Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Ten Forward
Login

Starfleet Veteran
# 31
12-04-2013, 03:42 AM
There was once this enchanter, in EverQuest, that thought it was funny to dispel debuffs from mobs that groups were fighting. He was most pleased with himself as he took DoTs, slows, snares, etc off of critters in hopes of getting groups killed.

Now you see, unlike STO, EQ had a rather nasty death penalty. When you died, you lost XP. Die enough, and you lose levels.

There was once this ShadowKnight in EQ, who may or may not have been me, that was most annoyed with the Enchanter. Especially when he bragged about what he was doing. ShadowKnights have this thing called feign death, that, when cast, makes anything following you forget about you. Mobs in EQ have no leashes, so they will chase you far and wide. You can even get A LOT of them to follow you.

I'll let you figure out where this went.
http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=91851990000&dateline=  1341951426
Survivor of Romulus
# 32
12-04-2013, 03:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hravik View Post
There was once this enchanter, in EverQuest, that thought it was funny to dispel debuffs from mobs that groups were fighting. He was most pleased with himself as he took DoTs, slows, snares, etc off of critters in hopes of getting groups killed.

Now you see, unlike STO, EQ had a rather nasty death penalty. When you died, you lost XP. Die enough, and you lose levels.

There was once this ShadowKnight in EQ, who may or may not have been me, that was most annoyed with the Enchanter. Especially when he bragged about what he was doing. ShadowKnights have this thing called feign death, that, when cast, makes anything following you forget about you. Mobs in EQ have no leashes, so they will chase you far and wide. You can even get A LOT of them to follow you.

I'll let you figure out where this went.
You pulled a group of mobs onto the Enchanter, then he AoE stunned them, gated out -- then when the stun wore off they tore you to pieces?
http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/image.php?u=91851766000&type=sigpic&dateline=13403  39147
Starfleet Veteran
# 33
12-04-2013, 03:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by iconians View Post
You pulled a group of mobs onto the Enchanter, then he AoE stunned them, gated out -- then when the stun wore off they tore you to pieces?
Nah, he wasn't that smart. And even if he was, I had a pre-nerf CoS.
http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=91851990000&dateline=  1341951426
Captain
# 34
12-04-2013, 04:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by collegepark2151 View Post
Put 100,000,000 ISK bounty on a guy that keep podding me in EVE.
That was generous of you. He probably used an alt/friend to pod himself and collect the bounty.
Back when I played EvE, I was part of a mercenary/anti pirate guild. Some really bad pirate get angry, and put bounty on us (low rating from podding people). One of them put around 50mil on me. I just collected the bounty, and thanked him (I mean really, I sent him the game mail about the collected bounty).

As for the worst thing I've done ? Difficult to tell, I'm not a bad person, I'm highly empathic, so if I do something evil, I will always have remorse. Except if you are an a**. However, I've done some bad things.

On eve, some pirates where blockading a gate. One of them was on the other side. I was sent to spy on him, and tell my corp once he jumped back with his friends, so we could come and kill them. Unfortunately, he started to talk to me, and he was nice. He even told me about his friends trap on the other side of the gate. He said something like "It was nice chatting with you", jumped, my friends came, and killed everyone. He felt betrayed (he was), and I felt bad.

On GW1, we were able to sell bound item, which were worthless. By mistake, I bought one. I sold it few moment later to another guy. Even worse, I made a profit.
Still on GW1, black dye was a world drop you were able to loot easily in the first part of the game, and was very expensive later. I scammed some noobs, buying the dyes very cheaply, and selling them later for a huge margin.

Last edited by erei1; 12-04-2013 at 08:06 AM.
Captain
# 35
12-04-2013, 05:12 AM
My friend and I discovered a way to abuse the Storyteller tokens in SWG and crashed the servers repeatedly one night >_>

Mind crashing the servers was really crashing just one zone, but we kept doing it over and over and over. Mos Eisley and Restuss werent operable until they did a hotfix the next day to stop the ability to place a couple thousand entities into a container and cause the game to try to calculate more than its memory could handle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QshlU4JsS-I

I believe this video is from before we figured out it was actually possible to not just lag the server, but full on crash it. Ristana always will be remembered by me as the guy that actually made SOE do something about lag.
Vice Admiral Rylana - U.S.S. DNT Omega X || Vice Admiral Lyzara - I.R.W. DNT Omicron X
Vice Admiral Kailiana - R.R.W. DNT Theta X || Vice Admiral Talina - I.R.W. DNT Tau X
Vice Admiral Victoria - U.S.S. DNT Upsilon X || Lt. General Dannika - I.K.S. DNT Sigma X
Vice Admiral Shondra - R.R.W. DNT Alpha X || Lt. General Rosanna - I.K.S. DNT Iota X
=== Vice Squad/House of Tlhap-Jen ===
Republic Veteran
# 36
12-04-2013, 06:56 AM
Deleted someones account

The Following signature is not endorsed by the Dukat administration, and Down with Bajor Party

Captain
# 37
12-04-2013, 08:20 AM
Set up: I played a Monk in EverQuest and I was fortunate to join a raiding guild that got to the Plane of Time. Back then, that was serious upper-level raiding. The skills of the player made the task of "pulling mobs" easier by gear. I literally worked hard to learn the zones, mob pathing, pull techniques/tricks, spent time to play for skill increase THEN bid for the gear (we used a participation-point system).

Every time we had recruits, there was a probationary period where they got to learn the guild culture, get to know other players, but most importantly ... prove their worth.

Well, another monk player was recruiting and he could do a decent job but his gear was keeping him from handling a lot of stuff. In my self-righteous elitist position as one of the main pullers for the guild, I ranted against the guy. I mean, I tried to help but was frustrated when playing with him.

Well, unknown to me, the monk was best friends with the a rogue-player that was accepted previously. I'm sure the rogue read the message boards because he quit within days of joining and the monk pulled his app.

No one said anything to me, but I made connections in other ways. I didn't even apologize.

I'm much better now
Kathryn S. Beringer - The Dawn Patrol

Solaris build - Veritatum Liquido Cernene
Career Officer
# 38
12-04-2013, 08:37 AM
Worst things I've ever done in MMOs? FFXI story time!

Story 1:

Was farming Cockatrice mobs in Labyrinth of Onzozo for their meat (yep, I know how that sounds lol) so I could use them to make kabobs. I wasn't about to pay for the meat on the AH. Anyway, I get down there and get into farming mode when a gold seller shows up. The random keyboard smash name gave him away. Anyways, he starts running around wiping out all the mobs in the area. That particular area I was farming can really only support 1 person at a time due to the respawn rates. Generally people on my server (Garuda) would respect when someone was farming in an area and go somewhere else. Being a dirty gold seller, he doesn't care.

Now at the time I'm farming on my DRK/THF (THF sub for Treasure Hunter, duh) so I had access to flee and sneak attack/trick attack (SATA). So in an effort to chase him off, I started following him around. He wasn't using any skills to tag mobs, he was just running up to them and smacking them with his auto attack. So right before he would attack, I would hit flee, run up with SATA on and tag the mob first. Because I used SATA the mob would have aggro toward him and not me, but it was my tag so he couldn't hit it back. In between SATA/flee CD I would just Poison pull (fast casting ranged spell).

After a while of not being able to get anything, he started raging at me in Chinese. Well, I think it was Chinese anyway.

Cao ni ma!
Cao ni ma!
F*** your mother, grass your father!
F*** your mother, grass your father!
Cao ni ma!
Cao ni ma!

Is what he kept repeating that over and over and for a while and then started raging at me using actual Chinese characters. No idea what any of that was supposed to mean. Anway, he eventually got the hint and left. But man was he pissed.

Story 2:

This one started off with the best of intentions, but ended really, really badly.

Walking through South San d'Oria minding my own business when suddenly I spot one of my long time buddies on the corner of my screen. Figure I'd go over and bug him for a bit before going on my way. Much to my surprise, I found that he was ERPing with a Mithra (catgirl). I was shocked. I didn't think he was into that kind of stuff. Rather than freak out on him, I decided to support his decision and join in with him. I then did what any reasonable person would do in such a situation.

I went back to my Moghouse (personal player housing) and grabbed my frilly subligar, a helmet with demon horns on it, and some gloves that looked like white felt. Can't remember if I wore a top or not. Anyways, I then went back my buddy and his Mithra. Not wanting to be too forward, I moved toward them slowly making cow noises. Try to set the mood properly ya know? I mean, that's what ERPers do...right? I eventually reached them and started doing some emotes on top of them. I guess I did something wrong because the both of them immediately logged out.

The next day I looked on my friend list and saw that my buddy had transferred to another server without saying anything to me. At the time, a server transfer cost $25. I sent him a mail trying to talk to him, but he immediately removed me from his friend list and put me on his blacklist. I was very sad. So much for trying to be a good, supporting friend. I guess I'm just not cut out to be an ERPer.

Story 3:

Was leveling up my RDM in Gustav Tunnel. I normally don't play RDM and was just leveling it for fun, so I really didn't care about it. Got an exp party killing Goblins down in the lower tunnels. The WHM looked to be on her first job and was over healing a bit which was causing the tank to lose hate. Normally it's not a big deal, just have to tell them to dial it back a bit and everything is fine. Well, one of the DDs got raging pissed at her and became very verbally abusive. He then became abusive to everyone in the party as we continued. I decided that this just wasn't going to fly anymore. Remember, I didn't really care about my RDM.

Now off to the side of our little exp camp was a room filled with high level skeleton mobs. Skeletons are generally nasty because they have an AoE drain skill that drains the HP from anyone around them and refills their own HP. These particular skeles were blood aggro mobs, meaning that they won't attack you on sight and will instead attack someone with low HP. RDM has a skill called Convert which converts your HP into MP. You can't die from it, but it will leave you with 1 HP left. RDM also has Protect, Phalanx, and Stoneskin. These are physical damage mitigation spells that when used in conjunction with each other, has the potential to reduce incoming physical damage to 0 for a short time. You may see where this is going.

I send a tell to the WHM: "Make sure you have Reraise up." She asks me why and I just say "Trust me on this one." She says okay and casts it. I then tossed up Protect, Phalanx, and Stoneskin and ran into the skele room. Hit Convert and they all run at me. I then bring them back to my party where they wipe the floor with us. All of us died, it was a complete slaughter. Now in FFXI we lost exp on death and could lose levels. The abusive DD had just leveled up not too long ago, so he lost that level on death. He's now raging HARD at me. Whatever, I don't care. I tell them WHM to go ahead and use her Reraise once the skeles clear out. She does and goes about raising all of us. All of us except the abusive DD, which I told her not to. You see, if a mage uses a Raise spell on you, it greatly reduced the amount of exp lost from death. As I RDM I have a Raise spell too, but like hell I'm going to use it on this guy.

The rest of the party is now laughing as we recover from the slaughter. They know why I did what I did and thought it was funny. We decide to end the exp party at that point since all of us had had enough of this guy. We broke the party and reformed (the dead guy was the party leader) and then gathered on top of his body as the WHM began casting teleport (which only works on party members). He's still raging at me to raise him and I just responded with "Suck my d***" as the teleport spell went off, leaving him on the floor of the tunnels all by himself with a large exp loss.

I'm usually pretty chill, but once in a while I can be a total bastard lol.

-Lantesh
Since Feb. 2009
Captain
# 39
12-04-2013, 09:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lan451 View Post
This one started off with the best of intentions, but ended really, really badly.

Walking through South San d'Oria minding my own business when suddenly I spot one of my long time buddies on the corner of my screen. Figure I'd go over and bug him for a bit before going on my way. Much to my surprise, I found that he was ERPing with a Mithra (catgirl). I was shocked. I didn't think he was into that kind of stuff. Rather than freak out on him, I decided to support his decision and join in with him. I then did what any reasonable person would do in such a situation.

I went back to my Moghouse (personal player housing) and grabbed my frilly subligar, a helmet with demon horns on it, and some gloves that looked like white felt. Can't remember if I wore a top or not. Anyways, I then went back my buddy and his Mithra. Not wanting to be too forward, I moved toward them slowly making cow noises. Try to set the mood properly ya know? I mean, that's what ERPers do...right? I eventually reached them and started doing some emotes on top of them. I guess I did something wrong because the both of them immediately logged out.

The next day I looked on my friend list and saw that my buddy had transferred to another server without saying anything to me. At the time, a server transfer cost $25. I sent him a mail trying to talk to him, but he immediately removed me from his friend list and put me on his blacklist. I was very sad. So much for trying to be a good, supporting friend. I guess I'm just not cut out to be an ERPer.
Maybe you should go play CO. From what I've heard, that behavior would fit right in at Club Caprice.
-------------------------------------------
I'm old enough not to care too much about what you think of me --
But I'm young enough to remember the future, the way things ought to be...

- Rush, "Cut To the Chase", Counterparts
Career Officer
# 40
12-04-2013, 09:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonsills View Post
Maybe you should go play CO. From what I've heard, that behavior would fit right in at Club Caprice.
Heh, I actually do play CO every now and then but I don't go near that place. Well, unless you count when you have to go there to start the VB mission arc. I don't think that's a normal instance though, I never see anyone else there when I have to pick up that mission.

-Lantesh
Since Feb. 2009