Lt. Commander
# 1 STO under Wine/Linux/Mac
01-12-2010, 03:36 PM
Disclaimer: Bioware don't officially support running it under these operating systems or conditions. Don't expect developer help. Don't go nagging when it won't run, or won't run right. This is just a place for users to share experiences, not a place to complain about support or lack thereof.

So, I'm an avid gamer. I've gotten a number of games running fine under Wine (Everything Source-based, Dragon Age, WoW, LotRO). I'm keen on playing STO, but before I lay down money I want to know that I can get it running.

So far, all I can get is the launcher updating and logging in. Once logged in, the "buttons" (app:2,3,4 links) don't seem to do anything. What I assume is the news pane never loads, the drop down box is empty, and it seems like nothing happens.

I've checked with Wireshark, the app is POST'ing the login data, and getting a 200 back, so that's working fine.

It might be something to do with Javascript not running properly on my end. I'm getting [code]0[18bf88]: file http://startrekonline.com/launcher_login, line1: ReferenceError: focus_password is not defined[/code]
focus_password is a Javascript function defined in http://startrekonline.com/themes/sta...js/launcher.js but I can also see from the wireshark cap that it's not being fetched. It's also this JS file that seems to have a decent hunk of content that runs on loading, so I'm guessing this is my current issue.
Lt. Commander
# 2
01-12-2010, 03:50 PM
Of note, the login form isn't actually a form, it is intercepted by the launcher code, so a POST of that data will do nothing.
Lt. Commander
# 3
01-12-2010, 04:16 PM
The launcher uses MS's Internet Explorer for a lot of functions. Luckily, it seems that you might not even need to touch the launcher if you can get the game patched. If the patch works, you can exit the launcher and run the GameClient.exe file directly, as the launcher just passes your login information along to that program, which does the real game login. The only uses of the launcher are patching and displaying shorter versions of the release notes. Unless it's patch day, I doubt I'll ever bother with the pointless extra step of running the launcher.
Lt. Commander
# 4
01-12-2010, 04:24 PM
@coderanger
Actually, yeah that makes sense. I was wondering how that came about (the POST data is quite different to what I type) but if I think about, the 'action="app:4"' should've given it away.

@pliney
Sorry, when i said updating, I meant the launcher itself is being updated. The client is not being updated. However, a lot of IE functionality does actually work. For example, Steam works fine, and it's internal browser is "meant" to be IE but is actually the Gecko engine. So support might not be too hard.

Anyway, I'm now pretty confident that the current issue is a JavaScript in Wine issue. I double checked my wireshark logs, and the javascript file is not even being downloaded. I'm not sure why, testing now.
Lt. Commander
# 5
01-12-2010, 04:39 PM
Launcher/Patcher running fine with IE7 installation in wine.
Game itself does not launch (crash)

Wine 1.1.36 x86_32
WinXP
DX9 August '09 (winetricks)
Lt. Commander
# 6
01-13-2010, 06:47 AM
Although I do run Ubuntu (both for leasure and for school), I really don't know how to tweek wine. Any information you can provide to help get STO to run in linux would be appreciated.
Lt. Commander
# 7
01-13-2010, 07:00 AM
Well I hope it works on wine soon, then I can remove windows again (: only reason I have windows atm is because of STO
Lt. Commander
# 8
01-13-2010, 07:07 AM
This Wine benchmark might be of interest:

Linux Gaming: Are we there yet?
http://www.anandtech.com/linux/showd...=3700&p=2&cp=4
Lt. Commander
# 9
01-13-2010, 07:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr0pi View Post
Launcher/Patcher running fine with IE7 installation in wine.
Game itself does not launch (crash)

Wine 1.1.36 x86_32
WinXP
DX9 August '09 (winetricks)
If you run "winecfg" and check the libraries tab, do you have an override for "mshtml", and if so, what is it?

Edit: Fixed my Javascript issue. I gave up on trying to get native Wine/Gecko working, and just moved to IE6. Currently patching, will keep this updated. Although with the downtime, might be a while.
Lt. Commander
# 10
01-13-2010, 10:54 PM
I'm on ubuntu 9.10 x64 with wine 1.1.35. I got the client installed, even though the installer seemed to hang for minutes then jump 20% forward. I can get to the login screen and log in just fine, but the next page has a blank area where the patch notes must go, and an empty drop down box beneath that. I can see an 'Engage' button, but clicking it does nothing. Clicking 'Options' brings me to a white screen. I have to break out of wine to quit the client, seeing this as an error:

Quote:
C*** glibc detected *** Star Trek Online.exe: corrupted double-linked list: 0x7d3b42e0 ***
======= Backtrace: =========
/lib32/libc.so.6[0xf7582cc1]
/lib32/libc.so.6[0xf7584599]
/lib32/libc.so.6(cfree+0x6d)[0xf758749d]
/usr/lib32/libGLcore.so.1[0x7abb48b1]
======= Memory map: ========
err:seh:raise_exception Unhandled exception code 80000101 flags 1 addr 0xf77ee430
Has anyone gotten this working successfully?
Closed Thread