Lt. Commander
# 11
01-13-2010, 10:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beknatok View Post
This strikes me as rather suspicious, and I would strongly advise that you investigate your home's electrical system. While STO is a rather intense game and made your system kick into overdrive, I would speculate that something else (not STO) external would have caused not one but two power supplies to blow.

While the symptom happened to be the same game, I would speculate that any super-intensive app could have triggered the chain reaction that caused you to lose your power supply.

i can run anything on both computers, so i know they are not to blame.

i have never had any issues with any electrical problems in this apt the entire time we have moved here.

i was just playing half life2 and **** the other day also, so i know my systems can handle STO.
Lt. Commander
# 12
01-13-2010, 10:24 AM
Your wall power is faulty, check your fuses. Graphics cards and mobos are hardwired on the absolute amount of power they can demand/give. If your GPU was pulling enough power to blow your power supply the inside of your computer would be a smoldering ruin.
Lt. Commander
# 13
01-13-2010, 10:24 AM
My PSU blew not that long ago. Turned out the unit was only just about powerfull enough to run the PC and the ventilation to the unit was crappy. So at points where my PC had to do a fair a bit of work, BOOM! It went at a point in a game that i've been to plenty of times with no trouble before. I ended up getting a nice powerfull supply and have had no problems at all and i've also got one side off my machine because i'm now incredibly paranoid about overheating.

Just FYI my machine isn't that different to one of yours:

Quad core 4ghz - 9800GT 1gb - 4gb RAM - winXP

PS. having the side off my machine dropped the temp to my GPU, CPU and PSU dramatically
Lt. Commander
# 14
01-13-2010, 10:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemming64 View Post
yes but just because they play other older games fine doesn't mean it is sufficient wattage, the older games will not fully utilise GPU and CPU power as much as a brand new game will. I am not certain if those are enough wattage with the setup you have, but to be on the safe side you will probably want to get higher ones to replace. Also buy a surge protector in case you have an electrical problem at home in general.
they are both on surge protecters... BTW **** is not an older game lol
Lt. Commander
# 15
01-13-2010, 10:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by oicurdum View Post
one was a 500 watt, the other a 600 watt...they play other games like **** fine on max settings...
yes but just because they play other older games fine doesn't mean it is sufficient wattage, the older games will not fully utilise GPU and CPU power as much as a brand new game will. Half Life 2 is nearly 5 years old!

I am not certain if those are enough wattage with the setup you have, but to be on the safe side you will probably want to get higher ones to replace. Also buy a surge protector in case you have an electrical problem at home in general.
Lt. Commander
# 16
01-13-2010, 10:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by theCorvus
Your wall power is faulty, check your fuses. Graphics cards and mobos are hardwired on the absolute amount of power they can demand/give. If your GPU was pulling enough power to blow your power supply the inside of your computer would be a smoldering ruin.
this is an apt with breaker switches....the computers were on different outlets
Lt. Commander
# 17
01-13-2010, 10:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danaesyeira View Post
My PSU blew not that long ago. Turned out the unit was only just about powerfull enough to run the PC and the ventilation to the unit was crappy. So at points where my PC had to do a fair a bit of work, BOOM! It went at a point in a game that i've been to plenty of times with no trouble before. I ended up getting a nice powerfull supply and have had no problems at all and i've also got one side off my machine because i'm now incredibly paranoid about overheating.

Just FYI my machine isn't that different to one of yours:

Quad core 4ghz - 9800GT 1gb - 4gb RAM - winXP

PS. having the side off my machine dropped the temp to my GPU, CPU and PSU dramatically
i actually had the side off of my computer when it blew, the second one has plenty of air flow and all the fans are clean
Lt. Commander
# 18
01-13-2010, 10:28 AM
I knew I shouldnt have installed those Mk1 Disruptor beams on my ship yet.

Sorry...
Lt. Commander
# 19
01-13-2010, 10:28 AM
Dont know what to tell ya OP... with 500W I run just dandy and havent blown =/
Lt. Commander
# 20
01-13-2010, 10:29 AM
i would most defenitly check your electrical outlets. were you on a surge protector? if so was it old?