Lt. Commander
# 11
01-12-2010, 05:04 AM
AVG has gone downhill some in the past year or so.

Your best current "free" antivirus is prolly Avast IMO.
As for the other scanners listed I mostly agree with maly and hijack.
Best defense is a good offense and PCs are no difference. Starts with a good browser, patches, and some common fricking sense.
Lt. Commander
# 12
01-12-2010, 05:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaWookie View Post

Best defense is a good offense and PCs are no difference. Starts with a good browser, patches, and some common fricking sense.
Unfortunately what, to you and I, is common sense, is black magic to most users. There is so much info on this wonderful thing called the internet this day and age, yet some people don't even know how to use a simple search in forums.
Lt. Commander
# 13
01-12-2010, 06:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaWookie View Post

I have been a user of AVG for many years. Started with Free and then moved on to full internet security. Version 8 was a pretty cool version but the new version 9 is a nightmare regards its firewall.

I have never had any problems while using AVG. No virus as ever got into my system. The ID protection with the paid version is first class.

I agree that MalwareBytes is fantastic. Theres also 2 sites here that can help with scanning individual files. These sites scan your selected file with every major and some minor AVs and so on.

http://virusscan.jotti.org/en-GB

http://www.virustotal.com/

Threatfire also can be handy cause it masks all keystrokes at the Kernal level which is pretty handy to stop keyloggers.

A-Squared is another handy one and I also use this site to check if my programs have any vulnerabilities.

http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/

A few other handy programs. Use google.

Spywareblaster - Stops malicious sites before they even have chance to load in your browser by blocking there IP addresses.

Spybot Seek and Destroy - Malware scanner

Update Checker from Filehippo.
Lt. Commander
# 14
01-12-2010, 06:33 AM
NOD32, best antivirus ever.
Lt. Commander
# 15
01-12-2010, 06:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTWilliams2 View Post
NOD32, best antivirus ever.
Is there a NOD64?
Lt. Commander
# 16
01-12-2010, 07:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanK
would we encounter any problems if it auto removes/ dumps it in quarantine ? whatever the crypticerror.exe is
CrypticError is, if I remember, the error-reporting process that gathers info and transmits it to Cryptic if your application crashes.
Lt. Commander
# 17
01-12-2010, 07:44 AM
Even Window's defender is sending reports to Microsoft to check out that game download may have some bad code in it.
Lt. Commander
# 18
01-12-2010, 07:49 AM
I upgraded to the latest Norton .. big mistake. I can tell they have just grossly overloaded what they were doing. Ugh.
Lt. Commander
# 19
01-12-2010, 08:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tedgp123 View Post
Malwarebytes should be a necessity IMHO for someone using a computer. NOD32 and AVG free edition are also really good pieces of software. Everyone has their own opinions though, but everyone should really have malwarebytes.
I have to agree with this statement.

Best Paid: NOD32
Best Free: MSE

MSE actually has a better detection rate then AVG if you get over the fact its made by Microsoft.