like answering.... And given the superiority complex they had in the show, I wouldn't expect them to answer.
Yeah, reading the supplementary info you found knocking around the battlezone, they're disgusted by our very presence there, let alone the fact we're concerned about what they're doing. Cooperation was never on their agenda.