There are plenty of fleets out there but depends on what you are looking for. Do you just want to pick up a specific fleet ship? Looking to hang out with cool guys? Looking for help leveling alts, etc.
Then you run into one of two problems: Either being in a big fleet where it is hard to get credits but has access to all the toys OR being in a small fleet where there is not much competition to get credits but the fleet doesn't have access to all the toys.
Faction also matters.
But it you want, the FMC (Fed) is T2 and has the T3 shipyard queued up. If you want a ship that is available at T2 just holler. Someone has to use those provisions up.
Cheers from Antonio Valerio Cortez III, Half-Celestial Archduke of the Free Marches Confederacy.
So I have a few questions and I might as well ask them here.
1. Do I need to be in a fleet to buy ships and/or weapons from a fleets starbase?
2. If I am in a fleet and don't have store access, will I be able to buy from another fleet?
3. What is the common charge for getting invited to a fleet starbase?
1. The answer depends on what exactly you want to buy.
For ships, you need to be a member of the fleet whose Shipyard you want to use. Otherwise, when you interact with the NPC to buy ships - regardless of whose base you are on - your fleet's ship purchasing menu will open.
For everything else, you do not need to be a member of the fleet you are visiting. You can use their stores, spending your fleet's provisions and your fleet credit and dilithium.
2. I haven't tested this, but probably not. If you don't have permission to spend your fleet's provisions, you probably won't be able to circumvent this by activating another fleet's store.
3. You should never pay to get a map invite. If you want to be nice and give someone a tip, that's your prerogative, but you should never pay money up front for a fleet map invite. There are plenty of chat channels (public service, NOP public service, etc.) where you can get free map invites.
Fleet invites for ships are a different story. If you don't plan to stay in the fleet and contribute, you should expect to pay multiple millions of EC for an invite. Of course, for a 10 console ship, this is still competitive with the alternative of a 2500 zen purchase or a very expensive lockbox/lobi requisition on the exchange.