Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > Federation Gameplay
Login

Career Officer
# 21
11-29-2013, 07:43 PM
The simple solution also would be to completely remove the exchange and implement something that made the game more immersive. Assigning officers on your crew to fetch supplies (and no, not all through the silly menu system). Weapons, warp cores, shields could all be something that is done at a shipyard where your giving the option to work through some kind of tech tree and acquire the upgrades. The upgrades could to take a little time to complete and as you gain higher tech and upgrade your ship facilities more, you get access to better equipment.

Energy credits would make sense for just personal supplies, but you should be able to do everything via a shipyard or your ship. Overseeing research & upgrades in the science, engineering and tactical areas on your ship/station.

But, remember. Cryptic does not appear to want to give everyone an immersive space experience. They just want to slap on the same old standard MMO mechanics (which I personally don't feel work well for a sci-fi game) and provide a sub-standard service with repetitive grind.

This game really does need some bigger fixes than just renaming stuff though. So much potential with a great franchise and all it's becoming is a repetitive pew pew grind. Seem to be lacking the exploration and content, sad really.

If you are ever looking for an immersive sci-fi experience, you may have better luck having a look at Star Citizen, which aims to be the "Best Damn Space Sim Ever". I'll still continue to be involved with this game now and then for the ST fix personally, but I wish Cryptic would really step up and take advantage of this great franchise at their hands.......

The possibilities are endless.

"We're doing it wrong, but it's working...."
Lt. Commander
# 22
11-30-2013, 01:50 AM
Seriously? Is this all you have to worry about?

What about KDF or Romulan or any other faction in the future. Are you suggesting that they rewrite code in this game to alter the exchange system? Instead of using resources on nonsensical RP fueled complaints. Try fixing bugs and quality of life improvements in the game first.

As they would be different currencies you are suggesting that we should have a separate exchange system for each faction. Vendors in areas such as DS9 or Drozana would no longer be neutral or would have to have their own currency. You would no longer be able to freely exchange credits between all of your characters of different factions...

I think people who complain about immersion in this game are a joke. If you can imagine that instead of sitting at a desk using a computer you are a starship captain in the 25th century in some cases Romulan or Klingon. You can certainly imagine that energy credits are called something else. Until you play the game and uninstall the game upon dying and do not respawn your immersion argument is invalid.
Captain
# 23
11-30-2013, 03:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulyman View Post
Until you play the game and uninstall the game upon dying and do not respawn your immersion argument is invalid.
I wasn't going to post here, but I just had to comment:

It would be more accurate if you said "and delete your character upon dying".
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oh, lovely, I can't even requote the Douglas Adams quote I used to have here I WANT IT BACK!!!!
Dalo Lorn
DaloLorn, StarCraft 2 Roleplayer and proud of it.
Lt. Commander
# 24
11-30-2013, 12:40 PM
Federation has no other worries? Really?

Pray tell, what has UI to do with roleplaying? Are you roleplaying losing your numeric hitpoints as well, when struck?
Career Officer
# 25 ECs
12-05-2013, 10:49 AM
There's plenty of canon to go along with the use of energy credits. As already mentioned, there's the "Trouble with Tribbles" episodes. There are several DS9 episodes that mention credits. The reality is the federation does have to negotiate with currency-driven civilizations.

As far as the post about there not being enough content....I have played several of the player-created episodes. While many are pew-pew, there are several authors who have gone to great lengths to script good storylines...you should try some of them out. I only wish the devs would try some of them, tweak them a bit, then add them to the game permanently.