Lt. Commander
# 41
01-12-2010, 02:03 AM
What is your configuration of global max connections, max number of connected peers and number of upload slots in the bittorrent client ? i`ve bittorrent running for about 3 hours now and received 18% ! I installed the newest version ! don`t know, why it`s staying at 80 kb/s ! I have a 25Mbit broadband connection with 1Mbit upload ! Any ideas ? thx
Lt. Commander
# 42 D2D and Download Problems
01-12-2010, 02:06 AM
The D2D download is not doing much better. My girlfriend's download crapped out after six hours and she gave up; my fourth attempt right now is at about 50% with four more hours to go.

This makes me sad; I am willing to cut people a lot of slack because it is, after all, a beta.

But it's an example of why my girlfriend and I are not Champions customers right now. We WANTED to try it during the free weekend; we're City of Heroes players, so we are predisposed to like Champions; but the downloads never completed, for either of us, before the free weekend was over.

Silly.

Well, at this point, Cryptic can't just wave a magic wand and make downloads go faster and more smoothly. So I am going to try and be patient and understanding.

My girlfriend and I each bought multiple advance pre-orders from different sellers for the various perks, but if the game is impossible to play, even in beta, we'll be canceling and spending our time on the games we play which we know work.
Lt. Commander
# 43
01-12-2010, 02:11 AM
All i can say is... there have been many posts on it. Many 'unofficial' resolutions. I assume you guys are still sticking to the mantra the 'unofficial' solutions won't work, so you are stuck with what you got. If not, try one of the other suggestions posted or PM me. I wanna get as many people going as possible and I'm not here to nuke your poor puter.

Cheers,

http://forums.startrekonline.com/showthread.php?t=53066

P.S. The games.on.net absolutely works because i am using it myself, there is just a 1.3 GB patch after you download that client (yes it does indicate Closed Beta, so what?) It'll get you going faster than the 'official' channels.
P.P.S Download uTorrent, much quicker and easier... if you are going the torrent way.
Lt. Commander
# 44
01-12-2010, 02:12 AM
Just make sure your upstream is capped under your max upload speed. Even though you said you have a 1mbit up, I suggest capping your upstream at 20-40k and seeing what happens. If you have too many outbound connections going it'll kill most broadbands. Your ISP might also be fighting you on this with some traffic shaping in place. Can't help you more with your client setup because I used to use bit tornado, and recently use utorrent.

Goes without saying you need to have your ports open correctly to max your speed

gluck
Lt. Commander
# 45
01-12-2010, 02:18 AM
You need to seed. Make sure your upload is set fairly. Your download will always be the sum of your upload speed plus a fair share of the pool, but keep in mind that the pool right now is extremely limited. I finished downloading about half an hour ago and there were less than a thousand completed seeders, with well over 12 thousand leechers and climbing.

While you need to make sure you're seeding, you also can't over-do it. If you max out your upload, you'll cut into your download.

The pool will be distributed with a bias towards those who can re-distribute...this means those with good upload rates and ratios.

And as always, once you're done, keep the torrent open for awhile. As more people finish their downloads tonight, your speeds will increase. You can't log in until 1000 PST anyways.

For those complaining about fileplanet and blaming it on Cryptic, chill out. Fileplanet is notoriously crappy and Cryptic has nothing to do with it. If you're paying for Fileplanet, too bad. Their subscriber servers still suck. File a complaint with them and see how far you get.
Lt. Commander
# 46
01-12-2010, 02:26 AM
Sitting in europe, waiting for data: 70 MB in 7 hours with the STO installer in spite of increasing numbers of uploaders... I will be ready to play in... let me calculate... about 32 days. Hey wait, I have an early access key, but how could I use ist, if I still download the beta or have to wait to download the release client with the same speed?

Ok, maybe there is some sarcasm, but I like to play the beta before the 15th, because I am on holiday for a week and I hope, that players with an early access key will be able to access earlier...
Lt. Commander
Just a heads up for those of you that might not know Torrents THAT well...

If you click the torrent link and get the page of "funny characters", you need to use the "File --> Add torrent from URL" option (at least in UTorrent v1.8.5). Should automatically fill in the URL if you have that garbled page open or you can cut and paste the URL link in the pop-up box.

Capped my UL speed at 100K and it's singing along as of this timestamp with ~ 700 seeds and 6000 leaches with an average DL of 194k (310k max, 44k min for past hour) on my line here in the hinterlands of Canada. 23% done with an eta of 10 hours left. Hope the field report will help others make the right choice of where to get the client.

And please remember, Bit Torrent works because people SEED back. When you're done with the DL, leave that client running as much as you can to help the next guy down the line. You can always cap the UL/DL rates if you need the bandwidth speed elsewhere (like to play the game) but every little bit you can give back help. Ratio IS Karma. Cheers!

EDIT: ten minutes later and we're at 1000 seeds and 7400 leachers. Moving along nicely and eta is now five hours. Hop on the Torrent bus if you have the means, it's the way to go.
Lt. Commander
# 48
01-12-2010, 02:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteppenRazor
All i can say is... there have been many posts on it. Many 'unofficial' resolutions. I assume you guys are still sticking to the mantra the 'unofficial' solutions won't work, so you are stuck with what you got. If not, try one of the other suggestions posted or PM me. I wanna get as many people going as possible and I'm not here to nuke your poor puter.

Cheers,

http://forums.startrekonline.com/showthread.php?t=53066

P.S. The games.on.net absolutely works because i am using it myself, there is just a 1.3 GB patch after you download that client (yes it does indicate Closed Beta, so what?) It'll get you going faster than the 'official' channels.
P.P.S Download uTorrent, much quicker and easier... if you are going the torrent way.
I got the 8.3 GB earlier this week... patched that one today... but when I login NOW... and press the ENGAGE button, it says : 'can't find game client, system can't find the given file'

Anyone who can help me !?
Lt. Commander
# 49
01-12-2010, 02:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaWookie View Post
The USERNAME is you username you use on the website
The PASSWORD is the password you use on the website

The User/Pass is global for cryptic. Same info for website, mail, forums, champions online, STO, etc..
Thanks, I tried that and it didn't work (I had already but in my beta key previously). So I guess I'll wait for that maintenance to go through and try again /cross fingers
Lt. Commander
# 50
01-12-2010, 03:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by elfgetalleke
I got the 8.3 GB earlier this week... patched that one today... but when I login NOW... and press the ENGAGE button, it says : 'can't find game client, system can't find the given file'

Anyone who can help me !?
What version of windows? Did you put it in the default location? Did you install using Admin privelages?
It just means the launcher doesn't know where your client file (GameClient.exe) is located.

Make sure that your launcher file (Star Trek Online.exe) is in the same folder (along with all it's other files) as your star trek game files (Star Trek Online directory).

Shutdown.log
CRASH.log
pcl.log
patchxfer.log
errors.log
force_verify.log
dbghelp.dll
CrypticError.exe
Uninstall Star Trek Online.exe
Star Trek Online.exe
localdata (dir)
Star Trek Online (dir)