Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 1 Reduced file streaming (on/off)
01-12-2010, 12:33 AM
I'm confused. In the client options -> Video, under troubleshooting settings, there is an option called:

'Reduced file streaming: Reduces streaming of data off disk by keeping it loaded into RAM. Turning this off on systems with low amounts of RAM could lead to crashes.'

When it is ON, this means that more data is kept on RAM (ie. better for higher RAM computers)?
When it is OFF, this means that more data is being streamed from HD (ie. better for lower RAM computers)?

or do i have this backwards? Why would it cause crashes on lower RAM computers when this option is turned off?

I'm just thinking it could be backwards or am i missing something?

Cheers,
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 2
01-12-2010, 12:37 AM
i think its the other way around. if you turn it on then its streaming from the hd, and off it keeps it in the ram, that would at least explain the reasoning regarding crashes
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 3
01-12-2010, 12:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KL0k View Post
i think its the other way around. if you turn it on then its streaming from the hd, and off it keeps it in the ram, that would at least explain the reasoning regarding crashes
I agree with you but it also sounds like:

File streaming = streaming files from HDD
Reduced file streaming on = reduces streaming from HDD (more on RAM)
Reduced file streaming off = no reduced streaming from HDD (less on RAM)

So which is it? LOL
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 4
01-12-2010, 12:45 AM
lol, yeah, the tooltip is a bit confusing cause the explanation could have been longer and more detailed about this.
but i really think its

reduced file streming on = kept in ram
and off = more streaming from the hdd
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 5
01-12-2010, 12:52 AM
Devs, can we get an answer on this when you get a chance... It doesn't have to be today, i know your busy but at some point that tooltip could be fixed maybe?
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 6
01-12-2010, 12:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KL0k View Post
lol, yeah, the tooltip is a bit confusing cause the explanation could have been longer and more detailed about this.
but i really think its

reduced file streming on = kept in ram
and off = more streaming from the hdd
So now your contradicting your first post? lol... not trying to be a pain just piecing it together.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 7
01-12-2010, 01:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteppenRazor
Devs, can we get an answer on this when you get a chance... It doesn't have to be today, i know your busy but at some point that tooltip could be fixed maybe?
I would consider this a P3 bug/trouble ticket.

Cheers,
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 8
01-12-2010, 01:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteppenRazor
So now your contradicting your first post? lol... not trying to be a pain just piecing it together.
errr.. lol.. now i mixed it up myself... im getting a headache... lol
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 9
02-01-2012, 05:00 PM
Is there any chance of getting an official answer to this please? I've googled around and this was the closest I got to a solid answer, I'm just as confused by the backwards-sounding nature of the tool tip. I have 8GB of ram so naturally I'm eager to set it to the best possible config for my system.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 10
02-01-2012, 05:25 PM
reduced file streaming is as it states:
ON: keeps most used game files in RAM to reduce load times on systems with systems with enough RAM, ie 4GB or more.
OFF: Disables loading into RAM and only loads the files in need off the disk for systems with low RAM.

I have 4GB on my system but i keep it off.
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:49 AM.