Captain
# 111
12-02-2013, 11:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkjeff View Post
"Greetings, Moist nickcastleton."
Which is why I want a rank selector that only has certain titles available. Master Chef nickcastleton would be an appropriate title, but Moist nickcastleton is not.
Commander
# 112
12-02-2013, 01:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by khan5000 View Post
But lets crunch some numbers:
There are 285 ships in the US Navy
US law caps the number of flag officers to 216.

So pretty much there is one admiral for every ship in the US Navy?give or take a few. And that is one country on one planet.

How many ships are Starfleet? With this influx of player ships there must be an influx of people who control them. If the US Navy has one admiral for every ship they have then it makes sense that there'd be so many VA in this game.

I think that number is just mostly coincidence

That law has been around for a long time, i think there were some changes to it in 96, 97 or 98 i forget which. But anyways, allowances for the total general/flag officers the service can have has been the same for a while. I googled and found that in 1996 the Navy had 204 flag officers, in 1989 they had 256. According to a different source i found, the Navy had 375 ships in 1996 and 592 in 1989. I think the number might be related to the officer-enlisted overall ratio in each service, but not ships. Also, just because the navy goes into wartime mode doesnt mean that the Admiral who in peacetime is ComPacSurFltLolAcronyms will in wartime have to command a destroyer. It actually goes the other way...the demand for higher positions is higher and if a position needs to be filled its more common for someone to get promoted up to it, instead of being demoted down to it.

STOs rank structure is just following classic video gaming rules. It slightly resembles Star Trek TV/movie rules, but its mostly gaming rules (unless maybe you count JJ ST). Gaming rules is like...you are the player and you start out as a buck private then you get promoted to sergeant then sergeant major...then to lieutenant, captain, then allll the way to General. Congratulations!!! you've beaten the game and have been promoted to five star General of first person shooters /salute. Now go back out there and keep on doing that grunt work that you do so well General sir. I dont know if its intentional, they dont know how it should have been done or they just dont care. It's like some air force person telling his relatives or friends that they are in the air force and the response is "ohh are you a pilot?"
Career Officer
# 113
12-02-2013, 02:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by starkaos View Post
Which is why I want a rank selector that only has certain titles available. Master Chef nickcastleton would be an appropriate title, but Moist nickcastleton is not.
The entire Titles system is schizophrenic. Sometimes they're actually titles like "The Dauntless Bob", "Detective Dave", or "Captain Jane". Then we have questionable things like "Moist Carl", "Annihilated Sue", or "Warped Lister", which are at least still adjectives. Then we have the ones like "Boothby's Favorite Jack", "Cheated Death Kirk", "Frenzied by the Fray Fred", or "This Far, No Further Steward".

"Don't let them promote you. Don't let them transfer you. Don't let them do anything that takes you off the bridge of that ship, because while you're there... you can make a difference." - James T. Kirk
Commander
# 114
12-02-2013, 02:23 PM
Quote:
The entire Titles system is schizophrenic. Sometimes they're actually titles like "The Dauntless Bob", "Detective Dave", or "Captain Jane". Then we have questionable things like "Moist Carl", "Annihilated Sue", or "Warped Lister", which are at least still adjectives. Then we have the ones like "Boothby's Favorite Jack", "Cheated Death Kirk", "Frenzied by the Fray Fred", or "This Far, No Further Steward".

It just seems like a copy of WoW's title system. Back in the day you mostly saw just PVP ranks in WoW. Knight-Champion Stonewbie or Grand Marshall Darkjeff...maybe a couple of non PVP ones too like Scarab Lord Nickcastleton. But now they have all sorts of titles. Server firsts, achievements, professions, whatever. And of course people were making up clever title-name combinations too like "Salty Snacks" or stuff like that. Main difference is that WoW has always been kinda silly.
Commander
# 115
12-02-2013, 03:48 PM
Quote:

They're in the Pentagon, on bases, academies, hospitals - not gallivanting around commanding ships.
not really?I was in the Navy for 11 years and was stationed on an air craft carrier for the first 5 years?every time we went on deployment we had an admiral with us. Did he command the ship?no but he was in charge.
Captain
# 116
12-02-2013, 06:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by khan5000 View Post
not really?I was in the Navy for 11 years and was stationed on an air craft carrier for the first 5 years?every time we went on deployment we had an admiral with us. Did he command the ship?no but he was in charge.
Yeah, and that's usually a 1 star incharge of the carrier strike group. But guess what he was incharge of a GROUP of ships, not just 1.

Cause carriers, or LHA/LHD which form expeditionary strike groups[replace carrier with a LHA/LHD] go out in groups which a flag officer commands.

What group and or squadron does the VA control? Oh yeah that's right NONE. Just a glorified captain still sitting in the captain's chair instead of a flag bridge a flag officer should be on.

So when we actually start acting like flag officers instead of glorified captains, then we can really start calling ourselves flag officers.
Marrek Steele: RAdm CO 99th Pursuit Squadron Flagship USS Nike(Avenger)
Lunimara Hawk: LT Gen IKS Eclipse(Dyson Destroyer)
Altair: Rear Admiral: RRW Anduril( Ak'rif Carrier)
Captain
# 117
12-03-2013, 08:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by starkaos View Post
You're no fun at all.
http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o633/centersolace/189cux9khvl6ojpg_zpsca7ccff0.jpg

So inhumane superweapons, mass murder, and canon nonsense is okay, but speedos are too much for some people.
Captain
# 118
12-04-2013, 08:04 PM
As long as we are only commanding a single ship, we are all only captains regardless of whether we're a lieutenant or an admiral. all we need is for any coms etc. to address us as captain.
To be honest I'm fine with rank not mattering where our missions are involved, ya some of our tasks are pretty mundane for a captain to be doing let alone an admiral but at the same time I don't think the game would be much fun if you were playing as a paper pusher.
If something is not broken, don't fix it, if it is broken, don't leave it.
Oh Hell NO to ARC........One Ring to Rule Them all........
Ensign
# 119
12-17-2013, 01:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by captinjacksparow View Post
Well, the fact that we're starship captains and also vice admirals just means we're special ^.^
funny as kirk, archer, and janeway all became admirals
Captain
# 120
12-17-2013, 01:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by steadyedie View Post
funny as kirk, archer, and janeway all became admirals
and all of them after they became admirals no longer commanded ships. Kirk had a special situation and he wasn't supposed to remain in command of the Enterprise during Wrath of Khan.

Infact had he not stolen the Enterprise he'd of become a paper pusher. Just like Archer and janeway did.
Marrek Steele: RAdm CO 99th Pursuit Squadron Flagship USS Nike(Avenger)
Lunimara Hawk: LT Gen IKS Eclipse(Dyson Destroyer)
Altair: Rear Admiral: RRW Anduril( Ak'rif Carrier)