Lt. Commander
# 1 Where does STO install?
01-11-2010, 03:46 PM
This info is gathered from post that follow, for a quick recap:
This info is for downloading the game, if you have the disc and install from there, please skip to the folder portion of this post. If you purchased the game and were playing the beta, just patch up the beta and play the game. You will need to update your profile with the new retail key under the my account link.

Initially you will need to download and run the Star Trek Downloader.
After the Star Trek Downloader hosted here is complete there will be a setup.exe file that will need to be run for game install. This setup file will then run like any other setup install process.

This will then install the game to a default folder:
Win XP
C:\Program Files (x86)\Cryptic Studios\Star Trek Online
Vista/Win 7
\Users\Public\Games\Cryptic Studios\

Concern over not installing in Program Files (PF) on Vista/Win 7 machines. Basically if installed in PF the operating system makes it harder to keep the game up to date with all the patches that MMOs will see, due to a feature within Vista/Win 7. For actual post by coderanger see page 2.

Question was asked about how many charactor slots you have, and what happened to beta toons. From Coderanger on page two, "2 to start, you can unlock 1 extra Klingon slot later. You got 2 extra for purchasing the lifetime or 12 month subscriptions (though I think the offer has ended)." As for charactors that you may have had during the beta, they were wiped prior to release, unless you had your head start toons, all previous ones were erased for release.

Thanks to all that helped calm my nerves.

***Original Post***
Ok, I probably missed something, but I grabbed the installer from the main page and am using the Star Trek Downloader. After hitting the .exe file, it asked for a temporary folder to download the files to, and I'm currently downloading to a folder I don't wish to have a game at. Was just wondering if after the downloader will I then have to run another file, or the folder that was created called "Star Trek ST.0.20100108a.0" run the game out of that?

Using Win 7, so not sure if that makes a difference. FAQ just says,
"Locate the file downloaded in your download directory, and double-click it.
Complete the installation process to start the Star Trek Online launcher.
When the launcher starts, enter your Username and Password, and click Submit.
Patching should begin automatically. The progress bar displays the percentage of patching completed. When the patching completes, click Play to start Star Trek Online"

So I'm kind of assuming the launcher will actually install the game, but this downloader is huge, almost 8 gigs, expected it a little different I guess.

Thanks
Lt. Commander
# 2
01-11-2010, 03:47 PM
For me, the default folder was C:\Program Files (x86)\Cryptic Studios\Star Trek Online in Windows 7 64-bit
Lt. Commander
# 3
01-11-2010, 03:49 PM
Ok, it seems that it will be something different then, currenlty it's in a default folder of my downloads/star trek st.0.20100108a.0, so I'm guessing I'll have to pick a destination folder later. Thank you thefrayl
Lt. Commander
# 4
01-11-2010, 03:50 PM
There will be a setup.exe file when it is finished downloading.
Lt. Commander
# 5
01-11-2010, 03:54 PM
Thanks MattTreck, I'll update my first entry a little bit later once I confirm it too. That way people don't have to scan all the messages to find the answer. Thanks for the input/help.
Lt. Commander
# 6
01-11-2010, 03:54 PM
\Users\Public\Games\Cryptic Studios\
That should be the default install path for Vista/Win7.
Lt. Commander
# 7
01-11-2010, 04:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTreck View Post
There will be a setup.exe file when it is finished downloading.
MattTreck should be right, that how it should be anyways. If Dev got a third party installer.
Lt. Commander
# 8
01-11-2010, 04:05 PM
Just to make it perfectly clear: If you use the Star Trek Downloader hosted here, that will ask you where to save temporary installer files. This is just so that the Downloader has a place to drop these files. The downloader supports stopping and restarting so you'll be fine with that. What you download from Fileplanet (and I'd assume D2D and Gamestop) is the same files that the downloader downloads. Once you have the full thing, just run setup, it'll run just like any other installer. Once it's installed there you can delete the download from the Star Trek Downloader.
Lt. Commander
# 9
01-11-2010, 04:42 PM
The default under XP is Program Files\Cryptic Studios, under Vista/7 it is Users\Public\Games. If you previously had it installed to ProgFiles on Vista/7 and re-run the installer without uninstalling, it will default to the old folder (or rather, any time you reinstall over an existing copy it finds your old install path for you). For the torrent downloader tool, it defaults to whereever the downloader executable itself is, which is probably where you have your browser downloads set to go.
Lt. Commander
Why is Cryptic installing this game in the Users\Public\Games folder on my Win7 system, which doesn't even exist until the installer runs? How is this a proper procedure. If this is an x86 application, it should, as it always has been, installed in the program files directory... in my case \Program Files (x86)...

To maintain my sanity, I force it to install where it should be installed.

The user's folders are for storing user files, not for running applications!

I consider this to be a bug.