Go Back   Star Trek Online > Support > Gameplay Bug Reports
Login

Notices

Lt. Commander
# 21
01-12-2010, 07:56 PM
Actually the concept of space and ground combat in the same game isn't new.

Look up a game called earth and beyond and see the original pilgrim of such vision.

-------------------

Pros are:

Simple learning curve.
Great graphics for low requirements.
easy navigation and time sync management.
seeing the "dps" of weapons u loot.

Cons:
Laggy with more than 12 people in a zone.
the interface is bulky and overly bordery too much interface not enough everything else.
skill system is very hazy on how to progress down a tree / or what exactly things do/will work into.
quests are shaddy in their explanations and navigating the newb starbase is all sorts of awkward (more signs and directions plz)

On a personal note:

i don't like the fact officers share a skill point pool and not a single pool per officer (poor starting officer we pick gets shafted he should be the most experienced) More info and tutorial on how to advance your officers / upgrade them / give them new skills / etc... would be very nice.

Seems like they show u how to upgrade ur ship / items / and pilot but htye don't show u much on how to work your skills or officers. I would like more detail of this in the tutorial. the information given by the current NPC's isn't much to go on.
Lt. Commander
# 22
01-12-2010, 07:56 PM
"Summary: Buggy, rough around the edges, and no where near as polished as WoW or Eve. "

OMG those game shave been out how long? STO hassnt even been released yet.
Lt. Commander
# 23
01-12-2010, 08:01 PM
Shelbert, great review.

I too agree with most of your assessments.

And to those of you saying that this is beta, or this not EvE, or this is not WoW: these are the games that STO must attempt to market to for competition. Although to some extent I agree, being in a beta phase requires some amount of patience. However, patience and BS aside. The game has to try to compete in a very well saturated market. And to release a game that has too many issues such as overwhelming lag, random disconnects, "clunky" graphics, non-intuitive interfaces, or other things that might hurt it, can also dissuade many potential and possible customers, whom are accustomed to an easier to use interface, less clunky graphics, or intuitive gameplay.

These dynamics are well honed in games like WoW, EvE, and many others. Sure, their advantage is that they've been on the market for much longer. But this is no excuse for the up-and-comming new game. This excuse wears thin, especially when people turn their backs on it in favor of a system that does work well with fewer headaches.

If you aspire to play with the big boys in the genre of MMOs then you have got to be prepared for this.

-avery
Lt. Commander
# 24
01-12-2010, 08:05 PM
The original poster here brings up some VERY good points and OPINIONS, and should not be attacked for either in my opinion. He is making honest, fair assessments of the game as he sees it. Many MMOs are GREAT ON PAPER but when the servers come up just fail to deliver based on development time / polish / or a number of other issues.

One thing I will say though, is that I have beta tested many games, and many of the SERVER problems can be fixed in a short time. Problems such as server crashes can be fixed right before launch. Its the gameplay / content issues that you wonder about though with just a few weeks left.

I only played the beta for about 2 hours before the servers went down, and I REALLY LIKED IT!! One thing that I DISAGREE with the original poster about is the space combat. I really like the space combat, (at least 2 hours in that is.)

But either way, there are plenty of posters on this forum that have strong criticism of the game that are NOT CONSTRUCTIVE, but this poster is not one of them. Go attack the "I HATE YOU CRIPTIC!!" type posters instead.
Lt. Commander
# 25
01-12-2010, 08:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valxen View Post
This..

"9) The science officer of my ship addresses me as 'Callandra' - my first name. This is very informal - surely she should address me as my rank (Ensign?)"

Contradicts this.

"3) Being in the Star Trek universe!"

In many of the shows and movies the Captain grows into a first name relationship with certain members of his crew. Granted, it's only beta and you shouldn't be that close yet. :p
i agree, plus the fact that that the "new" captain not long ago was in the mud with the rest of the grunts so it wouldnt be that much of a surprise if they were on first name basis
Lt. Commander
# 26
01-12-2010, 08:12 PM
Wow are alot of you taking a fairly objective view of his first few hours in OB personally, i happen to agree with most of what he says except the unsmooth grafix that i think is a combination of the ATI problem and his system specs. But he is dead on there is alot of room for improvement especially in the Login and and communal area servers.

It would be nice if the ship turned away from the planet before warping out of system and i am sure it is something that will be addressed eventually as it is really a minor bug.

I remember playing the WoW CB and OB and i can tell you that so far STO is smoother than that was...barely, IMO the space combat is damn near perfect i have not run into a single issue so far(which is what puts it ahead of the WoW OB).
Lt. Commander
# 27
01-12-2010, 08:14 PM
How can you compare a game in Open Beta, to games that have been running for 5+ years? I think that is absurd. I actually didn't notice a lot of the technical issues you're referring to, like animation slowness, or ship maneuverability. I have played EVE for a few years now and it is a much different game, there is a lot more to it than this. If your looking for EVE skinned to look like Star Trek, this is not the game you want at all.

As for the thing about changing graphics options causing black screens. WoW might not cause a black screen all the time, but certainly have changed settings and then had to stare at frozen screen for a few minutes while it figures what to do. It is not uncommon for a game to blank the screen for some time in order to update your settings.

I think everyone needs to relax with the criticisms now, and either help beta test the game, or just sit stew until it launches next month.
Lt. Commander
# 28
01-12-2010, 08:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by titustetricus View Post
How can you compare a game in Open Beta, to games that have been running for 5+ years? I think that is absurd. I actually didn't notice a lot of the technical issues you're referring to, like animation slowness, or ship maneuverability. I have played EVE for a few years now and it is a much different game, there is a lot more to it than this. If your looking for EVE skinned to look like Star Trek, this is not the game you want at all.

As for the thing about changing graphics options causing black screens. WoW might not cause a black screen all the time, but certainly have changed settings and then had to stare at frozen screen for a few minutes while it figures what to do. It is not uncommon for a game to blank the screen for some time in order to update your settings.

I think everyone needs to relax with the criticisms now, and either help beta test the game, or just sit stew until it launches next month.
It's also absurd to think that the average MMO will have a snowballs chance in hell, when it has to compete with games like WoW, or EvE, when they have a product that is not nearly as polished as those titles. No the game shouldn't be like WoW or EvE, it should be better. And if programmers and designers and engineers actually spent time playing games like that, and then trying to figure out ways to improve upon those systems and taking those systems weaknesses to their avantage, they could leave those MMO's in the dust. Instead... most MMOs always have to learn from their own mistakes.

The problem is that of comparisons. There really isn't much out there to base a honest decent comparison on other than those names simply because they HAVE been around for so long. So.. my point earlier, and still is the same. You have to look at those models, and build a better mousetrap. Especially if you intend to try to even compete with them. If your game has so many issues that it renders it nearly unplayable, then you need to really take a look at the issues you have and think seriously about pushing back your release dates.

Even if you're not competing eye-to-eye with those other games, you at least have to raise your level of production and refined game elements to an acceptible level that can meet the basic expectations of the players that might come from those games. That's the pitfall of creating any MMO today. Is to attempt to at least meet the people's basic expectations. Excuses like "this is beta", everything always starts "clunky", there are always problems. Are not going to cut it as we move further into 21st century, because the client base is fickle, and the market for MMO's keeps expanding exponentially. Either you meet the expectations from the very beginning, or suffer losses before the game gets out of the starting gate.

-avery
Lt. Commander
# 29
01-12-2010, 08:34 PM
I am testing this on 2 machines, my fast work machine and my sloooow single core p4 at home. There is a tremendous world of difference in performance. (obviously) At home, the graphics are horrendous, but the game play is not too terribly bad, except when crowding occurs. Starship combat is not bad, I would like a more responsive helm, but it is acceptable. Runs great at work

I dislike the excessive instancing, it feels too much like Guild Wars. The lag and performance would be far worse if there was less instancing.

It's not a bad game, needs more polish and refinements, but that's what the beta is for.

I think people's expectations are a bit too high, most people are looking at this as a demo, and its not. This is our chance to help improve the game, by providing good feedback.

Pros:
Good looking game (on a decent PC)
No grind
Variety of other things

Cons:
Excessive use of instancing (hopefully will get phased out over time)
Frequent disconnects on attempts to leave instanced areas
A few buggy quests so far
Many tweaks that should have been done prior to open beta.

Personally, I would put off release for another month or so for refinements.