Lt. Commander
# 21
01-11-2010, 11:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by coderanger
The straight Zip should work, but Windows won't be able to open it so you will need another unzip program like 7zip or winrar.
The heck do you mean? On Vista and XP I've been able to open .zip files just fine without any special programs. And Windows 7 does it just fine too. .rar files on the other hand, I've needed other programs on XP and Vista, but dad says 7 can do .rars on it's own.

For the record, it's now fully downloaded, unzipped (file>extract all files in the explorer window :p), installed, and patched. Ready to go for tomorrow
Lt. Commander
# 22
01-11-2010, 11:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by proudnerd View Post
The heck do you mean? On Vista and XP I've been able to open .zip files just fine without any special programs. And Windows 7 does it just fine too. .rar files on the other hand, I've needed other programs on XP and Vista, but dad says 7 can do .rars on it's own.

For the record, it's now fully downloaded, unzipped (file>extract all files in the explorer window :p), installed, and patched. Ready to go for tomorrow
No, it can't, and no disrespect to your father, maybe he should read up on what "proprietary formats" mean.
Lt. Commander
# 23
01-11-2010, 11:21 PM
Quote:

Perhaps Win7 has fixed it, but under XP and Vista it can't open zip files over 4GB. If it is working I don't intend to question how though :-)
Lt. Commander
# 24
01-11-2010, 11:26 PM
Quote:
Perhaps Win7 has fixed it, but under XP and Vista it can't open zip files over 4GB. If it is working I don't intend to question how though :-)
Ah I didn't realize there was a size restriction. But obviously 7 has it fixed cuz I did it just fine.

(Good thing I've got 7zip on my Vista PC at the dorm )

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erztez
No, it can't, and no disrespect to your father, maybe he should read up on what "proprietary formats" mean.
If that's the case when he was telling me about 7's unzipping capabilities then I guess he didn't mention .rar files and it was only my imagination. But it CAN do .zip files over 4 gigs.

PS: he's got a master's degree in some sort of computer engineering field (I keep forgetting precisely what.) I'm sure he knows exactly what a proprietary format is.
Lt. Commander
# 25
01-12-2010, 01:15 AM
Quote:
More like 14MB if you want to be exact ;-)
I downloaded from D2D on Sunday and it's telling me the patch is 172 Mb, should I let it go or not?
Lt. Commander
# 26
01-12-2010, 01:17 AM
Yes, thats the patch.
Lt. Commander
# 27
01-12-2010, 01:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaWookie View Post
Yes, thats the patch.
So the 10-14 Mb one is coming later? I get confused easily.
Lt. Commander
# 28
01-12-2010, 01:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by marscentral View Post
So the 10-14 Mb one is coming later? I get confused easily.
There may be an additional patch yet today, but all patches are cumulative. You need teh 172mb be4 you can get the next one and the one after that.

As long as you have started with the Open Beta client you can't mess anything up when it comes to patching.

The past issue was with ppls downloading an Closed beta client, patching it up-to-date with the 1-08 build and then actually needing to go backwards. Which Cryptic says they are going to fix up, but in reality its easier just to pull down the open-beta client and be done with it.
Lt. Commander
# 29
01-12-2010, 09:09 AM
I haven't had to download another 14mb, but I downloaded 174 one earlier. Anyway, the launcher says it's up to date, so I'm gonna believe it.