Login

Notices

Lt. Commander
# 11
01-12-2010, 07:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by shelburt View Post
I disagree.

If it were early Beta, fair enough. But the game is due to launch in a few weeks, and I would have thought that these obvious points would have been addressed, having played several Beta's, such as WoW and Eve.

Thanks
Actually, they have been adressed... in CB. Alot of the issues seen in CB seem to have crept back into OB. However, i'm sure they know exactly what is causing some of these issues as they have had to revert back a little on the patching.

I think that today was a major success for a first day in OB. I'm not sure what gives you the idea that WoW and EvE were flawless even at release LOL... I remember otherwise. Could they be false memories?

Just my 2 cents...
Cheers,
Lt. Commander
# 12
01-12-2010, 07:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteppenRazor
Wow and Eve have been out forever... they have had lots of bugs and many, many annoying issues. Even now EvE is having disconnect problems.... LOL

1. Must be your computer... mine seemed prety darned smooth.
2. It's quite easy to fly... actually, i kind of like it. How the hell can you compare EvE (there is no controlls...???)
4. Again, must be your computer, never took mine more than 5 seconds to change ANY setting.
5. Sensor range?
6. Yes, i have to agree... at the moment, it is.
7. Yes but even now EvE is having similar issues for about 5 months now.
8. I agree 100%... flying thru rocks just struck me as odd, and firing through them/bulkheads.
10. It's the same in EvE

Bottom line... this game is gonna rock in a few weeks.

I Love it! Thank you Cryptic. Can't wait for the patch
Oh dear. You seem to be taking my comments very personally. As per my earlier post:
I'm aware it's Beta. Unfortunately, it is you who seem to be forgetting something. The whole point of Beta, to allow users to TEST the application, and provide CONSTRUCTIVE feedback to ASSIST with the development of the game. I've spent over an hour making notes, and providing the devs in order to provide the devs with some useful data.

What would happen if NO ONE wrote any comments and feedback? The game would go live with bugs.

If I didn't care about the game, and wasn't excited about it, I wouldn't be providing the feedback. Also, please note that I provided both pros AND cons.

It really is pointless and unconstructive of people to post 'BUT IT'S BETA!' to every comment or critique people make. YES, it's Beta. YES, I know what a Beta is. What's the point in having a Beta if no one provides feedback?

And I disagree that comparing the game to games 5 years out of the box is unfair. It means that STO has an advantage, in that it's easy to use these games as a template for a winning formula.
Lt. Commander
# 13
01-12-2010, 07:30 PM
First off.... its OPEN BETA... they have people working 7 days a week on this game.

Second off... WoW on patch day, is a wreck a lot of times. WoW is how old again?

Last thought.... its in open beta, give them time... it cannot be an easy task to program such a game.
Lt. Commander
# 14
01-12-2010, 07:33 PM
I think your assessment was fair. You listed some good points in the con section.

I think the fact that the game is so close to release adds some validity to your concerns and I share them. But I also think that while the game is in Beta testing, it is to early to fairly judge. Re-evaluate during launch. But making your points known is a good start for the devs to track where the game is lacking.

For me, it is the terrible connection issues. It takes 4-8 minutes for me to log in to the game...add a few more to load on to a map. Then the d/c's are annoying. The stability issues here were always my chief concern. They have to get that nailed down before launch.

Otherwise, so far I am enjoying the game. I have completed a few episodes and did my first fleet map at Starbase 24. However, once I beamed on to the starbase I got booted - but that was due to the maintenance. Space combat has been fun for me and the skills have been great. Character creation was okay - nothing major, it was simply good for a start. I expect it to be better as time goes on though.

Keep in mind too that we are running around learning as we go with no manual or anything. The tutorial is okay, but there is soooo much it does not seem to cover. And following the chat gives me a headache. To many people and the box, unless I enlarge it, is totally unfriendly to the eyes.
Lt. Commander
# 15
01-12-2010, 07:38 PM
I think most reviews should be held off until the last couple of days of open beta, not the first day. It's not so much that it's Beta so much as its day 1 of an open beta. If it's the same on say day 12 of Open Beta, then the review would worth discussing.
Lt. Commander
# 16
01-12-2010, 07:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyg316 View Post
I think your assessment was fair. You listed some good points in the con section.

I think the fact that the game is so close to release adds some validity to your concerns and I share them. But I also think that while the game is in Beta testing, it is to early to fairly judge. Re-evaluate during launch. But making your points known is a good start for the devs to track where the game is lacking.

For me, it is the terrible connection issues. It takes 4-8 minutes for me to log in to the game...add a few more to load on to a map. Then the d/c's are annoying. The stability issues here were always my chief concern. They have to get that nailed down before launch.

Otherwise, so far I am enjoying the game. I have completed a few episodes and did my first fleet map at Starbase 24. However, once I beamed on to the starbase I got booted - but that was due to the maintenance. Space combat has been fun for me and the skills have been great. Character creation was okay - nothing major, it was simply good for a start. I expect it to be better as time goes on though.

Keep in mind too that we are running around learning as we go with no manual or anything. The tutorial is okay, but there is soooo much it does not seem to cover. And following the chat gives me a headache. To many people and the box, unless I enlarge it, is totally unfriendly to the eyes.
Thank you SO much for the support. I can't believe the hostile reception I've had on here, for nothing more than spending time writing some construcive feedback, in order to be helpful to the developers - ultimately to assist with making the game better.

I don't think people have even read the pros, or understood the intent behind it.

've now experienced what it's like to be well and truly flamed!, and if this is what the STO community will be like, then this is the most offputting thing about the game to me now.
Lt. Commander
# 17
01-12-2010, 07:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by shelburt View Post
Oh dear. You seem to be taking my comments very personally. As per my earlier post:
I'm aware it's Beta. Unfortunately, it is you who seem to be forgetting something. The whole point of Beta, to allow users to TEST the application, and provide CONSTRUCTIVE feedback to ASSIST with the development of the game. I've spent over an hour making notes, and providing the devs in order to provide the devs with some useful data.

What would happen if NO ONE wrote any comments and feedback? The game would go live with bugs.

If I didn't care about the game, and wasn't excited about it, I wouldn't be providing the feedback. Also, please note that I provided both pros AND cons.

It really is pointless and unconstructive of people to post 'BUT IT'S BETA!' to every comment or critique people make. YES, it's Beta. YES, I know what a Beta is. What's the point in having a Beta if no one provides feedback?

And I disagree that comparing the game to games 5 years out of the box is unfair. It means that STO has an advantage, in that it's easy to use these games as a template for a winning formula.
No my dear, nothing personal... just stating it as i see it from my side. That is all.
Lt. Commander
# 18
01-12-2010, 07:49 PM
given the fact its a open beta, there is bound to be issues. the same was said about WoW, however people have bad memories about how buggy WoW was. as far as the animations the animations are a bit more complex in this game, as with WOW character animations though smooth, are far from complex. Once again it goes back to WoW being over 4 years old, even with content patches, WoW is notorious for being buggy after content patches. So it all goes back to giving cryptic time to sort the issues out from the help of the beta testers and see what has to be sorted out and fixed.

So far my only gripe is the huge instancing, and the moderate lag but that can associated with server stressing so that is a common side effect of open betas.

Gameplay is fun, engaging, interesting.

Ground missions allow you up close and personal with other enemies such as klingons, ferengi, orions, and im sure later on, romulans, dominion etc So far Ive liked the Mission stories such as "stranded in space" or saving SS azhura.

Space combat is both simple but equally complex requiring timing on your orientation to other ships, constant checking of your shields and making sure they are kept up, utilizing your engineer and science officers to full tilt. I should know I had to take out 2 maraurder battleships, and almost got my self destroyed had only 7% hull left but managed to pull through and destroy one of them before I was logged off due the server being patched.

there are obvious rough edges, but given the state and quality of the gameplay and what you have to do to win a ship battle, I think this game has alot of potential. I was initially unimpressed and thought I wouldnt buy this game, but I tried the pre order figured id give a go, so far so good, very impressed with the game overall ( other than the instancing but im willing to over look that if things turn good as they are so far).

but in the end its a beta, its meant to have bugs and issues the developers cant find or discover on their own. keep an open mind, do your "job" lol and the game will be better for it.

also remember wow is not the end all be all. its fun, and can be engaging but it also has its faults. To use WoW as the "template" of what a MMO should be makes you sadly mistaken and misinformed individual.
Lt. Commander
# 19 i am missing somthing
01-12-2010, 07:50 PM
well as the title reads "Im missing somthing"

when did STO say they wanted to be like wow or eve i mean STO is STO Period. the problem is people keep compareing this game to eve and wow and its kind of understandble because those are the games to compare to if any BUT these are the games you are trying to get away from because of how they play out. personaly i think saying this isnt as good as wow or that isnt as good as eve means you should just go back to wow or just go back to eve if you dont like it i mean im not trying to be an ass or anything im just saying get over the fact that this isnt Wow OR Eve sry just wanted to put in my thoughts on this topic
Lt. Commander
# 20
01-12-2010, 07:50 PM
This..

"9) The science officer of my ship addresses me as 'Callandra' - my first name. This is very informal - surely she should address me as my rank (Ensign?)"

Contradicts this.

"3) Being in the Star Trek universe!"

In many of the shows and movies the Captain grows into a first name relationship with certain members of his crew. Granted, it's only beta and you shouldn't be that close yet. :p