Go Back   Star Trek Online > Support > Gameplay Bug Reports
Login

Notices

Lt. Commander
# 11
01-13-2010, 08:55 AM
Wife is going to hate all of you guys now lol. Now to talk her into it lol. Whats the better way to go, with the ati card and use thier software to do this or buy the box?
Lt. Commander
# 12
01-13-2010, 09:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riyx
Wife is going to hate all of you guys now lol. Now to talk her into it lol. Whats the better way to go, with the ati card and use thier software to do this or buy the box?
I researched a lot of options when I started doing this. There's even third-party software out there to do a triple head configuration with two or more video cards, but I wouldn't recommend that (performance hit and all).

The Matrox device is nice in that you can use any video card with it (either with a dual-link DVI cable or analog D-sub). But it's limited by resolution. Matrox released a firmware update so it supports up to three 1680x1050 monitors now (was limited to 1280x1024 or 1440x900 monitors before). But that's still a limit. With the new ATI 5000 series video cards, the Eyefinity software doesn't necessarily have the same limitations.

Since you'll need a powerful video card to run this many pixels, I'd opt for the ATI 5970 and use Eyefinity software. At least that's what I'd use now if I was starting from scratch. Cheaper, easier, and less restrictions. The only drawback is that you'll have to run two monitors via the DVI connectors and one via the HDMI. But that works out well if you put the HDMI monitor in the middle so you can still use HDCP for BluRay playback.

My configuration is from early 2008, so I didn't have the ATI Eyefinity option then.
Lt. Commander
# 13
01-13-2010, 09:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riyx
I wouldn't say this is a typical result but I am running the game with maxed graphics with a lone 4870 and it's not having any problems. I don't have problems with it running EVE at maxed graphics either.

Buy a 5770 from newegg and if it's not enough ponies to pull it off then you can send it back and spring for a bigger card. Keep in mind that if you don't have the cpu or ram the card will be bottle necked anyways.

I am running a an 2.66ghz i7 with 4 gigs of ram on vista 32 and a bloodrage mobo. Wasn't the cheapest to build a year ago but anything more powerful is a waste of freaking cash.
Lt. Commander
# 14
01-13-2010, 09:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRaiders
I wouldn't say this is a typical result but I am running the game with maxed graphics with a lone 4870 and it's not having any problems. I don't have problems with it running EVE at maxed graphics either.

Buy a 5770 from newegg and if it's not enough ponies to pull it off then you can send it back and spring for a bigger card. Keep in mind that if you don't have the cpu or ram the card will be bottle necked anyways.

I am running a an 2.66ghz i7 with 4 gigs of ram on vista 32 and a bloodrage mobo. Wasn't the cheapest to build a year ago but anything more powerful is a waste of freaking cash.
Well, I know that's not completely true: you're not running max AA on that with three monitors unless you're running at 20 FPS.
Lt. Commander
# 15
01-13-2010, 09:47 AM
Something I would like to add to the request if I could is the ability to relocate where a hail pops up, the minimap, and the interaction buttons.

I personally am fine with them right now but I get no use out of the mini map because it's 2 feet from the action. The interaction buttons like "Warp to System Space" and "Teleport to Ship" are also way out in left field and get covered up by the tutorial box. Nothing seems to be tethered to the left limit of the screen and everything is tethered to the right limit or centered which means if anything happens on my almost 6ft wide screen it pops up right in the middle of what I am trying to do or it covers up other stuff.
Lt. Commander
# 16
01-13-2010, 09:50 AM
nice to see ppl using triple-screen setups
I dumped mine because my Parhelia just got too old, but it did handle Lotro quite well
Lt. Commander
# 17
01-13-2010, 09:51 AM
Quote:
Something I would like to add to the request if I could is the ability to relocate where a hail pops up, the minimap, and the interaction buttons.
Ditto!

We should have all UI elements remember their locations and most of them be resizeable.
Lt. Commander
# 18
01-13-2010, 09:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cipher_nemo View Post
Well, I know that's not completely true: you're not running max AA on that with three monitors unless you're running at 20 FPS.
It's possible because the only things I edited was maxing the view distance and the check box for "Max Graphics".

I gave the rest a cursory glance and didn't see anything out of place.

EVE doesn't really have AA either.
Lt. Commander
# 19
01-13-2010, 09:55 AM
Speaking of changing graphic settings did anyone else have problems doing that?

Anytime I clicked a graphic setting it would immediately go black screen and adjust the setting. Thats nice and all but when you are trying to adjust a slide bar its a bit of a problem.
Lt. Commander
# 20
01-13-2010, 09:55 AM
Quote:
It's possible because the only things I edited was maxing the view distance and the check box for "Max Graphics".

I gave the rest a cursory glance and didn't see anything out of place.

EVE doesn't really have AA either.
Ah, then you're not running at true max settings, you're just running at the pre-built config called max or whatever.

And are we talking STO or EVE? I'm talking about STO, not EVE. EVE requires much less. But EVE probably not max AA either.

If you choose advanced settings, then look at your anti-aliasing, I bet it's not maxed. And I bet a lot of other settings are not maxed on the max pre-set.