Lt. Commander
After encountering this problem myself and looking into others post it seems there is a slight bug with outdated audio drivers for Realtek hd 64bit drivers. If your having this trouble go to http://majorgeeks.com/Realtek_High_D...P03_d4902.html and download the latest driver. This will resolve your troubles with no sound in game... well not if you forgot to plug in your speakers first lol

JC
Lt. Commander
# 2
01-12-2010, 12:07 PM
Didnt work for me >_>
Lt. Commander
# 3
01-12-2010, 12:21 PM
Same problem here -.-
Lt. Commander
# 4
01-12-2010, 12:24 PM
interesting, mine will work through USB headphones just no through the RealTek Sound card... very odd
Lt. Commander
# 5
01-12-2010, 01:03 PM
didn't work for me also. after instalation of new drivers there still no sound. everything else works correctly.
Lt. Commander
# 6
01-12-2010, 01:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartek83 View Post
didn't work for me also. after instalation of new drivers there still no sound. everything else works correctly.
The same has happend for me also . Running on XP 64 with realtek hd audio. New drivers reboot still no sound.
Lt. Commander
# 7
01-12-2010, 01:46 PM
I too have the latest Drivers for my realtek HD audio. No sound from STO.
Lt. Commander
# 8 Problem partially solved.
01-12-2010, 02:03 PM
Okay, I've got an intergrated RealTek HD Audio chipset giving me the silent treatment as well. I also have some USB headphones, and I figured out how to get the sound working in a very roundabout way.

First, I set sound output in STO to use my USB headphones. Nothing happened, sound was still absent. I closed the game.

I restarted the game client- the sound worked in my USB headphones. I went into the Options menu, and switched to my RealTek HD Audio, and lo and behold, sound! Glorious sound! Unfortunately, it only works for that run. You have to remember to set STO's audio output back to the USB headphones before you exit, otherwise you'll lose the just-gained sound on your next client start and have to redo this jury-rigged fix.

This is a downright bizarre bug, since there's absolutely nothing wrong with the game's sound system per se, as it worked fine once I figured out how to do an end-run around the normal startup sequence. It looks like there's some issue with how the game initializes its sound subsystem that prevents it from properly starting in limited situations.
Lt. Commander
# 9
01-12-2010, 02:26 PM
Please uninstall the current driver and install the latest provided by Realtek. You must uninstall the drivers before you install the new set.

1. Download the latest drivers located at http://www.realtek.com.tw/.
2. Go into the Control Panel and select Add/Remove Programs, or Programs and Features under Win7/Vista, and completely uninstall the current installed drivers.
3. Reboot the system.
4. Upon restart the user will get one or more messages from Windows asking for drivers. Cancel them and allow the system to completely finish loading.
5. Once the system has finished loading install the updated drivers and reboot when prompted.

If this does not fix your issue please try disabling the game's check for 64-Bit systems

Exit the game and bring up the Launcher, click Options, and in the "Advanced command line" box, paste this: -ignorex64check, accept the changes and try loading the game.

Sincerely,
Cryptic Studios Technical Support
Lt. Commander
# 10
01-12-2010, 03:44 PM
Thank you, Doog. Updating the drivers did not resolve my problem, but adding the -ignorex64check to the command line worked. I'll have to do more testing to see if that solution is any better than the one I came up with, as I haven't been able to test either properly in-game to see if working around this problem created another.