Lt. Commander
# 11
01-12-2010, 03:54 PM
This has nothing to do with the servers - this has to do with Satellite's fair act policy. Satellite is throttling the bandwidth usage of users and if you want to download STO in a short period of time you need to exceed 500kb/s for a few hours (1mb/s still takes a couple of hours). That will activate Satellite's fair act policy and cause them to throttle or shut down the internet. This has to do with file size.

Also, what snark? What attitude? The Dev gave a straight answer without any of the flowery word ******** that normally accompanies it. He answered directly and gave clear information. There was no snark or attitude.

Finally, this is the first few HOURS of the first DAY of a TWO WEEK "open" beta. Chill out and relax. Betas are intended to stress servers and do all sorts of buggy testing. Betas are not meant to be your time to play the game before everyone else and brag. There will be slow times. There will be bugs. There will be server crashes and kicks. That is why it is called a BETA. Unless you have nothing else better to do than sit around playing a beta of a game - you won't even save your stuff, either, so this is essentially pointless - stop complaining.
Lt. Commander
# 12
01-12-2010, 04:18 PM
Well, that was certainly- oh, wait, I'm sorry. That wasn't helpful or constructive at all.

The fact that Cryptic's servers are buckling under the number of people trying to access this game isn't some collective hallucination everyone's having: Cryptic themselves are acknowledging that both downloads of the beta client and attempts to log into the game itself are meeting with major problems due to the volume of people now interested in participating in this beta. All well and good, except that Cryptic's responses give the impression that they had no way of anticipating this surge of interest which is, if you'll pardon my bluntness, a pile. Cryptic specifically advertised participation in this beta as a reason to preorder the game. I'm sure they have statistics on how many people have preordered, so they must have had at least a vague idea of how many people were going to be logging on when this thing opened. I don't think it's out of line to ask why they didn't at least have another server or two open.

And for all the people saying, "It's a beta! Don't you idiots know what a beta is?" Yes, I know what a beta is. But if you're going to advertise this thing all over creation (I saw posters encouraging preorders to participate in the open beta as early as November), you ought to be prepared for the volume of people you're going to get, and you ought to be prepared to deal with a lot of irritated people who don't know all the ins and outs of beta testing. If that's not something you can do, hey, fine. Just don't advertise the open beta as part of a preorder package for the game. When people have already shelled out money, even a relatively small amount of money, the expect stuff to work as advertised. Cryptic should have been able to see this one coming, and it's the fact that they couldn't/didn't that makes me wonder.

Quote:
Also, what snark? What attitude? The Dev gave a straight answer without any of the flowery word ******** that normally accompanies it. He answered directly and gave clear information. There was no snark or attitude.
You're kidding, right? The dev didn't give an answer at all. A straight answer would have been, "Sorry, the beta files aren't available on CD. Try X for a download that better suits your IP situation." Instead, he condescendingly informed us that yes, there is a way to get the game on a DVD... by buying it on 2/2. Wow, thanks! We had no idea! He was obviously aware that we know where to get the official release, but he completely ignored the complaints and questions regarding the beta in favor of being snide. You're entitled to your opinion, of course, but yeah, that response from someone representing Cryptic, especially in light of all the issues people are having with this beta, was rude.
Lt. Commander
# 13
01-12-2010, 04:36 PM
That was not condescending in any way whatsoever. His answer did two things:

1. Informed everyone that there was no DVD version currently available.
2. Informed everyone that there will be a DVD version available for the retail release.

He did not insult, degrade, make fun of, use a sarcastic tone on, or otherwise attempt to insinuate stupidity of the person he was answering.

--

Cryptic also advertised pre-order benefits like the Collector's Edition set of physical items and guest passes, the multiple pre-order bonuses that happen at retail release (that is a common practice in other games) for different stores, and the head start. The "beta participation" is by far the least useful of all the pre-order bonuses. If you pre-ordered the game specifically to play a buggy, slow version that won't have any effect on your actual playing time whatsoever, you shafted yourself.
Lt. Commander
# 14
01-12-2010, 05:02 PM
Quote:
He did not insult, degrade, make fun of, use a sarcastic tone on, or otherwise attempt to insinuate stupidity of the person he was answering.
Sorry, but I disagree. Stating something as mindblowingly obvious as, "You can get the game on DVD when it's released on 2/2" isn't being helpful or answering the original question (which was about the beta client, not the official release), it's being deliberately condescending. Do you really think that the OP wasn't aware that if he purchased the official game on 2/2, he could do so by going into a store and buying it on a DVD? C'mon.

Quote:
If you pre-ordered the game specifically to play a buggy, slow version that won't have any effect on your actual playing time whatsoever, you shafted yourself.
If all I cared about was leveling up as quickly as possible, then maybe so, but that's not the only thing on my mind. And I notice that you don't actually bother to address the fact that by advertising this beta thing so heavily, Cryptic made their own bed here. Random people preordering this thing at Best Buy or Gamestop or wherever aren't necessarily going to know all of the ins and outs of beta testing, and they're not likely to care much about them, either. All they see are, "Play SFO early!" and putting down their money. Cryptic was [i]counting[i] on that- why else would they bother advertising the open beta as a "perk" of preordering in the first place? It wasn't as if this was listed as just some incidental thing; there were posters all over Best Buy as early as November advertising the open beta. Given that, I'd think that Cryptic could have seen this surge of interest coming (and really, don't they get statistics about the number of preorders?) and acted accordingly, but it's pretty clear from most of the posts on this forum that they didn't.

Anyway, it's pretty obvious that we're not going to agree on this, so there's probably not much point in continuing this back and forth. You think that Cryptic are doing a bang-up job, and I disagree. It is what it is.
Lt. Commander
# 15
01-12-2010, 05:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sargun View Post
Finally, this is the first few HOURS of the first DAY of a TWO WEEK "open" beta. Chill out and relax. Betas are intended to stress servers and do all sorts of buggy testing. Betas are not meant to be your time to play the game before everyone else and brag. There will be slow times. There will be bugs. There will be server crashes and kicks. That is why it is called a BETA. Unless you have nothing else better to do than sit around playing a beta of a game - you won't even save your stuff, either, so this is essentially pointless - stop complaining.
You obviously fail to realize that other people are complaining because the open beta was a HUGE part of the preorder promotion. What better way to get acquainted with the game than playing it before it comes out? We understand there will be errors and bugs and slow times, as well as times that we will be unable to connect, but the fact that it takes days to download the actual beta client, and at that speed, is simply unacceptable. Just from the first day of download catastrophe, how many people have probably thrown their hands up and said f*** it?

You can't even use the Head Start because it requires the beta client. And by the time some people download the client successfully, it will be time to pick up their copy at the retail store anyway. FaustianSlip is right in posting everything that has been stated because it reflects poorly on Cryptic. Any grade school kid could see that if you promote something heavily, you should logically expect more of a turnout, so logically you should make it easier to dowload the client.

Sargun is right that the dev guy did state information - that is obvious and not helpful at all. They probably realized there was a hemmorage of dissatisfied people on the forums and delegated the low guy on the totem pole to stem the tide.

The fact is that they can't solve it now, it's too late. They failed to take basic steps BEFORE beta, to ensure that this didn't happen. Not only are people frustrated about this, but it brings doubt about the final product.

Bottom line - Cryptic is retarded for not expecting a huge demand for a Star Trek IP MMO to finally launch, let alone promote the heck out of it before hand, while not having sufficient means to download the client.
Lt. Commander
# 16
01-12-2010, 05:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FaustianSlip
Anyway, it's pretty obvious that we're not going to agree on this, though, so there's probably not much point in continuing this back and forth. You think that Cryptic are doing a bang-up job, and I disagree. It is what it is.
I don't believe Cryptic are doing a bang-up job. I acknowledge the fact that Cryptic is a company. I also acknowledge the fact that advertising rarely tells the full truth. I'm just not that angry that a beta isn't going as smooth as it possibly could.
Lt. Commander
wow i never thought this question would get so much attention. I don't appriciate being talked down to like the cryptic person kinda did I took offense by that i'm not stupid and i did buy the blasted game but i did buy it for 2 reasons the game itself and to play it early. It's not my fault cryptic dropped the ball by over estimating the public love for star trek. In fact i'm a senior member to Everquest to and have been there since launch and have never been talked to like that from SONY. I'm wondering if i should cancel my copy till i get an appology since it is my hard earned money i am giving them. Yes my internet sucks but i have don't everything everone has told me. Go to a place with better internet. Did that and the download is still at 0. It's not the other places ISP I know we checked. Plus my computer is at a computer repair shop using their business cable internet which they get almost 300.00 kbps download speed. I'm not at all impressed at attitude or service let alone customer service. Most Cryptic people have been nice about my questions. I just think the one that talked bad towards this post needs a nap or doesn't feel good and needs to go home and rest. the stress is too much for them at the moment. The way I look at this is it may be a free look into the game early but I have paid for services not rendering and i would like some respect since it's not my fault. And I'm not taking the phrase it's only money lightly. so when cryptic wants to take things differently great i'll be waiting.
Lt. Commander
# 18
01-12-2010, 06:08 PM
I'm sorry I find this super funny. Like very very funny. I'm sorry that you guys have bad internet-but how is that Cryptics fault? I've been playing Betas since Everquest, this is pretty smooth. Sure the file is big and its a pain-sure a dvd would be nice, but if you would have asked and paypal(ed) me money for a DVD I would have happily copied my zipped file for you to enjoy-and I'm sure there are many here that would. I understand some people have net that takes a long time to dowload or can't download because of bandwith issues-this is why you have friends or family that DONT have this issue just download the zip FOR you and burn over. If you have no family or friends that can do that-then you just have to wait. Not missing much anyway, we play for 20mins get D/C'd then have to come back in.

If you don't like that Cyrpic "lied" to you about being able to play beta (which they didn't they can't control your computer or download speed), cancel your pre-order and wait for it. Feb 2nd isn't that far away.

Edit: There is more than one place to DL it. Dont like the Downloader? Use Torrent. Dont like Torrent? Use Filefront. I was dl at 700kb/s from Filefront when I broke down and paid 5bucks for the membership. I was DL at over 100kb/s with the torrent.
Lt. Commander
# 19
01-12-2010, 06:12 PM
Quote:
I'm sorry that you guys have bad internet-but how is that Cryptics fault?
The fact that I'm having way more trouble downloading the beta client than I have downloading anything else indicates to me that it's probably not my internet connection that's the problem. I can't speak for the OP, though in some countries, download caps are increasingly common, and to me, it makes sense to consider that if you're a company trying to market a game internationally. But that's just me.

But yes, Cryptic is as pure and blameless as the baby Jesus, and all of the issues people are having are a mass hallucination. Carry on.
Lt. Commander
# 20
01-12-2010, 06:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FaustianSlip
The fact that I'm having way more trouble downloading the beta client than I have downloading anything else indicates to me that it's probably not my internet connection that's the problem. I can't speak for the OP, though in some countries, download caps are increasingly common, and to me, it makes sense to consider that if you're a company trying to market a game internationally. But that's just me.

But yes, Cryptic is as pure and blameless as the baby Jesus, and all of the issues people are having are a mass hallucination. Carry on.
Download the Torrent, or Download the file from Filefront. Problem solved.
Remember people who dont even have a key are downloading the file just to have it.

Never said Cryptic was blameless-I just siad the fact that some people have caps on internet speed or usage isn't Cryptics fault.

Also wait for it.... here it comes..... This is a...... BETA!!!! :-p
Every MMO I've played in the Beta Stage (WoW, STO, EQ1/2, COH) Has had issues in beta stage, I'm actually suprised I've gotten to play at all today.