Lt. Commander
# 1 FilePlanet d/l
01-12-2010, 01:18 PM
So I had to do the download from FilePlanet being that I am getting a hard copy, not a digital one. After powercycling my router and getting in queue again the download completed, at least that is what the download manager said. I opened up the folder, open setup and I get the following pop-up: "The version of the file is not compatible with the version of Windows you're running. Check your computer's system information to see whether you need an x86 (32-bit) or x64 (64-bit) version of the program, and then contact the software publisher." Well I have Windows 7 64 bit and FilePlanet has only one file, only different mirrors.
Lt. Commander
# 2
01-12-2010, 01:38 PM
Please try deleting setup.exe and redownloading it from FP, the file is likely corrupt.
Lt. Commander
# 3
01-13-2010, 11:09 AM
I downloaded the file from FilePlanet again, still getting the same error when trying to run setup
Lt. Commander
# 4
01-13-2010, 11:14 AM
get away from fileplanet, everyone is having that same problem with them, file shack seems to be doing the same. you might try the STO downloader but some people are report fast download times and other are reporting time near 30 hours
Lt. Commander
# 5
01-13-2010, 11:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPT.Hamilton View Post
get away from fileplanet, everyone is having that same problem with them, file shack seems to be doing the same. you might try the STO downloader but some people are report fast download times and other are reporting time near 30 hours
Yup, coderanger mentions that FP sometimes corrupts downloads.

I'd just use the torrent. And if you get it during off-peak times, the straight download from Cryptic is relatively quick when few others are using their bandwidth/server processing power.
Lt. Commander
# 6
01-13-2010, 11:24 AM
Use FILESHACK I did. Its free server was fast 750/kb. fileplanet was 150/kb. The problem is that you need to use a 3rd party unpacker. 7-zip worked http://www.7-zip.org/download.html Give it a try! =]
Lt. Commander
# 7 I paid the 7 dollars...
01-13-2010, 11:24 AM
I ended up paying the 7 dollars for a FP subscription and I do have to say it did download alot faster. First I was waiting in the queue and I was in the queue with 45 minutes remaning for about 3 hours. After that I decided to just buy a damn subscription and download high speed. I selected the "choose server for me automatically maximum download" option on file planet after I had subscribed and it downloaded at roughly 400~450. Took about 5 and a half hours to download the whole thing on Qwest DSL.

Bottom Line: If you want to play it right away, pay the 7 dollars, and start it downloading before you go to work, it will be done by the time you get home.

And yes I know its just the beta...but I can be very impatient sometimes.

EDIT: I have heard people saying that the queue gets messed up or that the high speed download isn't high speed. My experience was that yes, the queue does get jacked up, I was running it in Firefox and eventually just got a "can't load the page" error. I then fired it up in IE and installed file planets little download manager program to do the actual download, of course even with that I was stuck in queue hell til I upgraded. Please note, I am not encouraging anyone to sign up for a file planet subscription, I'm just telling all the other impatient people out there how I went about getting it. Also, I think this goes without saying but, if you know someone that has already downloaded it, or have a friend that wants to download it, just copy the folder that it creates over to their computer via thumb drive or external hard drive.
Lt. Commander
# 8
01-13-2010, 11:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daxx View Post
I ended up paying the 7 dollars for a FP subscription and I do have to say it did download alot faster. First I was waiting in the queue and I was in the queue with 45 minutes remaning for about 3 hours. After that I decided to just buy a damn subscription and download high speed. I selected the "choose server for me automatically maximum download" option on file planet after I had subscribed and it downloaded at roughly 400~450. Took about 5 and a half hours to download the whole thing on Qwest DSL.

Bottom Line: If you want to play it right away, pay the 7 dollars, and start it downloading before you go to work, it will be done by the time you get home.
Ah, they roped ya in.

The torrent is going to be just as fast (at times, not all the time) and is free.
Lt. Commander
# 9
01-13-2010, 07:31 PM
I've tried the torrent three times at different points of the day, gets to about 3-7% then errors out saying files are missing. I have the STO D/Ler going, but it's been taking better part of a day or so
Lt. Commander
# 10
01-13-2010, 08:15 PM
I was using torrent for a bit but was way too slow. I got it from the newsgroups in 2 hours ..