Lt. Commander
# 11
01-12-2010, 11:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadShok
I'm wondering does anybody have this problem on a 32bit system?
Am running on 32Bit Win 7 - Fatal Error: Error decompressing data

Tried removing hoggs (specifically texture & texture2 as ths is how far the logs got to in one instance), main game client, am going to try the manifest file now to see if that helps.

Also downloading completely new OB client "Star_Trek_OB_ST_0_20100108a_dd.zip" from Direct2Drive, although I suspect after downloading this I'll be presented with another 3-5GB patch to download..

We'll see..

There are numerous threads al pointing towards this same "Read error wrong number of bytes" and sadly some of them are being asked to update their graphics drivers? Go figure...

Am more than happy to point a finger at some issue generated due to the 20091228 to current version update path, but no official response is slightly frustrating after the inordinately long download times I've endured since the weekend.

Having said all of that.. It is a beta.. But still...
Lt. Commander
# 12
01-12-2010, 11:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by badbal View Post
From what i remember from CO (I did not have this problem, but others did).

People needed to run the client in Administrative mode (if they had a Vista machine).
(right click the program .exe file, brings up a context menu, should be an option to "Run as" underneath)

Since i am completely unfamiliar with Win7, i couldn't say.

But Vista users had a heck of a time with this problem.
Just gave this a try, didnt seem to help, however the error change slightly, now just said fatal error, (did not give the unique error # as it did before) also tried compatibility options in the file properties.
As another note I have User Account Control totally disabled
Lt. Commander
# 13
01-12-2010, 11:40 AM
I am running Vista x64, 12 Meg, i7 920, 2 GTX 285's all drivers up to date
Running as admin made no difference though, still got booted the moment I hit "Next" after choosing career.
Lt. Commander
# 14
01-12-2010, 01:54 PM
I reinstalled from a new download (the official torrent) and re patched and now am able to login
Lt. Commander
# 15
01-12-2010, 02:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadShok
There is another thread about this problem and we have a person in there that downloaded from the official download page yesterday, so I'm guessing that we are ok with our download site, however I am downloading as we speak from the offical torrent, 3MB/sec so hopefully it finishes soon and I'll know for sure.

I did ask the other thread to post specs, so far only one responded. We both have Win7 x64, he has latest ATI drivers, I have latest Nvidia, so...

I'm wondering does anybody have this problem on a 32bit system?

That was me that spent 24hrs downloading with this problem! Have also tried (as recommended by Cryptic) removing a file and allowing the launcher to re-patch...and am now trying to load as admisistrator as someone else suggested.....

The next clever suggestion from cryptic is to redo the download.....ermm...sounds like guess work to me!! Instead of waiting another 24hrs to download from their official site (not preordered with D2D and not paying for fileplanet) i'll wait 24hrs for them to speed the hamsters up and fix the glitch

good luck all and remember this is beta not launch...I'd rather this happened now than launch day!!
Lt. Commander
# 16
01-12-2010, 02:10 PM
Same error here :O(
Lt. Commander
# 17
01-12-2010, 03:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleHerby
Am running on 32Bit Win 7 - Fatal Error: Error decompressing data
Also downloading completely new OB client "Star_Trek_OB_ST_0_20100108a_dd.zip" from Direct2Drive, although I suspect after downloading this I'll be presented with another 3-5GB patch to download..

We'll see..
Ok.. and now we see... Attempts at partial file removals and forced verifications consistantly failed.

Following the upgrade path from 20091228 client download to 20100108 appears to have been the problem, atleast for me.

Fresh download of 20100108a version (specifically Direct2Drive version for me), complete uninstall of previous version, and then subsequent launcher patch to 'rev b'..... works.

Just incase that last bit was missed...

It Works.

Now to experience what the rest of the forum is commenting on

Edit: If no-one else posts to confirm - I can let you know I am currently on the USS Khitomer
Lt. Commander
# 18
01-12-2010, 03:40 PM
Can anyone else verify this before I uninstall all of it and redo all that downloading?