Lt. Commander
Hi everyone.

I haven't bought a computer in soooo long. I'm not much of a game player but I really want to play this game. Anyways, I went to Best Buy today to checkout what's new and exciting. I sure would appreciate your comments and advice. Here is the two computers I am looking at.

HP Phenom II X4 910 (model E9220Y)
$799
Windows 7 Home 64bit
AMD quad core
8 gig DDR3
1TB hard drive (5400rpm)
DVD writer w/lightscribe
Radeon 4350 w/ HDMI, 512MB

Dell core i7 860
$1119
Windows 7 Home 64bit
Intel quad core 2.8ghz
8 gig DDR3
1 TB hard drive 7200rpm
DVD writer
Nvidia GTS240 w/ HDMI, 1024MB

Thanks for any advice, feel free recommend your own.
Lt. Commander
# 2
01-12-2010, 11:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Tom View Post
Hi everyone.

I haven't bought a computer in soooo long. I'm not much of a game player but I really want to play this game. Anyways, I went to Best Buy today to checkout what's new and exciting. I sure would appreciate your comments and advice. Here is the two computers I am looking at.

HP Phenom II X4 910 (model E9220Y)
$799
Windows 7 Home 64bit
AMD quad core
8 gig DDR3
1TB hard drive (5400rpm)
DVD writer w/lightscribe
Radeon 4350 w/ HDMI, 512MB

Dell core i7 860
$1119
Windows 7 Home 64bit
Intel quad core 2.8ghz
8 gig DDR3
1 TB hard drive 7200rpm
DVD writer
Nvidia GTS240 w/ HDMI, 1024MB

Thanks for any advice, feel free recommend your own.
I would pick up the Phenom II X4 system, take the 300 you saved, and pick up one of these puppies with the saved cash (Radeon HD 5850).

The Radeon HD 4350 won't run any games of note, because it's strictly an HTPC card, and the Geforce GTS240 is alright, but it's a entry level card. That cheaper system has more than enough base system performance though, so pair it up with a video card like the one I linked and your games will FLY.
Lt. Commander
# 3
01-12-2010, 01:52 PM
Wow, that's an interesting idea. After you said that I went back to their website and saw that they have a very similar HP for $100 less. The hard drive is slightly smaller but it is 7200 rpm which is a plus. Unfortunately, the video card is built on to the motherboard and I wanted to avoid that.

I'll give your suggestion some serious thought but if I am to go through all the trouble, I might just consider building my own I guess.

Also, I found out that the GTS240 on the Dell is basically the same as the 9800GTX which seems to have mixed reviews here on STO.

Maybe I'll wait a few days to see what other peoples experiences have been.
Lt. Commander
# 4
01-12-2010, 01:56 PM
Quote:
Wow, that's an interesting idea. After you said that I went back to their website and saw that they have a very similar HP for $100 less. The hard drive is slightly smaller but it is 7200 rpm which is a plus. Unfortunately, the video card is built on to the motherboard and I wanted to avoid that.

I'll give your suggestion some serious thought but if I am to go through all the trouble, I might just consider building my own I guess.

Also, I found out that the GTS240 on the Dell is basically the same as the 9800GTX which seems to have mixed reviews here on STO.

Maybe I'll wait a few days to see what other peoples experiences have been.
The 2nd system is a more powerful gaming system IMO. But still a GTS240 is kind of weak, you would be better off building your own system IMO.

However, don't get me wrong, the GTS240 is still a great performing card, more than powerful enough to run STO. I've run STO on an 8800GT which is similar to the GTS240 and it ran great.
Lt. Commander
# 5
01-12-2010, 01:59 PM
I'm going to say that if you don't build your own you should go for something with the i7. They are way ahead of the stuff AMD has going on right now.

Also I wouldn't go below 7200 rpm on your Hard Drive. Alot of people don't realize that loading from the Hard Drive is a major bottleneck.
Lt. Commander
# 6
01-12-2010, 02:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atmas View Post
I'm going to say that if you don't build your own you should go for something with the i7. They are way ahead of the stuff AMD has going on right now.

Also I wouldn't go below 7200 rpm on your Hard Drive. Alot of people don't realize that loading from the Hard Drive is a major bottleneck.
Yes, Hard drive is by far one of the biggest bottlenecks in a computer, even my system which is a 4.0ghz Core i7 920 suffers from hard drive lag.

A 5400rpm hard drive will make your quad core feel like a single core at times.
Lt. Commander
# 7
01-12-2010, 02:10 PM
If I did want to build my own, what are good components?

I see people seem to be raving about Antec cases. Also, I'm guessing a good 700 watt power supply for future upgradability, especially with higher end video cards and in some cases dual video cards. Asus motherboards still seem to be a standard.

Thanks.
Lt. Commander
# 8
01-12-2010, 02:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catamount View Post
I would pick up the Phenom II X4 system, take the 300 you saved, and pick up one of these puppies with the saved cash (Radeon HD 5850).

The Radeon HD 4350 won't run any games of note, because it's strictly an HTPC card, and the Geforce GTS240 is alright, but it's a entry level card. That cheaper system has more than enough base system performance though, so pair it up with a video card like the one I linked and your games will FLY.
I have the HP that the OP posted, with that Radeon HD 4350. So am I SOL for playing Star Trek Online unless I upgrade to a new card?
Lt. Commander
# 9
01-12-2010, 02:23 PM
Quote:
If I did want to build my own, what are good components?

I see people seem to be raving about Antec cases. Also, I'm guessing a good 700 watt power supply for future upgradability, especially with higher end video cards and in some cases dual video cards. Asus motherboards still seem to be a standard.

Thanks.
If you want to go with Nvidia get a GTX260 216core edition, if you want to go with ATI get a 5770, both are reasonably priced and on par with each other performance wise. I would go with Nvidia personally since they tend to have better drivers and support, but the 5770 has the benefit of being DX11 compatible. Both are about $160 on newegg.

CPU I would recommend a core i7-860. Motherboard you can pick and choose, but gigabyte has a relatively inexpensive one. You can also go with AMD in which case I would suggest a Phenom X4 955 or 965.

Best hard drive to get fro the money is the Western Digital 1TB Caviar Black, $99 for that. You can also go with their caviar black 640gb model if you need less space. If you really have money to spend, then get an 80gb Intel SSD for your boot drive, but those are pricey at $290.

Get either 4gb or 8gb of ram also, 4gb will tend to be more than enough however.

Personally I would stick with a better name brand power supply, something like a Corsair, for your computer a 650Watt power supply would be more than enough, in fact quite overkill, but it would give you the option to expand to a multigpu solution later on in the future.

Case is really your choice, but Antec and Coolermaster both make good cases.

Quote:
Originally Posted by altair068 View Post
I have the HP that the OP posted, with that Radeon HD 4350. So am I SOL for playing Star Trek Online unless I upgrade to a new card?
You can probably play the game at low low settings. I would recommend getting a 5770 or GTX260 again. Or you can also shoot for an HD 5570(being released soon), that would run the game too. If your low on cash, a 9800GT is a rather cheap card to get at $99... Even cheaper is a 4670 at $70, but a 9800gt will eat a 4670 for breakfast, and likewise a 5770 or GTX260 will eat a 9800gt, easily 2x the performance.
Lt. Commander
# 10
01-12-2010, 02:25 PM
Having had to just go through this myself I'd actually say go with the Core i7, or even go with the entry level Alienware. Yes, they do cost a little bit more but the i7 is really the way to go when it comes to processing power.

For MMO's you definitely need a beefy system all around but you want one that will give you the greatest amount of flexibility to upgrade in the future. Picking up one that has a solid motherboard, will allow for SLI/Crossfire, and has a good PSU is the way to go if you aren't building it from scratch.

...I typically build my own but found that I just didn't have the time with my hectic schedule. I picked up an Alienware Aurora w/ Core i7 920, 6GB RAM, and an upgraded PSU to 850~ Watts. This gives me a good bit of flexibility if I want to go for an SLI setup or Crossfire setup, and the RAM is easy to upgrade should you want to toss more in. It cost a little bit more, but I felt this was the best option to go with so I don't have to buy a new computer every 2 years.