Career Officer
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 120
# 21
11-06-2013, 05:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by zipagat View Post
It would also be nice if us Letheans got mentioned at all, the whole race is a blank slate pretty much beyond we know they are telepathic and live shorter lives than a lot of species (80 years).
Cryptic could do a hell of a lot with that blank slate if they wanted.
This I love Letheans
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 234
# 22
11-09-2013, 11:25 AM
Yes, I don't like this red federation image of the KDF at all. All those aliens on Qonos or on our ships. Bah !

And I would love to learn more about the true motives of the Orions. Or how loyal are the Gorn and consider the Nausicaans their little agreement with the KDF advantageous ?

Having standard versions of our minor race's ships would be very easy. Minus one console slot, knocking down one bridge officer one rank and removing the special console/hangar pet.
At least I could live without any new skin for those ships.
The effort for doing so is minimal.

The prefixes are already available, but race specific ranks are missing.

Way more complicated would be new storylines (say 1-20) for the 3 KDF allies/vassals. And those races would need their own homeworlds, right ? A Nausicaan asteroid base, how cool whould that be ?
But unfortunately this would require tons of dev time.

Maybe the last issue could be circumvened by just adding embassies to Qonos ?

Otherwise I could just quote Angrytarg's post. He sums it up perfectly.
Community Moderator
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 3,614
# 23
11-13-2013, 08:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by angrytarg View Post
What I think should have been done (will never happen, though) is that every ally/vassal to the Klingon Empire got their own social zone, e.g. Homeworld/Space station with it's own short missions that explain why the F you are "member" of the Empire. Every people should have their own vessels, of course a Nausicaan playr could purchae the other ship as well but the social zone's shipyard would distribute unique ship(s) for every ally species.
I agree that would have been the best way. I doubt we'll ever really get there, but they could take some baby steps in that direction.

What they COULD do, eventually, as part of an Iconian invasion storyline, would be to start creating some of those homeworlds and use them to move that plot thread forward. All they need is a good excuse to do it that fits with their plans.

Once there were homeworlds for the vassal sub-factions, it could open the door for some of what you're talking about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by angrytarg View Post
Honestly, who wanted to play an Orion wearing a Klingon uniform, commanding Klingon ships and be adressed as such?
Well, me. I developed my Orion's bio specifically with that kind of thing in mind. I wanted her to feel more like a Warrior Princess with specific ties to the Klingon culture.

But it doesn't feel as if there is much room for the Orion Syndicate as a functional part of the Empire and not a whole lot of plot development around that uneasy relationship.
Volunteer Community Moderator for the Star Trek Online forums -- My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment. If you wish to speak to someone on the community team, file a "forums and website" support ticket here, as we are not able to respond to PMs regarding moderation inquiries.
Link: How to PM - Twitter @STOMod_Bluegeek
Empire Veteran
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 652
# 24
11-13-2013, 10:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegeek View Post
I agree that would have been the best way. I doubt we'll ever really get there, but they could take some baby steps in that direction.

What they COULD do, eventually, as part of an Iconian invasion storyline, would be to start creating some of those homeworlds and use them to move that plot thread forward. All they need is a good excuse to do it that fits with their plans.

Once there were homeworlds for the vassal sub-factions, it could open the door for some of what you're talking about.



Well, me. I developed my Orion's bio specifically with that kind of thing in mind. I wanted her to feel more like a Warrior Princess with specific ties to the Klingon culture.

But it doesn't feel as if there is much room for the Orion Syndicate as a functional part of the Empire and not a whole lot of plot development around that uneasy relationship.

The only real way I can see the plot going with the Orions and the KDF is down the path of the Orions pulling the strings of the higher ups within the great houses and maybe the chancellor's himself.

I suppose they could tie the Iconians in that way with them manipulating the Orion Syndicate to exert control on the KDF hence all the big push for the war with Starfleet and the Gorn and so on.
toDuj 'oS rol.
Captain
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 1,739
# 25
12-04-2013, 08:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by zipagat View Post
It would also be nice if us Letheans got mentioned at all, the whole race is a blank slate pretty much beyond we know they are telepathic and live shorter lives than a lot of species (80 years).
Cryptic could do a hell of a lot with that blank slate if they wanted.
Yeah! Kinda like the Voth.


...*runs*


-Internet Survival Tools, Big Booty Tutorial, Let's Play! (Legion=me)

Quote:
Originally Posted by borticuscryptic View Post
No. A Destroyer is not an Escort.
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,210
# 26
12-04-2013, 09:17 AM
I've imagined that "sub-factions" could work as an extention of the rep system, combined with the Federation/Klingon alliance choice that Romulans have to make.

Basically, at some point in the early game (possibly not when you roll your character, but after a thematically appropriate mission), you'd be presented with a choice. You could pledge your unwavering allegiance to the KDF, join the Gorn resistance as a sleeper agent, align yourself with the Orion Syndicate, etc.

You would be able to choose only one of these, and your choice would have subtle effects on your gameplay experience (nothing drastic, as I'm sure Cryptic would have little interest in writing full missions for a segment of a faction). Maybe some alternative dialogue here and there, and a tiered gear/ship progression a la the reputation system.

Romulans could choose between being loyal Republicans or Tal Shiar sleeper agents. Starfleet officers could choose between openly supporting or rebelling against Section 31.

The nature of the Klingon faction opens itself to far more options, though.
Captain
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 1,739
# 27
12-04-2013, 09:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffel82 View Post
I've imagined that "sub-factions" could work as an extention of the rep system, combined with the Federation/Klingon alliance choice that Romulans have to make.

Basically, at some point in the early game (possibly not when you roll your character, but after a thematically appropriate mission), you'd be presented with a choice. You could pledge your unwavering allegiance to the KDF, join the Gorn resistance as a sleeper agent, align yourself with the Orion Syndicate, etc.

You would be able to choose only one of these, and your choice would have subtle effects on your gameplay experience (nothing drastic, as I'm sure Cryptic would have little interest in writing full missions for a segment of a faction). Maybe some alternative dialogue here and there, and a tiered gear/ship progression a la the reputation system.

Romulans could choose between being loyal Republicans or Tal Shiar sleeper agents. Starfleet officers could choose between openly supporting or rebelling against Section 31.

The nature of the Klingon faction opens itself to far more options, though.
Not only the KDF. LOok at the Federation too.

Every one of the sub-species has its own homeworld with its own people and starships. Vulcans have their own. Gorn as well. Same with Rigelian, Nausicaan, Trill, etc. There's nothing stopping us continuity-wise from being able to start the game on one of their homeworlds and pilot a species-exclusive ship while still being loyal to the greater faction.

Nothing continuity-wise that is... though development-wise and money-wise, there's probably a great deal standing in the way. Doing this would mean not only putting more development into the maps each sub-faction's home planet, but it would directly endanger some of the C-store's(least popular) ships(if done poorly...)

Not to mention that the STO devs seem to want to follow a storyline. One that doesn't involve that faceless protagonist as anything other than whomever starts at Starfleet Academy, as a first officer on a B'rel, or a colonist on Virinat.
It's a shame that the devs don't want to expand this game into something more. It IS a great game, and I am personally appreciative of everything the devs are doing for it. But it just seems like a very awesome fraction of a much greater game...


-Internet Survival Tools, Big Booty Tutorial, Let's Play! (Legion=me)

Quote:
Originally Posted by borticuscryptic View Post
No. A Destroyer is not an Escort.
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,210
# 28
12-04-2013, 11:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeitis View Post
Not only the KDF. LOok at the Federation too.
My personal feeling is that even though the Federation has many worlds and species, they aren't usually depicted as having conflicting agendas. The Federation, and Starfleet, are generally one big, happy family.

That's why I feel the best sub-faction for Starfleet officers would be to align with traditional Starfleet Intelligence or Section 31.

It's true that some Federation species have fielded their own ships, but (I think) we only saw them in Enterprise - ancient history. Since then, there have been references to, for example, ships with all-Vulcan crews, but those ships have been portrayed as standard Starfleet designs (I think).

Not to say your idea couldn't work...it just might require some additional narrative hoops to jump through.

Personally, I think it's absurd that Starfleet only maintains one training Academy...can you imagine how huge that place would have to be?
Captain
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 1,739
# 29
12-04-2013, 11:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffel82 View Post
My personal feeling is that even though the Federation has many worlds and species, they aren't usually depicted as having conflicting agendas. The Federation, and Starfleet, are generally one big, happy family.

That's why I feel the best sub-faction for Starfleet officers would be to align with traditional Starfleet Intelligence or Section 31.

It's true that some Federation species have fielded their own ships, but (I think) we only saw them in Enterprise - ancient history. Since then, there have been references to, for example, ships with all-Vulcan crews, but those ships have been portrayed as standard Starfleet designs (I think).

Not to say your idea couldn't work...it just might require some additional narrative hoops to jump through.

Personally, I think it's absurd that Starfleet only maintains one training Academy...can you imagine how huge that place would have to be?
It is implied that Starfleet is not the only one of the Federation's military programs, I believe.


-Internet Survival Tools, Big Booty Tutorial, Let's Play! (Legion=me)

Quote:
Originally Posted by borticuscryptic View Post
No. A Destroyer is not an Escort.
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,210
# 30
12-04-2013, 11:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeitis View Post
It is implied that Starfleet is not the only one of the Federation's military programs, I believe.
It's all pretty inconsistent, but my sense has always been that a Federation world has jurisdiction over its own local security/defense, while Starfleet handles anything on an interstellar level.

Except for Earth, which seems to have turned everything over to Starfleet.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:06 AM.