Lt. Commander
# 11
01-12-2010, 05:49 PM
I'm sorry for your situation, but this is not a release. Your expectations are wrong, not the game.

It's still testing, you are simply welcome to take part in it. By launch, everything will be up to standard or Cryptic will be in serious trouble.

They've handled two MMO launches before (three?) they know what they are doing.

Give it until the 29th for the early start, or the 2nd for the offical, and everything will be what you expect.
Lt. Commander
# 12
01-12-2010, 05:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FaustianSlip
I had the same experience with FilePlanet. Glacial download speeds (I'm talking in the range of 10kb/sec). I opted to shell out the money for a one-month subscription, and now I'm getting around 80kb/sec. It's still hardly mindblowing, but quite a bit better than before- hopefully it'll be done tomorrow or early Thursday. By then, enough people will have probably gotten fed up and left that I'll actually be able to get on! I wish I'd known about TTH, or I would have gone there.

I'm a big Trek fan, and I really, really wanted this to be a great game, but I'm starting to doubt it after all of these issues, not to mention some of the "support" I've seen offered by Cryptic devs on this board. Hopefully I'm wrong.
Don't worry, the game is good and all of this unpleasantness is related to the beta (though expect it to last a few days after release, too, though perhaps not as intense).

And fileplanet is not related to Cryptic, it's just a site they chose to link to as it's easy to upload stuff. Fileplanet has always, and will always suck (though I pay for a sub so I guess I'm part of the problem. I do it for the beta keys).

There are alternatives to fileplanet, including the torrent.
Lt. Commander
# 13
01-12-2010, 05:55 PM
Im Ashmed!! pronounced (Ash-meed)
Lt. Commander
# 14
01-12-2010, 06:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinworm
Don't worry, the game is good and all of this unpleasantness is related to the beta (though expect it to last a few days after release, too, though perhaps not as intense).
Oh, I would have been (pleasantly) shocked if these issues weren't still ongoing immediately after the release. Meh. That said, I think Cryptic was stupid for not planning for this, given the advertising blitz they've done at places like Best Buy and GameStop. But it's nice to hear that the game itself is good.

Quote:
And fileplanet is not related to Cryptic, it's just a site they chose to link to as it's easy to upload stuff.
Yeah, I did know that- FilePlanet's issues are one thing I won't blame on Cryptic (except maybe the decision to release the beta through them instead of someone else), but I only went there when neither the torrent nor the direct download were yielding any results at all. The torrent had hardly any seeders when I tried it yesterday, and even when it started showing seeders, it was moving really slowly. It may have had something to do with my port forwarding, but seriously, there's only so much work I'm willing to do in order to download this thing. FP, sad as it is, seemed like it was going to be the path of least resistance.
Lt. Commander
# 15
01-12-2010, 06:04 PM
I agree with FaustianSlip, it still would be nice to be on the Beta right now.
Lt. Commander
# 16
01-12-2010, 06:08 PM
So trident10, how was your File Planet download corrupted? Was it missing the launcher or other files, or did it just not install?
Lt. Commander
# 17
01-12-2010, 06:17 PM
My Fileplanet download went like this, it was at 88% when I went to fix a salad, then I returned to my computer after a deal or no deal rerun and on my screen it said. "this file has been corrupted or terminated" and nothing else was, just a click screen, I was very sad then drank a Mt. Dew and went to Atomicgamer to try that download. It is at 943MB and speed is 161kb/sec
Lt. Commander
# 18
01-12-2010, 06:47 PM
FILEPLANET IS A SCAM! Seriously. Most downloads from their are corrupted somehow. Worst $7 you spent. Cryptic should have made sure there were decently seeded torrents and most of us would have had the game yesterday. All of these "partners" cryptic promotes are just trying to skim some money off of you for providing a service that is avaiable for free. And all I ever hear are horror stories when crap like steam tries to install files or wants to redownload the entire game. Torrents are always your best bet. And its much easier to redownload corrupted portions.
Lt. Commander
# 19
01-12-2010, 06:56 PM
Thank you Chenchuan, and i agree with you and if this Atomicgamer dosnt work I'll try the Torrent.
Lt. Commander
# 20
01-12-2010, 06:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexraptor View Post
Cryptic has not charged anyone a cent.
The beta access via fileplanet is a perk for subscribers, your not actually buying access to the open beta.
I respectfully do not agree. Open beta access as well as other perks were included to sell more copies of the game - and even sell more expensive copies. Many paid and pre-ordered with that understanding - because that is what they were told and cryptic never disagreed (even after responding to questions about it).