Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > The Art of Star Trek Online
Login

Captain
# 31
11-20-2013, 12:21 PM
As much as I think JJ Trek is best Trek ever, Cryptic cant do stuff from his Alternate reality. Its a copyright and legal trouble thing.

This happens when two companies get hold of two pieces of an IP.
Let us wear Swimsuits on Foundry maps or bridges please! I would pay zen for that.
Captain
# 32
11-20-2013, 03:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpalelena View Post
As much as I think JJ Trek is best Trek ever, Cryptic cant do stuff from his Alternate reality. Its a copyright and legal trouble thing.

Otherwise known as SCREW YOU PARAMOUNT!!!!
http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o633/centersolace/189cux9khvl6ojpg_zpsca7ccff0.jpg

So inhumane superweapons, mass murder, and canon nonsense is okay, but speedos are too much for some people.
Captain
# 33
11-20-2013, 11:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpalelena View Post

The posted picture is "just" a fanwork, inspired by the new movies, not a actual part of them.
I think Cryptics devs could easily adapt a similar style for STO, if they wanted to.

Regarding your IP related comment, i fully agree with you. Having the IP split and being property of two different companies is mere nonsense IMHO.
Captain
# 34
11-21-2013, 08:58 AM
All I can say is Freud would have a lot to say about the art department's ship designs . Im with the OP on this one the ships are too phallic.
Play more STO Foundry! (You can thank me later.)

A TIME TO SEARCH: ENTER MY FOUNDRY MISSION at the RISA SYSTEM in the SIRIUS SECTOR
Captain
# 35
11-22-2013, 05:51 PM
There is one thing I definitely agree with, the newest FED designs aren't fluid at all, they're blocky industrial looking vessels.

The Odyssey was fluid, it's one of the nicest FED ships in the game.

Some of the linked said 'JJ Trek versions' also seem nice, but I'm reluctant to call them 'JJ Trek versions' because his Constitution is ugly as hell (and the worst thing on it, nacelles, is also the least pleasant part on those other inspired designs).
TOIVA, Toi Vaxx, Toia Vix: Bring in the Allegiance class
Toi'Va, Ti'vath, Toivia: Design that long overdue Tier 5 C-Store Raptor
Tae'Va, T'Vaya, To'Var: Give us Asylums for Romulans

Don't make ARC mandatory! Keep it optional only!
Captain
# 36
11-23-2013, 10:33 PM
Actually the JJ ships especially in STID are aesthetically challenging. It is a trend in design these days. This car for example: http://www.nissanusa.com/crossovers/...card.vlp.image.
Play more STO Foundry! (You can thank me later.)

A TIME TO SEARCH: ENTER MY FOUNDRY MISSION at the RISA SYSTEM in the SIRIUS SECTOR
Captain
# 37
11-23-2013, 11:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lincolninspace View Post
Actually the JJ ships especially in STID are aesthetically challenging. It is a trend in design these days. This car for example: http://www.nissanusa.com/crossovers/...card.vlp.image.

I think Cryptics designers often overdo their Designs, instead of keeping them simple.

What i wish, to have are more different but basic ship parts.
No fancy Saucers, Pylons, Nacelles or Engineering Hulls, just some simple basic shapes but much more variations for us to use.

For example, they did it right at the the various pylons of the Star Cruiser variants.
Some are facing forward/ backwards, some are upside the ships center, some are lower.
The same with the Heavy crusiers saucers, some round, some streched.
THATS what i wish for all ships. More Variation instead of focussing on little details, no one sees from a distance, i do much more care about the general shape of a ship.
Captain
# 38
11-24-2013, 07:03 AM
This is one of the contest entrys for the new Enterprise (which was won by the Odyssey ) that called my attention.

I think that's a excellent example of how to do it. It preserves the basic elements of a Starfleet ship and gives it really gracious lines.

Apart from the realy fragile looking pylons (which are also too extended IMO) the ship is exactly what i am looking for. Even the nacelles look really cool (which isn't easy done, most of the ships have somehow cheap looking ones) althrough they could be too long (again), but thats not easy to see a this angle.

What i also like about that design is the much stronger looking neck, which always looked too breakable on the original constitution and the refit. But here it is done in such a good way, it blends perfectly into the general shape of the ship.
Starfleet Veteran
# 39
11-24-2013, 07:21 AM
Yeah, love the first design!!!

Just going to leave this here, and leave!

Perhaps Cryptic could contact the author, or maybe be inpsired by it ...
Hopefully I'll come back from my break; this break is fun; I play intellectual games.

I hope STO get's better ...
Starfleet Veteran
# 40
11-24-2013, 07:23 AM
Yeah, some of the design a new enterprise contest runners ups should be included!!!
Hopefully I'll come back from my break; this break is fun; I play intellectual games.

I hope STO get's better ...